Traveling skirted

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Wesley

Traveling skirted

Post by Wesley »

I'm planning to wear a kilted skirt when I fly out on a business trip in a couple weeks. It will be my most public exposure ever. I'm looking forward to the experience, as it seems like a good way to break through a personal barrier.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Traveling skirted

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Wesley wrote:I'm planning to wear a kilted skirt when I fly out on a business trip in a couple weeks. It will be my most public exposure ever. I'm looking forward to the experience, as it seems like a good way to break through a personal barrier.
I fly skirted all of the time and have had no problems at all. In fact it seems to get me more attention from the flight attendants and extra goodies from them as well.
So go for it you will enjoy your flight even more!! :cheers:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
Wesley wrote:I'm planning to wear a kilted skirt when I fly out on a business trip in a couple weeks. It will be my most public exposure ever. I'm looking forward to the experience, as it seems like a good way to break through a personal barrier.
I fly skirted all of the time and have had no problems at all. In fact it seems to get me more attention from the flight attendants and extra goodies from them as well.
So go for it you will enjoy your flight even more!! :cheers:
have you had any problems going through security ?
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Good plan! Are you travelling with anyone you know? If so, oh well, I suppose they'd find out anyway, might as well get it over with. If not, you'll have the shelter of anonymity.

The only problem I've had travelling is with metal decorations in places that wouldn't be normal for pants. Buckles on utility kilts are a prime example. The x-rays will pick those up and the security people may wand you or open and inspect your bag, possibly in a side room. It's not hostile, though; they're just following procedure and it only takes a few minutes. But you can avoid the whole routine by wearing a skirt that doesn't have extra metal.

And for the sake of whoever sits next to you, don't wear anything too short.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Wesley

Post by Wesley »

Caultron wrote:
Good plan! Are you travelling with anyone you know? If so, oh well, I suppose they'd find out anyway, might as well get it over with. If not, you'll have the shelter of anonymity.

The only problem I've had travelling is with metal decorations in places that wouldn't be normal for pants. Buckles on utility kilts are a prime example. The x-rays will pick those up and the security people may wand you or open and inspect your bag, possibly in a side room. It's not hostile, though; they're just following procedure and it only takes a few minutes. But you can avoid the whole routine by wearing a skirt that doesn't have extra metal.

And for the sake of whoever sits next to you, don't wear anything too short.
I'm traveling alone, so the anonymity is a plus - unless someone unexpected shows up on the flight!

I've already thought about the metal detector. The skirt I'm wearing has only 2 small metal buckles and I will not wear a pin to keep the apron closed when I go through (I'll put it in my carry-on). I don't mind being wanded. The skirt is a woman's kilt - about 28" long instead of the standard 24" (though it does close left-to-right). I prefer to keep my knees covered.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I've never had any problems at airport security, and I've flown skirted several times.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Wesley wrote:...I'm traveling alone, so the anonymity is a plus - unless someone unexpected shows up on the flight!...
Have fun!

Are you going to be skirted at your destination as well? Or at least evenings?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Wesley

Post by Wesley »

Caultron wrote:
Wesley wrote:...I'm traveling alone, so the anonymity is a plus - unless someone unexpected shows up on the flight!...
Have fun!

Are you going to be skirted at your destination as well? Or at least evenings?
No. It would be bad for business.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Wesley wrote:It would be bad for business.
This is one of the many perceptions that truly deserve quashing. Folks engaged in business really should have the smarts to look beyond initial shallow impressions to get a better idea of the what character of the individuals involved is. Folks in general should take the time to look beyond the surface. The faster we make snap decisions the more often we make mistakes.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

eightofnine wrote:have you had any problems going through security ?
No Never had any problems with the TSA. They treat it as something normal unless the alarm goes off, Which for me it never has. So go for it!!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Last year the only trousers I went with was a pair of white Levis that were a bit tight around the waist [0]. During the all-inclusive holiday I put on a pound or two which meant that I couldn't wear the jeans. MOH offered me a pair of her fuchsia pink legging that I declined [1]. So instead I wore, much to the chagrin of my family, a sarong, folded lengthwise, so it looked much like a wrap-around knee length skirt. It was a welcome experience since I was actually reasonably comfortable [2], as much as anyone can be, in the cramped seating in cattle class. We were "inspected" three times coming out of Egypt and the reaction of the guard tasked with "patting me down" was amusing as his hands didn't know where to go and still be legal. All but once I was just waved through.

[0] Deliberately so that they would be tighter on exit from Egypt and maybe unwearable.
[1] Sometimes I wish that I had accepted as I would have looked, I hope, more ridiculous than if I was wearing a skirt.
[2] No tightness in the crotch area at all and because of the extra material in the sarong I could still sit with my legs apart and be decent.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

I travelled by rail and air to the Balearic Isles last year in a
lightweight olive green cotton utility kilt and seemed to attract no notice at all -- and the passage through airport security in both directions was unusually quick and easy. But that was a holiday trip to a holiday destination.

The problem with wearing a skirt on a business trip is
going to be that unless it yields spectacularly good results, unsympathetic bosses may blame any shortcomings on the skirt and the wearer's attitude. Even if you work for a skirt-tolerant employer, there could be difficulties if you have to deal with business partners who are less so.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:
Wesley wrote:It would be bad for business.
This is one of the many perceptions that truly deserve quashing. Folks engaged in business really should have the smarts to look beyond initial shallow impressions to get a better idea of the what character of the individuals involved is. Folks in general should take the time to look beyond the surface. The faster we make snap decisions the more often we make mistakes.
While I do agree on principle, in the practical world I believe Wesley is right to be careful. I myself have a two week training coming up in October where I will be at the corporate headquarters in Troy Ohio. Though I will have my nights and that one weekend free, since I will be in the company van and always representing the company while up there I have elected to just go with trousers for this one.

Though my present employer probably wouldn't care either way, after that whole debacle with Food City, I just don't want to go there again and chance dealing with the drama. I've adopted the phrase "business of pleasure" when it comes to wearing skirts. If it's "business" I wear trousers. Is it right? No. But it seems like every time I mix skirts with business it ends badly for me. Again... is it right or fair? No, but I've still got to put food on the table.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Same for me. The business world does not really want someone making a spectacle and drawing attention to themselves, possibly detracting. If it was office based, and the boss doesn't mind, then something conservative in a black or navy knee length is fine. Customer-facing roles could put off potential customers who might think your business is 'a joke'. Is that right? I don't think so, but sometimes it's about making things also easy for yourself and making a living.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

The only "problem" I had flying skirted, was having a pacemaker, I declined to go through the scanner. So I got a pat down instead. I think the guy doing it was a bit put off by my skirt, he seemed somewhat embarrassed.