Glad Carl is back

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Glad Carl is back

Post by moonshadow »

The cafe just isn't the same with our our friend Mr. Friend around.

Now that he's back, we can start engaging in our long drawn out online conversations again! :wink:

Sorry Dan... :P :D
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Glad Carl is back

Post by Sinned »

No offence Moon, but I'm not sure the long conversations come from Carl!!!! Many of your posts are multiple screens although partly in your defense you post a fair few photographs, as good as they are. LOL.

But yes, it is good to have Carl back.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Same here and I'm looking forward to his chronicle of events on the Ocean Wave in due time.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Ahh.. but where would human civilization be if not for our long writings?

I believe the greatest invention of humankind was the creation of the written word. Pictures have their place sure... but the written word stokes the imagination! And imagination is the precursor to innovation!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Moon this is an open forum and you have the right to participate as you see fit. I am speaking for myself now. I find a lot of what is being posted as interesting . If Its not I just don't have to read it.

maybe with everything that is going on I just have a short attention span . I find one thought at a time maybe accompanied by a picture more enjoyable. I like your photo stories, and I think that if you pan back over some of your older posts you will find that more than once you have used the phrase "a Picture is worth a thousand words"
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Do not worry oldsalt... I'm just razzing ya a little... all in good fun!

:P

Besides if you want to see long winded... you should see the comment I just posted to YouTube! :shock: :D
-Andrea
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Why would anyone post a comment on YouTube? There's plenty of nonsense and hatred there to disagree with, but any time I am tempted, I stop and remind myself that no good will come of it.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Thank you, Gentlemen, thank you very much for your sentiments. It is, indeed, good to be home from the sea.
Kirbstone wrote:Same here and I'm looking forward to his chronicle of events on the Ocean Wave in due time.
I'm still processing the events of the past week, and there's quite a lot to digest including blinding fog in tight waters, 30+ knot winds on an exposed mooring, stinging cold rain, more fog, mild hypothermia, and a 45 minute session with 6+ foot chop at the confluence of the Cape Cod Canal and Buzzards Bay. 'Twas challenging to be sure, and is likely best described as the sort of trip that "builds character" (whatever that may be).

A cogent recollection should follow once I regain my land-legs.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

skirtyscot wrote:Why would anyone post a comment on YouTube? There's plenty of nonsense and hatred there to disagree with, but any time I am tempted, I stop and remind myself that no good will come of it.
The video I felt was well meaning, though I found that the "youtuber" who did the video failed to realize she was acting similarly to her male counterparts of the 1950's with regards to "feminine men".

My aim was to make my response thoughtful and polite.

As I do believe, it is difficult to convey a gentlemanly response in just a few words. Much like the men of antiquity who wrote long pamphlets and documents, some matters require deep explanation.

But you will probably be correct skirtyscot, for the dismal state of humanity as it is today, the thread will probably render itself full of crass and unsightly comments such as:

"u de problm wit the wrld u homo fagit"

How unfortunate, and how ironic, that as innovative as the world wide web is, I fear it will result in the violent extinction of humanity. For thousands of years, we as a species have created long and elaborate means of expression through written word, only to have it reduced to 10 words or less, "text talk", and so forth in a matter of two decades... :|

There are enough typographical errors in the comment that I didn't bother to correct, perhaps if I'm lucky the whole comment will simply be ignored rather than result in my witnessing of the verbal barbarianism that has become "social media".

One reason I like this site so much, is it's one of the last few spaces online where gentleman can have civil conversations, even if we disagree at times.
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:[...] verbal barbarianism [...]
That phrase needs to become part of the modern vernacular! I love it!

I may not be the last one on the planet who endeavours to write in complete sentences, segregate separate thoughts into paragraphs, and generally use proper punctuation, but boy it sometimes feels like it. The sad part is that I altogether too frequently take an inordinate amount of heat for my perseverance with the written language.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

A Dutch saying goes:"Wie schrijft, blijft." Losely translated it says: who writes, stays and it means that when you write, people may read your writings, maybe long after you die.

During my technical education, I had the minimum of conversational English. But I read a lot in English so sometimes my writing does not seem right. I have no idea what is wrong but by changing or shifting a few words, it feels better. This handicap in English is quite frustrating for me because in Dutch I write more or less in the style of Carl.

The good thing is: my writings in English are most of the time short.;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:...I may not be the last one on the planet who endeavours to write in complete sentences, segregate separate thoughts into paragraphs, and generally use proper punctuation, but boy it sometimes feels like it. The sad part is that I altogether too frequently take an inordinate amount of heat for my perseverance with the written language.
I try, and in fact I used to be a professional author of computer books. I had one published by Addison-Wesley and twelve by Microsoft Press. You could find them at Barns & Noble, Borders, Amazon, Herrods...

(Finding one of my books being sold at Herrods was quite a trip, BTW.)

But even so, typing into an iPad, auto-spell-corrupt, and not having everything reviewed by three editors does result in the occasional airror.

As to some posts being long-winded, I have this advice: skim.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Carl, proper grammar and punctuation is important to me too. After all I did go to a Grammar School with high standards and my Primary School was excellent preparation too. I'm sometimes tempted to correct mistakes on this site but don't want to appear presumptuous in doing so. beachlion, as a user where English is their second language you can be forgiven [0]. English is flexible enough that you can switch words in a sentence around and still get something intelligible AND stay within the grammar rules. "To boldly go ...." did more to make the split infinitive moderately acceptable than anything else recently. So don't worry, as long as we are all trying ( and I am very trying at times ) then all will be ok. I find that the English fascination with double entendres interesting and the play on the sounds of words sometimes absolute genious. Ronnie Barker was a maestro at this. One of the old ones as an example. It appeared in "Carry On Cleo" and spoken by Kenneth Williams, "Infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me." [1]

[0] I couldn't string a sentence together in Dutch!
[1] It appears that this was far older than the film and there is still speculation as to who penned it and when.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.