Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by pelmut »

If you make your own skirts, you soon discover that fitting a zip next to a pocket is more difficult than fitting it in the front or back. A good compromise is to put the zip in one side seam and a pocket in the other.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Daryl wrote:I was mostly replying with what someone mentioned about the front zipper looking more masculine or normal in mind, and I think specifically in a denim skirt so the fly was in fact intended to be seen. Now I am being told that women's skirts often have an invisible fly in the front? Have I got that right? I might have carelessly used "zipper" and "fly" synonymously.
Well, if one takes the sort of skirt that's based on jeans, those tend to have a left-over-right flap of fabric that hides the zip in precisely the same way that is the case with men's jeans. I have not once seen a "hidden" (e.g. discreet) zip placed in the front; those, as far as I can tell, are universally at the side or the rear. There is a new-ish trend toward "industrial-strength" zips that are glaringly visible as if to call attention to the fact that, "Hey, there's a zipper here!"

Of the skirts I have which have zippers, all are of the "hidden" variety and all are on the left side or the rear. I don't have any with highly-visible ones, nor do I have any "jeans skirts", but that's out of personal choice and style preferences.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

It wouldn't make sense to put an invisible zip in the front of the skirt. They are not actually invisible, and since the designer obviously doesn't want it to be noticeable, it goes somewhere much less obtrusive: side or rear. Many skirts do not have a seam down the middle of the front, and you wouldn't put one in just to accommodate a zip. It would affect how a light fabric draped or moved.

Jeans skirts - there's a clue in the name! Front fly mimics jeans. One of mine even has a button fly. It's from Gap, where else?

This evening's skirt has a front centre seam and the zip is at the back. Dirty great industrial strength one, so it is. Not a feature you often see at the front, though I have seen them.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:Jeans skirts - there's a clue in the name! Front fly mimics jeans. One of mine even has a button fly. It's from Gap, where else?
That, sir, was a brilliant play on words! Thank you!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Aberdeen Pub today, lived up to our dour reputation today.
Service adequate, conversation nil and beer perfect.
First time there in a skirt, mini to suit the weather.
These folks are serious drinkers, I could have been nude.
Crossword complete and diary addressed, productive morning.
Steve.
Andy_G

Post by Andy_G »

I know Aberdeen well. Which pub?
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

STEVIE wrote:...These folks are serious drinkers, I could have been nude...
What a wonderful place! The perfect escape from life's little irritations.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirts4me
Distinguished Member

Post by skirts4me »

On Thursday evening just gone I was in Melbourne and met up with another Skirt Café member for a snack and drink. Not being sure of the safety of the area close to China Town I had arrived in drain pipes. I changed quickly into a black knee-length A-line skirt once we had met and gone into the venue. Had a wonderful discussion as we ate at the bar, and then walked 3km back to the unit I was camped at for the night. Much more comfortable than what I'd been wearing for the rest of the day, despite the temperature hovering around 6°C and me, in the morning, having left Perth which enjoyed an unusually warm day of 27°. Thanks David.
Shalom
Steven
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Andy,
It was the Northern Bar on George Sreet.
What my daughter calls an "auld mannies' pub.
George Street is a really cosmopolitan place these days but I doubt if the Northern has changed much since my Dad's time.
He died in 1969.
Steve.
Andy_G

Post by Andy_G »

Yeah, I know the place.

Aberdeen always struck me as quite a conservative city. How do you find you’re recieved in the centre? Ever had any issues?
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Dundee today in blue knee-length denim, bringing Sontwo home from university. Mrs SS came along too, and not a hint of complaint from either of them. And the locals hardly seemed to notice my skirt, such is the magical power of denim. It helped that the sun was shining and plenty of people were in shorts.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Went to the builder's merchants today in a denim miniskirt and a very dirty pink tee shirt (I'm replacing fence posts - while wearing a skirt, of course).
Walked up to the counter, ordered the bag of concrete and went round to the warehouse to pick it up. No-one said a thing about the skirt, if they even noticed. Driving there and back was a pleasure in the skirt :D
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Visiting York this week, I was ambling along the Scarcroft Road in my black/white/grey camouflage utility kilt and a white polo shirt when a man carrying shopping approached. I didn't see his face clearly because the sun was behind him -- but as he passed, he called out, "What an absolutely +fantastic+ piece of kit!". So unexpectedly positive was this reaction that he was already on his way by the time I managed to get my thanks out.

Since York seems to be a fairly skirt-friendly, or at least skirt-tolerant city, It would have been interesting to know whether he was another wearer, or was considering it.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

geron wrote:...as he passed, he called out, "What an absolutely +fantastic+ piece of kit!"...
Score 1.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

pelmut wrote:If you make your own skirts, you soon discover that fitting a zip next to a pocket is more difficult than fitting it in the front or back. A good compromise is to put the zip in one side seam and a pocket in the other.
I don't make internal pockets, only surface mounted ones. It's just easier and it's worked out so far.
Daryl...