Decided to do it!

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
webboy42

Re: Decided to do it!

Post by webboy42 »

Andy_G wrote:Well, first thing to say is people DO notice. No nasty comments or anything like that, but everyone that noticed looked long and hard. It was obvious that once they noticed they also talked to who they were with about what they saw. The people that didn’t look surprised were the people that didn’t see. When I’m in a kilt, nobody bats an eyelid but I was aware of being much more of an outlier. It seems that the world at large doesn’t really seem ready for mean wearing skirts yet, no matter how polite they might be to your face. Those that talk positively about it I can’t say are representative of the general population as they seem to be a self selected sample.

It wasn’t an unpleasant experience, and I’ll probably do it again. However the reaction wasn’t quite as muted as I’d expected.
The reality is that men in skirts, especially in the western world, just aren't that common, so naturally some people will be surprised when they see it. lol I know my mum was definitely surprised when she finally noticed.

Honestly, I wouldn't be worried about someone who notices and starts talking to someone else about it. Being vision impaired, I can't see when this happens, but I went through a similar experience with my mum when she realized I was wearing a skirt because she was talking on the phone at the time. After she finished asking me about it, I heard her talking quite animatedly about the fact I was wearing a skirt as I was walking away, and she's cool with it.

Another experience I had involved a local shopkeeper. She had actually noticed my skirt on my first time out but didn't comment until I brought it up the next time. She was saying that I could set a new trend in the area, and I pointed out that I wasn't the first man to wear a skirt. As I walked out of the shop, it sounded like she was talking positively about men in skirts to the next customer.

My point is, if people are talking about you as you're walking away, it's only because a man in a skirt is still such a novel concept and it isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Andy_G

Post by Andy_G »

Maybe it was quite a bold choice, but if it's about having the freedom to wear what you want then I guess that was achieved!! Maybe I'll go for something a little more understated next time and see if I get noticed any less!! Looking back, it was a quite a fun experience.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Andy_G wrote:...Looking back, it was a quite a fun experience.
Congratulations. You've arrived. Enjoy!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

webboy42 wrote:My point is, if people are talking about you as you're walking away, it's only because a man in a skirt is still such a novel concept and it isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Exactly! Perfectly said my friend!
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

I decided to do it. Despite the years of skirting and kilting I still get very nervous going out in a skirt or kilt where I might be seen by people. I even have jitters going kilted to a local Celtic festival or Scottish pub, I can't figure out myself on this one. I'm so weird.
I pushed myself Tonight i put on my denim skort and ventured to the store. I put myself on a mission to do my shopping. the store was not overly busy, so that helped. I maby passed 12 people going the opposite direction. Non event. Going to go out again soon till I get my confidence built up. Pictures of the front and back, I removed the blue drawstring. I got lucky on these, they have a nice roomy seat in them. And are about 2 inches above the knee when standing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

mishawakaskirt wrote:I decided to do it. Despite the years of skirting and kilting I still get very nervous going out in a skirt or kilt where I might be seen by people. I even have jitters going kilted to a local Celtic festival or Scottish pub, I can't figure out myself on this one. I'm so weird.
I pushed myself Tonight i put on my denim skort and ventured to the store. I put myself on a mission to do my shopping. the store was not overly busy, so that helped. I maby passed 12 people going the opposite direction. Non event. Going to go out again soon till I get my confidence built up. Pictures of the front and back, I removed the blue drawstring. I got lucky on these, they have a nice roomy seat in them. And are about 2 inches above the knee when standing.
Wearing blue denim skirts skorts or shorts is tantamount to wearing camouflage as long as you don't overdo it by putting a feather in your cap and calling it macaroni !

Obviously you did not wear just the denim skort - You didn't note what you were mixing and matching for a top and what was the footwear of choice !

So congratulations you passed the Introductory phase of skirted clothing 101 - now in lesson two yada yada yada - good luck with your Mission Impossible Mr. Phelps aka
"mishawakaskirt" your mission is to breach skirted protocol and venture out more frequently and often - this tape will self destruct in 10 seconds - fizzle fizzle poof !

Upon further review it would appear if the skort portion poses a comfort problem then cutting out the interior shorts maybe the solution to real comfort.
The dividing factor in the juncture of the twin pipes can be eliminated simply with a scissors !
With the hem line breaking near the knee there certainly is room to perform this surgery while keeping modesty and exposure in check.
However remember the carpenters rule "measure twice and cut once" - know what you are cutting (trimming) into - and certainly don't do this while wearing the skort ! LOL !

Final note: - What is the brand of the skort ? Can't read the print on the draw string - "Old Navy" "Columbia" Champion ?
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I had an interesting incident yesterday. I went in to a store to buy a lottery ticket while wearing an above the knee skirt. I thought no one noticed, and then a lady looked me in the eye and said, "you have nice legs." I didn't know how to act or what to say. I sort of turned all the way around for a better look and said, "thank you." I really was in shock and embarrassed and didn't know how to react. I think I did it well and I still don't know how many customers were aware as I just walked out and went to my car. I later woke up to the reality that she actually meant it and approved of my skirted look.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:I had an interesting incident yesterday. I went in to a store to buy a lottery ticket while wearing an above the knee skirt. I thought no one noticed, and then a lady looked me in the eye and said, "you have nice legs." I didn't know how to act or what to say.
[...] I later woke up to the reality that she actually meant it and approved of my skirted look.
You have crossed a barrier without realising it.  Women often say things like this to each other but there is an invisible barrier that prevents them from saying anything to a man.  A skirt seems to remove that barrier so, even though she knew you were a man, she responded to you as she would respond to another woman.

Has anyone else noticed this happens with skirts but not with kilts?
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
webboy42

Post by webboy42 »

pelmut wrote:You have crossed a barrier without realising it.  Women often say things like this to each other but there is an invisible barrier that prevents them from saying anything to a man.  A skirt seems to remove that barrier so, even though she knew you were a man, she responded to you as she would respond to another woman.

Has anyone else noticed this happens with skirts but not with kilts?
I don't have experience with kilts to compare with, but it seems like more people talk to me when I wear a skirt compared with when I wear shorts. The nice thing is that wearing a skirt seems to take attention away from my white cane meaning that the first thing people say is more likely "hello" than "do you need help".
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

mishawakaskirt wrote:...Tonight i put on my denim skort and ventured to the store. I put myself on a mission to do my shopping. the store was not overly busy, so that helped. I maby passed 12 people going the opposite direction. Non event...
Congratulations! From here it only gets easier.

Maybe you're ready for an actual denim skirt next time, eh?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:...a lady looked me in the eye and said, "you have nice legs."...
Indeed, something like this does occasionally happen. "I like your outfit," is another variation. Just smile and thank them in a friendly way. If you want to prolong the conversation ask something like, "Do you think it's too short?" or, "Do you think these shoes are OK with this outfit?"

To me, these little conversations are fun and interesting. It's nice to know someone else likes the way you look and dress, and that they accept you. And in my prior life I'm sure no one ever came up to me and said, "I like your pants."

caultron
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

r.m.anderson wrote: Obviously you did not wear just the denim skort - You didn't note what you were mixing and matching for a top and what was the footwear of choice !

So congratulations you passed the Introductory phase of skirted clothing 101 - now in lesson two yada yada yada - good luck with your Mission Impossible Mr. Phelps aka
"mishawakaskirt" your mission is to breach skirted protocol and venture out more frequently and often - this tape will self destruct in 10 seconds - fizzle fizzle poof !

Upon further review it would appear if the skort portion poses a comfort problem then cutting out the interior shorts maybe the solution to real comfort.
The dividing factor in the juncture of the twin pipes can be eliminated simply with a scissors !
With the hem line breaking near the knee there certainly is room to perform this surgery while keeping modesty and exposure in check.
However remember the carpenters rule "measure twice and cut once" - know what you are cutting (trimming) into - and certainly don't do this while wearing the skort ! LOL !

Final note: - What is the brand of the skort ? Can't read the print on the draw string - "Old Navy" "Columbia" Champion ?
Good point RM, I didn't go top less or shoe less. Nothing special, a yellow and green Joe's crab shack (seafood chain restaurant in the US) t shirt and pair of brown leather work / trail shoes with short white socks.
Skirts and a few skorts are all I really care to acquire from the other side of the aisle. The other stuff don't appeal to me.

MISSION ACCEPTED :) I will venture out skorted or skirted again.

This particular skort is comfortable and with the shorts portion visible from the rear, I don't know if the inseam removal would go well or would look quite right. I would have to hem the middle of the back. I have to save something to wear for if I ever get the urge to go to the play ground and go down a slide ;)

The brand is called Bongo Jeans. And from what I can tell they are no longer around. It's a shame those things are built like a tank, thick denim, decent pockets. Ever since I got those I keep watching eBay for more Bongo Jeans clothing in my size. Nothing so far.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Andy_G wrote:Well, first thing to say is people DO notice. No nasty comments or anything like that, but everyone that noticed looked long and hard. It was obvious that once they noticed they also talked to who they were with about what they saw. The people that didn’t look surprised were the people that didn’t see. When I’m in a kilt, nobody bats an eyelid but I was aware of being much more of an outlier.

It wasn’t an unpleasant experience, and I’ll probably do it again. However the reaction wasn’t quite as muted as I’d expected.
Understand this was your first time, and whether you realize it or not, the public can smell your fear! It will get better as you acclimate yourself to wearing skirts in public. TRUST ME. I got some pretty odd looks just wearing a plain black Macabi and tee-shirt when it was FIRST time out. Today I've been known to wear ringed petticoats, frilly tops, Mary Janes, etc, etc, and I never even notice the looks. Maybe they're still looking? I wouldn't know.
It seems that the world at large doesn’t really seem ready for mean wearing skirts yet, no matter how polite they might be to your face.
So? Who cares what the world is ready for? Most people don't care. Those few who do... f--- 'em! It's your life man.. they don't pay your bills.
Granted, most guys don't want to wear skirts, and most women don't understand guys who wear skirts, but that doesn't mean they're going to tie you to a stake and set you ablaze. Pretty much everyone accepts everyones right to do what we want provided we're not being a big nuisance about it.
Maybe I'll go for something a little more understated next time and see if I get noticed any less!!
But why? If you do that you'll have less of this:
...it was a quite a fun experience.
If you like the skirt... wear it! To hell with the haters! There's not as many as you think...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.