Roseanne sitcom restart

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Roseanne sitcom restart

Post by kingfish »

I was surprised.

They have a full on freestyler as a regular character. The youngest boy on the show, Mark, comes on screen dressed like a girl his age. They were more supportive of it than I expected, and it wasn't a the major source of dramatic conflict for the episode. (Those went to the political left-right divide between Jackie and Roseanne and her eldest daughter deciding to take a surrogate motherhood gig.) They did ask the usual questions and cracked the standard joke or two but otherwise acted supportive.

It is going to be interesting to see how it develops.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Roseanne sitcom restart

Post by Caultron »

The question for me is whether I can stomach the rest of the show just to see what they do with this Mark character.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I will hold my opinion until I see the show, recorded it and will watch it later. I did not like the show before and I do not care for some of the actor on the show.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Watched it, mostly impressed, I will be curious how far they will push the envelope in the coming episodes. I'll be curious to see if they keep him a boy in a skirt, or if they will push him into the trans sexual box.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I used to like Roseanne back in the day, I hope it gets aired over here in the U of K.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Pleats

Post by Pleats »

mishawakaskirt wrote:Watched it, mostly impressed, I will be curious how far they will push the envelope in the coming episodes. I'll be curious to see if they keep him a boy in a skirt, or if they will push him into the trans sexual box.
I did not watch the show. You concern is mine also. Boy wants to wear a skirt so everyone thinks he wants to be a girl. How about a boy that wants to wear a skirt as a boy? I get annoyed at the only path a boy in a skirt can go is down the transgender route. When I was in school I wanted to wear a skirt as a boy. I had no interest in being a girl.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

mishawakaskirt wrote:Watched it, mostly impressed, I will be curious how far they will push the envelope in the coming episodes. I'll be curious to see if they keep him a boy in a skirt, or if they will push him into the trans sexual box.
I didn't watch the show, and likely won't (having had my fill of that genre back in the '80s and '90s), but my main worry mirrors yours about when the trans-* agenda will start getting pushed.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

From what I've read, the boy wears a skirt - AS A BOY.
Nothing "Trans*" about it nor will there be.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Uncle Al wrote:From what I've read, the boy wears a skirt - AS A BOY.
Nothing "Trans*" about it nor will there be.
That may be the case now, but my worry is that the writers and the editorialisers behind the writers will change the character over time to become trans-*. It's worth recalling that we are dealing in fiction here.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Having now watched the first two episodes I can say that it will end up being used to talk about going trans and not continue to be just a boy in a skirt. :(
I have it set to record all of the new episodes so we will see. As for the show itself just a remake of all of the old BS of Rosanne from the old show just updated some. :puker:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

"Trans" is today's fashionable cause.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:"Trans" is today's fashionable cause.
This creates problems for the 90+% that aren't -- big problems.

I'm not so sure I'd even use the term "fashionable". I suspect my inner bastard would use something more along the line of "twee", or possibly something more derisive. I am entirely sick of "The Cause of the Moment". How about letting people be people, and allowing them freedom of choice, freedom of thought, and -- gasp -- even free will? Without labelling them as some sort of "pervert"?

To Fred's comment about it being "the same old BS" I cannot say. I do not have a working television set in my domicile with an external feed. I rather like it that way. It's much better than where I used to dwell...
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

crfriend wrote: I am entirely sick of "The Cause of the Moment". How about letting people be people, and allowing them freedom of choice, freedom of thought, and -- gasp -- even free will? Without labelling them as some sort of "pervert"?
I'm sorry you feel that transgender is getting over-exposure, but that is what happens when people who have had to stay hidden because of something over which they had no choice or free will, eventually find the courage to 'come out'. Unfortunately there are a lot of ignorant bigots who are using religion or feminism to stir up hatred and fear against transpeople - and this accounts for much of the 'noise' in the media and the perception by some people that to be born transgender is a perversion. Given that this is happening and that the hatred is even being enshrined in law in some states of the U.S., transpeople quite reasonably have reacted against it and are trying to make their voices heard (despite the fact that most of them would rather just be allowed to shut up and get on with their lives). The resultant clamour is what you hear as "the Cause of the Moment".

When the bigots turn their attention to bullying some other minority group, the media will loose interest and transpeople will be regarded as no more remarkable than left-handers. Then we can stop having to defend ourselves and get back to living our lives quietly, invisibly and unremarkably - which is the way we would like to live them.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Still waiting on the placement of the trans line.... (the point where one ceases to be cis and starts being trans)

Until the gender authorities place such line, as far as I'm concerned trans is just another characteristic of all people...

But worry not.... nobody sets their watch according to my logic, I am, after all, completely insane. So cis people are safe.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote:I'm sorry you feel that transgender is getting over-exposure, but that is what happens when people who have had to stay hidden because of something over which they had no choice or free will, eventually find the courage to 'come out'.
This is just the latest in a long line of "Causes of the Moment", and I'm starting to suffer from a really bad case of "compassion fatigue" when it comes to popular "causes". This does not mean that I'm insensitive to the (any) issue, it means that I'm sick of the latest one dominating the landscape when there are larger issues to be tackled that affect everyone, not just a small minority. We should be -- and behave as -- a society, not a collection of balkanised special interests each with axes to grind.
Unfortunately there are a lot of ignorant bigots who are using religion or feminism to stir up hatred and fear against transpeople - and this accounts for much of the 'noise' in the media and the perception by some people that to be born transgender is a perversion.
Those are mostly the ones who I wish would shut up.
Then we can stop having to defend ourselves and get back to living our lives quietly, invisibly and unremarkably - which is the way we would like to live them.
Wouldn't that be nice. That's the way it should be, actually -- and I suspect would be if other small minorities would simply grow up and shut up. What ever happened to "Live and let live"? Or, "Love thy neighbour"?