St Patrick's Day greeting

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

St Patrick's Day greeting

Post by Kirbstone »

To One and All Forum surfers...

Have a good St Patrick's Day. They have informed us here that the 'Beast from the East' will return giving us a zero temp. range with a blow and snow showers on both Sat. and Sunday. So much for Spring, & I'm supposed to be going galley-slaving in those conditions.

Dug out my greenest pic. which is a few years old now, but I've nothing current to offer.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Re: St Patrick's Day greeting

Post by SkirtsDad »

I love the colour. Happy St. Patrick's day.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

The Beast from the East is there alright ( 30 degrees F, feeling like 14 F due to wind of 7 Bft), but is countered by means of boots, tights and knee length leather skirt whilst walking the dog. Sorry, not in green
Do enjoy St Patrick.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gusto10 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feeling freedom
Distinguished Member

Post by Feeling freedom »

Fantastic! Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Personal style is important to me. Even when my outfits may contain skirts, tights and great ankle or riding length boots! I enjoy fashion and am excited to get in on the conversations with the like minded!
Dick Ackerman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dick Ackerman »

Happy St Patrick's day to you sir.
Taj
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Taj »

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all. We have had a high near 70F today and all over town folks of any heritage have been celebrating. It might have a lot to do with beginning the year's festival cycle and food/drink. People here love a party. I, on the other hand, prefer a quiet walk in the mountains, and a wee dram with a book and the cat in the evening.
You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Hey what a nice outfit and a beautiful dog!!!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

FFA, He's my Benjy, all 98lbs of him. Now 11+ and his clock is ticking.

As a footnote to the St Patrick's Day greeting I just had to submit this galley-slaving-in-the-snow pic. Taken by one of the crew as we slipped. That's me way up in the bow (where they put the geriatrics). One can see the standing waves on the river generated by the strong Easterly against the flow. Temp. was minus 2 deg.C and it didn't stop snowing the whole outing, which we wisely truncated.
It says a lot for the individual commitment and loyalty to the crew that all nine of us showed up for that outing, several of us driving up to 40 miles to do so. I left quickly to get home before the snow got too deep. My trip was 30 mi. and it was a close call.

Tom
Rs OCBC Outing Mar 18 2018..jpg
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

My, my, Tom those conditions do look dire. The chap in the foreground is certainly not enjoying himself very much.

The standing waves are impressive. What was the water temperature -- or did no-one have the courage to look or ask?

We had white-caps on the reservoir to my north-by-north-west yesterday and a couple of rather spectacular breakers on some of the rip-rap that protects the south dike. But, at least for us, the sun was out and the temperature was just slightly above where water goes solid. The weather boffins seem to have called off the storm that they predicted for this coming week as there's nothing but cold to "look forward" to (a fair bit below normal).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Kirbstone wrote:...It says a lot for the individual commitment and loyalty to the crew that all nine of us showed up for that outing, several of us driving up to 40 miles to do so. I left quickly to get home before the snow got too deep. My trip was 30 mi. and it was a close call...
Dedication feels good, eh?

"Nothing that comes easy in this world is ever worth a damn."

- Woody Hayes (iconic football coach at Ohio State University)

“Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty… I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Last edited by Caultron on Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Too right, Coultron. Try rowing the last 200 meters of a multi-lane side-by-side race at 40+ strokes per minute.
That doesn't come easy.

Tom

Btw. Stand with a light barbell, 40- 45lbs total on a low bench, say 1 foot high. Almost touch the floor(beyond your toes) between lifts right up to the top of your chest,(power clean) 240 times in 6 minutes and you're an Olympic standard endurance athlete.

Old fogies like us are encouraged to aim for just half that, 120 lifts in 3 minutes.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

The aurora borelis seemingly participated in the festivities Saturday last:
https://twitter.com/Aurora_ireland
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Gusto,

Warm black leather outfit that. Nice. Great aurora posting, too.

In late September on a night flight back from Montreal to Shannon I had a left side window seat and as soon as darkness descended I was entertained to THE most spectacular aurora display imaginable at 36000 feet. They darkened the cabin lights so the punters could sleep but I watched the horizon to horizon coloured curtains display for hours until we suddenly flew into the Dawn... in a second the scene switched to the blue-white-blue of bright daytime, which remained for a couple of hours until up front the iridescent green of Co. Clare came up at 11 o'clock. It's no wonder the Yanks use the term 'Emerald Isle'. That's their first glimpse of the place from altitude.

Tom

P.S. Another 'aurora' happened at Twickers on St Pat's Day...
vlcsnap-2018-03-17- Ireland Grand Slam champions at Trickenham.jpg
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Kirbstone wrote:...Stand with a light barbell, 40- 45lbs total on a low bench, say 1 foot high. Almost touch the floor(beyond your toes) between lifts right up to the top of your chest,(power clean) 240 times in 6 minutes and you're an Olympic standard endurance athlete.

Old fogies like us are encouraged to aim for just half that, 120 lifts in 3 minutes.
Been there, done that, except that instead of a 40-45lbs barbell I used a beer.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Caultron wrote:
Kirbstone wrote:...Stand with a light barbell, 40- 45lbs total on a low bench, say 1 foot high. Almost touch the floor(beyond your toes) between lifts right up to the top of your chest,(power clean) 240 times in 6 minutes and you're an Olympic standard endurance athlete.

Been there, done that, except that instead of a 40-45lbs barbell I used a beer.
wise to do so, lifting the barbell in the bar isn't a smart thing to do.