Men can "rock" skirts too!

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Men can "rock" skirts too!

Post by SkirtsDad »

Feeling freedom wrote:
This is the challenge, we need the everyday consumer to be purchasing on a regular basis to increase what we see on the street. We the few know what we would like to see and notice that the trend is moving that way but how does it turn from the few to the many and not take 2-3 generations as history show?
I think that unless you can market it to the young then it will never happen. Sad to say, but us older people flaunting a skirt probably does not do anything to help that. In your youth did you want to wear the same clothes as your parents? Although some icons of the pop and sports world have appeared in sarongs, skirts and the like, unless they are seen to embrace it consistently then I cannot see how they are going to set a trend.

Another factor is choice. I rarely even see people wearing the clothing that is in the shops or online. As I've mentioned before, I do not think that mass clothing trends really happen any more. There is probably too much choice for most people and clothing is, on the whole, much cheaper than it used to be. My parents had a two door wardrobe between them and everything went in that. Before I really started collecting skirts I had a five door wardrobe to myself.
Feeling freedom
Distinguished Member

Post by Feeling freedom »

The good thing about the youth is they are not influenced as much when it comes to old school thinking and are much more open to gender fluidity. Most likely why men's skirts is increasing in popularity. When it comes to affordability the product must still be produced in numbers to bring costs down. Such as 1,000 stores carry 3 styles of men's skirts with 2 of 10 sizes. That is only 60 skirts on the shelf for each store but that totals 60,000 skirts to be produced. Now we are talking production numbers. 60 skirts per individual small store at a wholesale price is a minimal investment and a drop in the bucket for large chain stores. Retailers will only buy if they see it is a growing trend not a fad though and they need to see longevity to forecast a strong ROI.

Like electronics what is in today is out in 6 months so what is the next line to replace what has been sold? As mentioned, a business plan would need to be produced and they always have a 5 year plan. It is a huge mountain to climb but so was Everest and now thousands climb it every year. There is a lot of work that would need to be done in order to see men's skirts mainstream and challenging to get entrepreneurs to invest time and money due to high risk.

In the business world our saying is "if you fail to plan you plan to fail!"
Personal style is important to me. Even when my outfits may contain skirts, tights and great ankle or riding length boots! I enjoy fashion and am excited to get in on the conversations with the like minded!
tesjolts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by tesjolts »

Both looks are great and very casual!!. The denim skirt front pockets seem to be rather small. Not like in male pants or shorts.

If you have to carry wallet, cellphone, keys and other stuff you end up needing a bag or purse in order to help carry all that stuff!!

Tes
Feeling freedom
Distinguished Member

Hey Tes, thanks for the compliment, much appreciated! The pockets are larger, it just looks like they are small because how I posed. I travel light so when I go out I take only what I need. I don't like the look of bulking things in my pockets so I tend to only take the ID and payment cards I need without the wallet and same with only carrying the keys that I need. The cell phone I slip into the back pocket.
Personal style is important to me. Even when my outfits may contain skirts, tights and great ankle or riding length boots! I enjoy fashion and am excited to get in on the conversations with the like minded!
Feeling freedom
Distinguished Member

Today's outfit. We have been having amazing spring weather, up to 18 degrees here. Only 13 today but beautiful sunshine! Very comfortable for a walk in this. Best denims skirt so far! Has stretch to it and fits great! Made by Jag Jeans. Boots are Ecco. There is no belt loops on the skirt though and I need to get another one I can wear a belt with. My old one in the other pics is gone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dick Ackerman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dick Ackerman »

Looks really good.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

FF, You will be pleased to learn that at Forum Sartorial Police H.Q. it has been decided that the black boots go better with blue denim. Just thought I'd let you know :idea:

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
tesjolts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by tesjolts »

FF another awesome look !! Coordinating what to wear with the skirt can be very challenging, not like wearing pants or shorts. Your styles will help a lot of us here.

Cheers

Tes
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Feeling freedom wrote:Today's outfit. We have been having amazing spring weather, up to 18 degrees here. Only 13 today but beautiful sunshine! Very comfortable for a walk in this. Best denims skirt so far! Has stretch to it and fits great! Made by Jag Jeans. Boots are Ecco. There is no belt loops on the skirt though and I need to get another one I can wear a belt with. My old one in the other pics is gone.
Great look, and don't swear the belt (or lack thereof). If you're not going to tuck in your top, a belt only makes it look lumpy.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Very good outfit, F-freedom.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Feeling freedom
Distinguished Member

Thanks gents, much appreciated.

Caultron wrote:Great look, and don't swear the belt (or lack thereof). If you're not going to tuck in your top, a belt only makes it look lumpy.
Sorry I was not clear. I need one with belt loops for when I want to wear a t-shirt or collard shirt and need to tuck in.

This a thin sweater and I do not tuck it in. This skirt is stretchy and does not need a belt, it hugs the body great. By far the best fitting skirt I have had.
Feeling freedom
Distinguished Member

Might go to Whistler for a day outing and it is still cool in the mountains. Last days of wearing winter cloths.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Outfit looks good . again it looks natural
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Feeling freedom wrote:Might go to Whistler for a day outing and it is still cool in the mountains. Last days of wearing winter cloths.
Another victory!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Feeling freedom
Distinguished Member

Gotta love the days when working from home! Hoodies go great with denim for a casual look.