R.i.P. Prof Stephen Hawking

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

R.i.P. Prof Stephen Hawking

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

crfriend
Master Barista

Re: R.i.P. Prof Stephen Hawking

Post by crfriend »

Drat. It's good that humanity had him for as long as it did.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Feeling freedom
Distinguished Member

Post by Feeling freedom »

A truly remarkable man! May he rest in peace. I will mark the day by watching the movie "The Theory of Everything" again.
Personal style is important to me. Even when my outfits may contain skirts, tights and great ankle or riding length boots! I enjoy fashion and am excited to get in on the conversations with the like minded!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The world is poorer for his passing even though he lived a good 50 years longer than he was given at the time of his diagnosis. It seems trite to say that in the scheme of things his contribution to astrophysics has advanced our understanding in ways that were certainly unforeseen. It will be interesting to follow his research area to see where else it will go in the future. For an academic he was interesting and his well-developed sense of humour was renowned. Maybe now he will soon know what the theory of everything is. We do have to give him time to settle into his new mode of existence, whatever it is. Whilst we may agree or disagree on what there is after this life I do believe that there IS an afterlife and maybe those there communicate in ways that we just don't understand and at times when it is needed. So RIP SH and at least you are now free of the physical that limited your movement but gave you the space to use your intellect in ways that wouldn't have been possible while physically able.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Yes- RIP Stephen Hawking. I always found his tv programs very interesting.

In the entertainment world, |I have just heard that Jim Bowen has passed on. He presented Bullseye on tv.

Sinned- I am not into religion at all, but slightly wondering about afterlife or premonitions. How does one explain travelling through a town, thinking that I have been here before, yet knowing that you have NEVER been anywhere near that particular town before ?
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Gregg, there are lots of things that can't be explained. One of our sons died aged 28 10 years ago yet we know that he sometimes still visits us. There is nothing physical like a drop in temperature or anything like that. But there is a change in the atmosphere and MOH and I both sense it at the same time and the impression we get is of our son. It's not that it happens when we are ultra-sensitive or have been thinking of him or on a particular anniversary. There appears to be no pattern to his visits but we just know that he is there. Also events happen that we know that there has been some sort of intervention as if he is now our guardian angel looking after us and what happens or the message that comes through is just what we needed in a time of difficulty. I know that these things can be explained away as just the normal laws of chance, serendipity or synchronicity or some such but it's just that we know in our heart of hearts that he is involved and is in some senses and some times still around. Many may just dismiss this but sorry, you'll not convince us otherwise.

I heard about Jim Bowen as well. Ken Dodd also died the other day. Great stand-up comedian and entertainer. Anybody that can stand on stage for several hours with non-stop clean gags, songs, sketches has to be admired. His shows were renowned for going on after midnight and ( apocryphal ) that the theatre staff turned out light to get him off-stage. One of jokes to his audience was "What do you call someone here who has booked a taxi for midnight?" "An optimist." He also said at one time that he was thinking of going into politics to become Chancellor of the Exchequer so that he could get his money back.[0] I saw one of his shows here in York and my sides ached and ached with laughing. All the good ones are now passing away and the world is a sadder place.

[0] He was convicted of tax evasion many years ago.
[1] I was looking at a site listing some of his jokes and this one sent me into hysterics. "The man who invented cats' eyes got the idea when he saw the eyes of a cat in his headlights. If the cat had been going the other way, he would have invented the pencil sharpener." :lol:
[2] One relevant to us. “Men’s legs have a terribly lonely life – standing in the dark in your trousers all day.”
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Sinned, he was acquitted. He got the jury on his side by cracking jokes in the witness box. (Should probably have been charged with contempt of court for it, but that didn't happen.) That's probably how he got off with it, he admitted taking suitcases of money on planes to Jersey but said he didn't realise he was doing anything wrong. I doubt many people would have been believed.

The Inland Revenue were distinctly unhappy. All the preventative effect of jailing Lester Pigott, undone.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I hate to hear this news of Stephen Hawking, but I have to say, he lived longer than I thought he would have. In fact 76 is a pretty good age. It's actually right at the average life expectancy for men. And considering the guy went through two divorces, not to mention his health issues... that's pretty damned impressive!

But oh to have his understanding of physics and the universe.... I am quite envious.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:But oh to have his understanding of physics and the universe.... I am quite envious.
Hawking was said to have had a remarkable way of seeing through the noise and occasional BS of physics and get right into the core of things. This is the ultimate measure of genius. Most get bogged down in all the ancillary bits and never glimpse the core of it. I suppose it's part of the human condition. A mind like Hawking's only comes along every several hundred years. On the radio this afternoon it was noted that he was born on the 300th anniversary of Galileo's death and died on Einstein's birthday -- a nice coincidence.

Roam well in the cosmos, Steven. Roam proudly.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Indeed. He was just a few months older than myself and having an interest in science and astronomy I marveled at him at all levels. His ability to cope with his increasing infirmity was itself an inspiration to disabled people worldwide, quite apart from his outstanding scientific achievements.

I do believe he has at last been freed from the prison of his body and is at peace.

Dennis, I read your moving post with rapt attention and your description of sensing the presence of your departed son parallels several similar experiences told me by friends who have lost siblings or close family.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bikerkilt »

My youngest son and ex wife past away in November 1994 I fill that one or both of the are around with thing that happen around me. Something rolls of the table and when I go to retrieve it I find that there is some their to pick up also, this has happen to me many time. RIP in piece Stephen Hawking
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

This may come as a surprise to you all, but I generally don't believe in "ghost", spirits or what have you. I do believe in a soul of sorts but when it leaves the body (the body dies) I can't for the life of me imagine why it would want to hang around and haunt a house or pesture the mortals when they (the spirits) have the whole universe as their backyard! :mrgreen:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

SS, I heard that he was acquitted too but he always seemed to give the impression that he wasn't.

I do believe most firmly in spirits [0] and have had personal experiences of them, some of them having physical manifestations. There was a house that we lived in for about 10 years that I was never comfortable in and nearly always felt very strongly that there was someone around even though there was no-one there. I could never have gone anywhere in the dark in that house whereas in our present abode I feel nothing hostile at all and have no fear of moving around the house in the dark.

[0] I don't call them ghosts, never have. I believe that the body comprises of two parts - the physical and the spirit.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

When I was 12 we moved into a house that had been a doctors house and office. He was convicted of 8 counts of murder. They dug up the basement and found 4 bodies there. The others were found in the back garden. We would often hear sounds of someone going up the basement stairs and out through the kitchen. but simply put it off to an old house. Then the neighbor across the street said she saw lights in the house going on and off at night when we were asleep. But it wasn't until we got a dog that it became clear to us that something was making the noise on the stairs as the dog would suddenly start to growl and the hair on the back of his neck would stand up. He would race to the basement stairs and growl at the door, then one night he attacked something and suddenly gave a terrified yelp and dove under the couch. After that he would never come into the house again. We moved out and the next people who moved in did not stay a whole year before they moved out.
So do I believe in ghosts and spirits, you bet I do!!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
PatJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by PatJ »

Thanks for that message, I plan to reread it again after I get my razor and shaving cream so I can get those pesky short hairs off the back of my neck after they stand up from reading your story.