To all who shall see these presents, GREETINGS!

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
KSKilted

To all who shall see these presents, GREETINGS!

Post by KSKilted »

And for those that don't, hey to you, too.

I've been a kilt wearer for just over a year now, though from time to time over the last few years, I've been known to wear a skirt around the house. The wife gave a couple of pretty distinct eye rolls shortly after I got the kilt, and one or two after I started wearing it, but has since accepted it. Wearing of a skirt, however, I think she would, without question, find it unacceptable, so I keep that to myself, just around the house, as living in one of the most conservative states in the country, and a small town, I believe would not only draw some undesirable negative attention, but quickly get back to the wife.

As for being kilted publicly, I've had nothing but positive interactions, from both male and female, without the sometimes unsavory comments or actions of those that think something different is something to be feared, or shamed, or mocked.

Ennyhoo, I hope that as time progresses, I can become a good and productive member of the community.

Cheers, and talk to you all soon.
Uncle Al

Re: To all who shall see these presents, GREETINGS!

Post by Uncle Al »

:welcome:
We have a widely varied group here so you'll find many
interesting areas for discussion. Read some and join in
on the conversations :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yes, welcome to the site. There are many of us whose spouses disapprove but that doesn't stop us - just makes us pick our moments. Join in and where are you from? We have members from all over the globe so it is truly an international community. We jest about the Atlantic River or pond and are generally good natured and resolve our conflicts as amicably as we can even if we figuratively shake hands as agree to disagree.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

Welcome aboard Kilted! My wife got me my first kilt for Christmas, I absolutely love that thing!
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Welcome to the café . My son bought me my first kilt for my birthday . He said he got it for me to wear to a Mets Baseball game .Which I did
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

KSKilted wrote:... I've been known to wear a skirt around the house. The wife gave a couple of pretty distinct eye rolls shortly after I got the kilt, and one or two after I started wearing it, but has since accepted it. Wearing of a skirt, however, I think she would, without question, find it unacceptable, so I keep that to myself, just around the house, as living in one of the most conservative states in the country, and a small town, I believe would not only draw some undesirable negative attention, but quickly get back to the wife...
First, welcome to the board. It sounds like you're off to a great start.

As to your wife, my totally uninformed advice is to (1) not just assume she'd oppose something without even asking, (2) ask carefully, so as not to incite a fixed position, (3) keep up a gentle pressure. Nothing's permanent if you give it enough time.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

KSKilted wrote:And for those that don't, hey to you, too.

I've been a kilt wearer for just over a year now, though from time to time over the last few years, I've been known to wear a skirt around the house. The wife gave a couple of pretty distinct eye rolls shortly after I got the kilt, and one or two after I started wearing it, but has since accepted it. Wearing of a skirt, however, I think she would, without question, find it unacceptable, so I keep that to myself, just around the house, as living in one of the most conservative states in the country, and a small town, I believe would not only draw some undesirable negative attention, but quickly get back to the wife.

As for being kilted publicly, I've had nothing but positive interactions, from both male and female, without the sometimes unsavory comments or actions of those that think something different is something to be feared, or shamed, or mocked.

Ennyhoo, I hope that as time progresses, I can become a good and productive member of the community.

Cheers, and talk to you all soon.
Welcome, and I hope you'll add your location to your profile so we can see which "conservative state" that is! I personally love being able to see where people are.
Daryl...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Welcome to the fold!
KSKilted wrote: as living in one of the most conservative states in the country, and a small town, I believe would not only draw some undesirable negative attention,
Not as much negative attention as you might think. A little? Yes. But not enough to ruin the day. And I should know, it just doesn't get any more "red" than where I trek in my skirts. The Appalachian coal fields of Virginia, eastern Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, Georgia and even went down into Alabama once.... no major issues.

Never tried Louisiana, Oklahoma, or Florida. We have a lot who live in Texas and they report no major issues. I've heard of a few in Ohio, we have an active member or two in Pennsylvania, (though I really don't know how "conservative" PA is) On other social media I've spoken to gender benders from as far out as Colorado. Haven't heard too much from the mid-west through the plains though. But really... it can't be any worse than here where I'm located.

But you may be correct about this:
...but quickly get back to the wife.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Hello and :welcome: KSKilted!

It seems like you are progressing nicely with the kilt. Your wife and your fellow townspeople are OK with it. That's great! For a next step, I'd suggest waiting for a hot day and observing to the Mrs that it's a bit too hot for the kilt and wondering aloud what would be cooler. See if you can get some idea of what she might put up with. Or just buy a denim skirt and go for it!

Warning: this advice may not be worth any more than you have paid for it!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair