unisex clothing.

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: unisex clothing.

Post by Sinned »

Anthony, I have tried showing her pictures of men in skirts and there is a distinct lack of interest in looking. If she showed any interest I would compile a compendium of the best looks from this site and others. She isn't interested in the arguments for male skirts either and berates me for always going on about the subject. I've given up on that tack. Perhaps she knows that the pictures are of men in skirts but just says women as her take is that when I wear a skirt she sees me as a woman.

MOH is a collector also of many things - sugar crushers, china, decorative and themed plates, porcelain figures. Oh you name it and we probably have it. We can be watching Antiques Roadshow and some article will be displayed and MOH will say, "We've got one of those." We have a lot of antiques as well inherited from her parents. Our house is full of beautiful things, MOH being one of them.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Sinned wrote: Our house is full of beautiful things, MOH being one of them.
Dennis, that is a lovely thing to say. If you OH heard that, I would expect her to be happy with you wearing whatever you liked.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Thank you Anthony. As much as she is a PITA she is the most precious thing in our house and I would, and do, anything to keep her.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
jmiller842
Distinguished Member

Post by jmiller842 »

OS, going back to your original question and your photo, I really like the style. It's very similar to what I like to wear, business casual. You asked whether or not you would be at a disadvantage wearing a skirt suit to a meeting. In my opinion, that little bit of trepidation can easily be overcome with courage and confidence. It's all about how you carry and present yourself. By projecting confidence and calmness, after the meeting they may not even remember what you were wearing.

Jeff
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

SkirtsDad wrote: The reality is that change comes not from people like us, but from the emerging generation.

As far as I can see, the best thing that the members here can be, is a beacon to encourage others.
I think that large scale change comes from re-norming. Which will likely come from a younger generation, probably because they aren't quite so set in their ways compared to older people.
Last edited by Grok on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:I think that large scale change tends to come from re-norming. Which will likely come from a younger generation, probably because they aren't quite so set in their ways compared to older people.
In other words, then, should the older guys just give up, put their pants back on, and go home?

I think not. The kiddies aren't going to do it. Their own bullies will get in the way.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

To elaborate, large scale change may be driven by not-quite-so-young adults (who are gaining influence over society), who witnessed a vanguard of change in their earlier years.

I believe that bloomers are an example. In the mid 19th century there was a vanguard who wore the first bloomer outfits. Eventually this phase of experimentation faded away. But near the end of the century it became socially acceptable for women to wear bloomers for certain athletic activities, such as riding the new fangled bicycles.

(One has to wonder how much of the change was also due to old dinosaurs-with outdated ideas-dying off).
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

SkirtsDad wrote: Virtually no teenager or young adult that I come across gives a sh*t what I'm wearing. They don't even bat an eyelid in the street, but even more, a young female university student took the time to say hello in the street and to say how refreshing it was to see someone dressed so differently. As far as I can see, the best thing that the members here can be, is a beacon to encourage others.
Yes, younger adults may not be completely set in their ways. And meeting an older maverick may give them the idea that it is okay for a man to wear one pipe.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Sinned wrote:
Incidentally, and it has probably been said before on this site, the reason getting men into skirts is so similar to pushing a boulder uphill is that possibly men just don't care about fashion. They want clothes that have utility, cover what's needed to keep them at a comfortable temperature and they just don't have to think about what to put on - it's predetermined. Jeans, T-shirt, jumper check.
Actually, utility type kilts have some of these advantages. Which may at least partly explain why they have enjoyed some success, rather than go out of business. A few other designs, such as the Macabis, also offer utility.