Common Terminology

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Uncle Al

Common Terminology

Post by Uncle Al »

After reading several "Opinions" about skirt length,
I've found the following pictorials describing skirt length
common to the fashion industry.

Hem Lengths 2017-11-11.jpg
Hem Lengths V2 2017-11-11.jpg
Hem Lengths V3 2017-11-11.jpg
Hem Lengths V4 2017-11-11.jpg
As you can see, most all agree with what length requires what name.
Another one I found called the next to the shortest name "Slut".

Hem Lengths V5 2017-11-11.jpg
I would not necessarily use the last pic's definitions in mixed company,
or around children.

So, can we PLEASE use COMMON terminology when describing
the length of a skirt :?:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Common Terminology

Post by crfriend »

Uncle Al wrote:After reading several "Opinions" about skirt length, I've found the following pictorials describing skirt length common to the fashion industry.
I note that they've dumbed down the original notion of the "mini" where fingers below relaxed arms can touch the skin of the legs and have, instead, re-branded that as "micro". Does no-one here remember the 1960s?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I remember (and enjoyed) the 60s very well. But if I then had tried to touch the skin below the hem with a relaxed arm, I would have been in the same position as the Hollywood abusers of this day. :oops: :wink:
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Uncle Al wrote:As you can see, most all agree with what length requires what name.
Another one I found called the next to the shortest name "Slut".
I think back in the day that length was called "Hello Officer" 8)
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
jv88101

Post by jv88101 »

Thanks for sharing and posting this, very insightful.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

crfriend wrote:
Uncle Al wrote:After reading several "Opinions" about skirt length, I've found the following pictorials describing skirt length common to the fashion industry.
I note that they've dumbed down the original notion of the "mini" where fingers below relaxed arms can touch the skin of the legs and have, instead, re-branded that as "micro". Does no-one here remember the 1960s?
The micros really came in during the late 60's

I went into the service in Feb of 66 out Dec 68. during that time I was not really aware what was going on in fashions.

I remember driving around town a few days after I got home . I happened to pass the senior high school and was amazed at what amounted to extra large belts that the girls were wearing as skirts.

I just got the CD's for the original Laugh in show Its amazing what they were wearing.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Interesting illustrations.
The term "short skirt" I assume is beween a mini and above knee. I also thought that a ballerina length was shorter than a micro - more like a tutu (perhaps a nano?).
Other than that it all makes sense.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

In ballet there are a couple different skirts-the "ballerina" skirt, which is quite long, and the tutu.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

oldsalt1 wrote:I just got the CD's for the original Laugh in show Its amazing what they were wearing.
I have that set and I was amazed at what we wore then. Laugh-In was one of my favorite shows then. "Here comes the judge." :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
oldsalt1 wrote:I just got the CD's for the original Laugh in show Its amazing what they were wearing.
I have that set and I was amazed at what we wore then. Laugh-In was one of my favorite shows then. "Here comes the judge." :lol:

its "sock it to me time"
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Yea the skirts of Judy Carne
The innocent looks of Goldie Hawn
The prim and proper Lily Tomlin

And yet it was on in early prime time with not much left to the imagination for language
or reading between the lines.

It was just like it was yesterday !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

drawings are nice photos are better :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: sorry fellows nothing lomger
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

The late 1960s through the 1970s were, I think, the last gasp of creative times when it came to clothing. That was effectively stamped out in the oh-so-corporate 1980s and was entirely dead in the yuppie-driven 90s.

I follow a few other fora, mostly to do with railway photography, and I'm always pleased to see shots from the '60s and '70s just to see the vast variety of styles that everyday people wore out and about in public. It's a lost era and a lost ethos sadly.

To be sure, that era laid more than its share of eggs fashion-wise, but that is an inevitable consequence of experimentation and pushing boundaries. In today's neo-con environment risk is to be shunned at all costs and absolute conformity is the result. We don't risk a botched experiment because experimentation is now entirely frowned upon. I view this as tragic.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:The late 1960s through the 1970s were, I think, the last gasp of creative times when it came to clothing...To be sure, that era laid more than its share of eggs fashion-wise, but that is an inevitable consequence of experimentation and pushing boundaries. In today's neo-con environment risk is to be shunned at all costs and absolute conformity is the result. We don't risk a botched experiment because experimentation is now entirely frowned upon. I view this as tragic.
And yet here we are, with I dare say more media coverage for men in skirts than then.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:And yet here we are, with I dare say more media coverage for men in skirts than then.
Indeed, but what is the purpose of the "coverage". Is it to educate and encourage, or is it a veiled attempt at public shaming? Which would sell more advertising copy?