And this is what is happening in my town

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

And this is what is happening in my town

Post by Freedomforall »

My wife and I just got home from seeing a comedian in a nearby town. I attended the event skirted in case you are wondering. I found this on Facebook. We didn't even know they were having drag shows in town. Apparently they have a new bar in town that has been holding drag shows and there are many narrow minded people in this town trying to stop it. Check out thei post from Facebook. It even made the national news!

On Monday Sept 18 the City of Portland will vote on whether a drag show is in the same realm as a strip show (Director of Development Services Andrew Pieri said it puts drag shows in the same category as strip shows). So if this ordinance passes then that means any plays put on by a theater group or school can NOT have one gender dressing as another gender.
A drag show is not an adult industry show. A drag show is males and females dressed as the opposite gender lip syncing to songs and dancing. Drag entertainers do not remove any clothing and do not show any part of their anatomy. It is entertainment no different than a play, musical or concert.
If you do not like this type of entertainment then do not attend this type of entertainment. Why do people have to be offended by things that do not affect how they go about their day?
DISCLAIMER: Having a civilized discussion is encouraged but I will turn off commenting or remove this post if any cussing or hate-filled rhetoric is posted.
http://www.wsmv.com/clip/13713110/drag- ... ortland-tn
Last edited by Uncle Al on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected Link
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: And this is what is happening in my town

Post by renesm1 »

They'd better not come to the UK after Christmas then, we have shows where men dress as women and women dress as men. We even take our children to these events..... :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantomime
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Tennessee? Enough said. It's still sad, though, if somewhat expected.

I'm not sure where they get the linkage between "drag" and "stripping", however. That seems a bit forced.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Question for Mr perie If a man putting on any type of skirt or dress is considered drag than that would mean that a woman putting on any type of slacks or pants must also be considered drag. So that means that this ruling would in fact close down any show or play etc in which a woman appears in slacks.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

oldsalt1 wrote: So that means that this ruling would in fact close down any show or play etc in which a woman appears in slacks.
.... and in public?
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

My nearest major business centre (200 kms distant) has just held it's annual drag show event. It was where the film "Priscilla, Queen of the desert" was made and now the tourist industry is cashing in on it, certainly not in danger of being banned here.
https://www.bhfestival.com/
I didn't go because I think the whole notion of drag is rather quaint and outdated.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Very true crfriend! I'd really like to live elsewhere.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

York has two theatres and both of them feature pantomimes over the Christmas/New Year period. The one at the Theatre Royal is written, produced and Dame is a Geordie called Berwick Kayler. He must have been doing it now, with the same sidekicks, for well over 30 years and is much loved by the populace. As he is now getting on a bit he must be due to retire sometime soon and he will leave a big hole. Trying to find a replacement will be difficult. Yes, in pantomimes the Dame is the leading lady, usually dressed in very colourful, flamboyant and quite ridiculous dresses, very OTT, and is played by a man. The boy is played by a woman. Very traditional and enormous, harmless fun. If you don't have pantomimes over the other side of the pond then you are missing out on a lot of very corny fun. Our family have been going since my daughter was about 2 years old and she's now 35. We are in the process of booking our seats for sometime in January 2018. It would be unthinkable for our local government to even think of banning such an art form. There would be riots in the streets. Probably the only instance where lynching of councillors would be considered legal. :lol:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

I think the thing that concerns me about this is reading the post of hate from people who live here. I wonder what will cross their mind when they see me. I don't care what they think, it is more of what actions might me taken. Never the less, it will not affect me and I will continue dressing the way I please! Sinned I would love to visit with you over there! My wife and I are looking to one day move and this has certainly made us think harder about moving.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Freedomforall wrote:I think the thing that concerns me about this is reading the post of hate from people who live here. I wonder what will cross their mind when they see me.
Yes Freedomforall, you and I do live in very bigoted, ultra-traditional-puritan areas, but fear not- everyone's an ass on the internet. Chances are you've already crossed paths with quite a few people that have spent many-a-hour ranting and condemning anyone with a hint of unusual or eccentric behavior. They won't bother you in "meat space", but it seems like online everyone's got something to say... it's easy after all, behind the safety of a monitor and keyboard.

Portland TN will pass their ordinance, it is Tennessee after all, the state that came mighty close to declaring the bible as the official state book, the state that came mighty close to enacting law that would have only permitted divorce for biblical reasons....

But one thing I'd like to point out, I can't imagine this thing effecting us very much. I can say from experience in my ultra-trad region that though I am hated, most everyone keeps their space and reserves their insults from a safe distance across a parking lot, building, etc... There is a big difference between a drag Queen and a man who is simply wearing a skirt or dress.

If I were cited in any town in the U.S. for wearing a skirt under some old "crossdressing" law, I'd just go to court with my Declaration of Religious Freedom, as well as my interpretation of the 14th amendment... you know what, the page I linked to pretty much says it all...

And as others have pointed out, unless they want to prohibit women from wearing trousers, I don't see where they could constitutionally ban men from wearing skirts...

I don't even want to read the comments, it's sure to be the usual self righteous garbage that floods every internet site with a comment box.

*sighs*... much I want to say, but I'd just be pissing in the wind.... here I'm preaching to the choir, and out yonder... well nobody's listening anyway.... :|

Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
Matthew 5:11
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Always good to hear from you Moon. We have a friend whose house has actually been shot at and vandalized due to his religious beliefs and dressing habits. He is a Druid and very gender fluid. Anyway, I like your last verse quote and very much value your thoughts!!

DJ
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I don't imagine people will shoot at my house... too many kids around (this is a family type of neighborhood) though as ultra redneck as it can get it wouldn't surprise me if I came home one day and saw something ugly spray painted on the siding.

I'm already noticing an increase in litter in my yard... (interestingly only my yard....) hmmmmm.... :|

Sad part is, I doubt anyone around here would even care. I'd probably just get bashed in the social internet comment boxes.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
skirted

Post by skirted »

moonshadow wrote:I don't imagine people will shoot at my house... too many kids around (this is a family type of neighborhood) though as ultra redneck as it can get it wouldn't surprise me if I came home one day and saw something ugly spray painted on the siding.

I'm already noticing an increase in litter in my yard... (interestingly only my yard....) hmmmmm.... :|

Sad part is, I doubt anyone around here would even care. I'd probably just get bashed in the social internet comment boxes.

I have a 1.5in bore cannon, a 1.25 in bore cannon and a 5.8 in bore bronze mortar, could shoot back :?:
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I have a 1.5in bore cannon, a 1.25 in bore cannon and a 5.8 in bore bronze mortar, could shoot back :?:
Difference in terminology what are these
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

oldsalt1 wrote:
skirted wrote:I have a 1.5in bore cannon, a 1.25 in bore cannon and a 5.8 in bore bronze mortar, could shoot back :?:
Difference in terminology what are these
They are weapons of war! They are cannons that have a hole big enough to shoot projectiles that are 1.5 inches and 1.25 inches in diameter. The other is what is called a mortar which lobs a large projectile a long way in a very long arch. In this case a projectile that is 5.8 inches in diameter. All three will do a lot of damage to their targets. :sorry: :tmi:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.