International Men's Day

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Re: International Men's Day

Post by beachlion »

In my opinion there is a difference between the celebration of an event (a birthday in this case) or to pay extra attentiom to a person, group of persons or an institution for the sole fact that they exsist. Take Secretary Day as an example. If she does an excellent job, just say so and show your gratitude when she fishes something extraordinary. There is no rule or law that tells you to wait untill Secretary Day.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:What about birthdays, then?
Cherish your friends and family always. Life is short and subject to surprises.

All "birthdays" do is point up that the end-game is getting closer and closer. Personally, I don't really like being reminded of the fact as I feel it happening on a millisecond basis with every heartbeat and every breath. But, my presence is enjoyed by my friends and I'm thankful for that. I don't need a yearly reminder.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

So, some annual observances are OK. So it comes down to a matter of which and which not. And that evaluation is going to vary by person.

Like, I'm really not into National Slide Trombind day (assuming there is one) but if that toots someone's horn (sorry) why not let them have their fun?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

To each his or her own!
Me I like National Model Railroad week. I also like to celebrate National Nude Sun Bathing Day. Where one can go swimming and laying out on the beach nude and not worry about being cuffed by the cops. We each have things we would like to celebrate and having days to do this is fun. Many people celebrate Columbus day I do not. I do celebrate George Washington's birthday as it is also my birthday.
Celebrating any day for any reason, why not???
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Fred in Skirts wrote: I also like to celebrate National Nude Sun Bathing Day.
I reckon I'd need the Factor 100 for that, but apart from that it seems like a good idea. Unless the nation in question is Scotland.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Hmmm... National Nude Sunbathing Day. Somehow I suspect that'd get confused with either National Midge Protection Day or National Hypothermia Day in Scotland.

'Round here we have Puritans and "skeeters", and I'm not sure which one is worse -- save for the fact that the Puritans still run much of the local government. Showing up starkers in public here will get you an effective lifetime ban on meaningful employment. In Scotland, it'd probably just get you the chill of your life and laughed at by the constabulary.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

The naked rambler ended up in court. Some of his LEJOG walk must have been in Scotland. The puritans did not all emigrate.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:The puritans did not all emigrate.
I'm sorry for you. Seriously. I'd though that you guys had done a pretty good job of extirpating them. There are some things that just beg to be stamped out.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Fred in Skirts wrote: I also like to celebrate National Nude Sun Bathing Day. Where one can go swimming and laying out on the beach nude and not worry about being cuffed by the cops.
Can you really do that in Aiken County, SC USA?
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Jim wrote:
Fred in Skirts wrote: I also like to celebrate National Nude Sun Bathing Day. Where one can go swimming and laying out on the beach nude and not worry about being cuffed by the cops.
Can you really do that in Aiken County, SC USA?
We do not have a beach. However I have done it down in Savannah Beach Georgia. :D
Bare foot boy with cheeks of tan, you figure out what cheeks. :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

beachlion wrote:A day like Mothers Day or World Animal Day suggests that people are not paying enough attention to those entities on other days.
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. We don't. Which, as noted in my previous reply, is why we don't need equal time with "Men's Day".
Ralph!