Quotes on fashion

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Quotes on fashion

Post by Caultron »

Grok wrote:I figure that if any new design becomes popularized, the product will come from a small outfit, such as Skirtcraft, or Macabi, or kilt vendors. Outfits which try to come up with garments that can be worn in the real world.
Maybe, but small companies tend to have small impacts. But there a plenty of clothiers who design garments for the real world: Levi Strauss, Wrangler, Dockers, Nike, Lee, and so forth. The hard part lies in finding a stimulus to demand, like some skirted underground rock group going ballistic and lots of 30-unders wanting to imitate them.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:I figure that if any new design becomes popularized, the product will come from a small outfit, such as Skirtcraft, or Macabi, or kilt vendors. Outfits which try to come up with garments that can be worn in the real world.
How about just with guys who are frustrated with the paucity of real choice in male-marketed items saying, "Screw this!" and shopping the other side of the aisle? That works, and it doesn't require action of any sort of third-parties like designers, marketers, or pundits. Of course the guys doing so are going to have to be confident and strong in character -- i.e. "men".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I can think :idea: of a few options that seem more promising than what fashion designers put on display:

1. Small outfits coming up with new designs that can be worn in the real world.

2. Borrowing traditional mens wear from non-Western societies.

3. Learning sewing skills.

4. Borrowing from the other side of the aisle.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

looking at some of the designs on Pinterest, first link by Caultron, some are wearable other as indicated by other cafe regulars also, are not grand. Next to the acceptability of the design, the price may be of influence also. Some of these outfits are sold at Selfridges or louisaviaroma at prices which are no fun. Still they are gone/sold quickly enough. Where have they gone and why aren't they visible in plain sight?

The acceptance of earrings also depends on the country and what is common. On the continent earrings are accepted in groups which are social less off and in the gay scene. Also age might be a factor. I have met men who wore earrings during their youth but when attained a nice position gone they were.