Dresses

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: tunics

Post by oldsalt1 »

crfriend wrote:
Grok wrote:I
; a proper dress -- or even a shirt-dress -- has definition to it. A muumuu is something one would wear to the beach; a shirt-dress can be worn to work, and a true dress to a classical concert.
I wore this for work at my office . Is it dressy enough for a concert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Dresses

Post by Sinned »

Oldsalt, it's possible. It would depend upon the accessories. With the scarf you are wearing - no. With a nice belt, necklace and other dressy accessories then possibly. Concert dresses don't have to be fancy and frilly. Good look.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

oldsalt1 wrote:I wore this for work at my office . Is it dressy enough for a concert
It certainly is vivid.

The shoes and the dress struck me as not matching, at least in the picture. I think they'd look better if they were either more alike or more different.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:The shoes and the dress struck me as not matching, at least in the picture. I think they'd look better if they were either more alike or more different.
I'll go with Caultron's assessment here. I think swapping the red shoes for black would work better, and adding a black belt would also likely help somewhat. Also, a necklace or simple chain instead of the scarf -- or, if a scarf is required, perhaps wearing it like a shawl.

Hot pink... Definitely daring!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I see what you mean with the shoes , They are a little closer than they appear in the photo . But maybe they are just close enough to clash. Since I only have a black bag I am going to re shoot with your suggestions
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Oldsalts outfit

Post by Grok »

What I like best is the bright color! :D So different from the drab clothes that we are expected to wear.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I kept it simple what do you think. I never thought that I would be wearing my mothers jewelry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

The black shoes, I think, are an improvement; they add contrast to the look. I still think a belt would add something, but may be wrong on that count. That's one heck of a lot of pink, though.

On the question of your mother's jewellery, I suppose the operative question might be, "What would Mom think of this?" Of course, I have no way of answering that hypothetical poser.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

crfriend wrote:
On the question of your mother's jewellery, I suppose the operative question might be, "What would Mom think of this?"
I went to the cemetery once skirted actually twice. On my first trip I had a talk with her. The ground didn't shake and the sky didn't fall so I would guess she is ok with it. When she passed we split up her jewellery

I don't remember ever seeing my sisters wearing it. Maybe she is happy that it is getting used
Last edited by Uncle Al on Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Corrected BBCode formatting
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

moonshadow wrote: I think all of this comes down to not having to tie the waist so tight to hold the skirt up, as a dress is supported from the shoulders.
A lot of potential here. :idea:
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

More Moons picks... these guys looks great! Looking at them, it becomes clear to me that a man can totally ROCK a dress:

FINALLY! A well dressed guy from the U.S.! (note the electrical outlet) Which is not to say that there aren't guys with style here stateside (as this site will demonstrate), but lets face it guys, those folks on the other side of the pond always seem to lead the way when it comes to stuff like this.

-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Look here. If you can't find anything you like, you're a really tough case.

https://pin.it/jCpdeSf
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

A great Gladiator look :D

This would definitely work in a "Professional Environment"

Some of the 'other looks' really turned me off :!:
Not good and looked like failed attempts at cross-dressing
or trying to pass as a woman :twisted:

P.S. - This looks like one of our members from S. Africa :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Caultron wrote:
oldsalt1 wrote:I wore this for work at my office . Is it dressy enough for a concert
It certainly is vivid.

The shoes and the dress struck me as not matching, at least in the picture. I think they'd look better if they were either more alike or more different.
My thought too. (but I am a big fan of pink)
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

crfriend wrote:The black shoes, I think, are an improvement; they add contrast to the look. I still think a belt would add something...
A black belt or a black clutch maybe, or perhaps a black necklace; something anything to say "these shoes aren't alone".
Daryl...