'Women's' Tights

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: 'Women's' Tights

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Gusto10 wrote:@Moon, you mentioned that at Walmart seemingly men are not expected to wear things down south. Looking from the other side of the Atlantic at the pictures posted at "the people of Walmart" I gather that it's quit common for both men and women, or should I now say in this genderless society humans, to go almost or fully in paradise outfit or birthday costume. Or is it a ever continuing Haloween party?
I think it goes with out saying that the Wal - Martians are a bit of off the ole' rocker.
Many do not have a clue as to how they are dressed and I believe need a mental health worker to help them. Some are alcoholics or druggies and are so far gone they can't be helped. I actually feel sorry for a lot of them.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Hey Fred, careful who you call. :roll: Maybe over there that's the image, and yes I have seen the sites with pictures to prove it. MOH and I were confirmed ASDA shoppers, the equivalent of Walmart over here. But then ASDA has a completely different corporate feel to Walmart and the demographics are different. Then an Aldi opened up just down the road from us so our allegiance has now switched - Aldi is cheaper and the quality is more than acceptable. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Sinned wrote:But then ASDA has a completely different corporate feel to Walmart and the demographics are different. Then an Aldi opened up just down the road from us so our allegiance has now switched - Aldi is cheaper and the quality is more than acceptable. :D
The Aldi in my town is a low budget Grocery store. I think I have shopped there twice since they opened and that's been a few years ago. They do not have much else that food and a few odd kitchen utensils.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

ALDI grocery stores have about a quarter of the footprint of Wal*Mart Target Kroger Safeway and everything is FRESH with a smaller inventory
that is turned frequently. No stale stuff or dated issues with the stock. Smaller stores have a better more controlled inventory than the
giant mecca merchandising mammoths. Only drawback to this is sometimes ALDI maybe out of stock of very popular items. But come back the
next day and voila back in stock and FRESH.
ALDI started out with a CASH concept but now accepts plastic. Eliminating the fees and surcharges of credit cards was a great savings idea but
ALDI had to change its payment methods when business was suffering - Oh you can still pay in cash but plastic just can't be ignored !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Oh and ALDI doesn't sell tights in Aisle 7 if you can find Aisle 7 in the store !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Used to shop at Asda, now Morrisons. Aldi/Lidl are cheaper because they don't hold the variety that Asda/Sainsburys/ Tesco and others do. Aldi Super 6 veg is also a lot smaller, so lb for lb is probably the same.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Fred in Skirts wrote:I think it goes with out saying that the Wal - Martians are a bit of off the ole' rocker. Many do not have a clue as to how they are dressed and I believe need a mental health worker to help them. Some are alcoholics or druggies and are so far gone they can't be helped. I actually feel sorry for a lot of them.
I know this discussion is meant in light fun, but that's a road I had to stop going down when I realized I was doing to others exactly what I wish the rest of the world would stop doing to me -- judging me, my mental health, my values -- based on five seconds of appearance. I particularly abhor the "People of Walmart" collections and I'm just waiting for the day I show up in one of them.

When I see someone at Walmart (or anywhere else) dressed in a way I would consider poor judgement -- ill-fitting, underwear exposed, visibly dirty or stained, color combinations that would make my photographer wife cry out in physical pain, whatever... I just don't know their story. Maybe it's all they have? Maybe they're homeless? Maybe they really do struggle with a mental disability. How is that their fault?

But let's suppose for a moment that we do see people at Walmart who are a lost cause, unaware of their own embarrassing or revolting appearance. We still can't apply such a broad brush to the entire population of "Walmartians": for every one person dressed like a vagrant, there are ten dressed better than I am. Maybe that guy in the suit buying a $150 birthday cake for his 1-year-old who doesn't even know what it's for is looking at my undamaged but faded t-shirt and jeans and sneakers (all from Walmart) and rolling his eyes that I couldn't be bothered to throw out those rags and buy decent clothes, or at least invest in a trip to the barbershop so I don't look like a filthy hippie. And the jokes about fat people at Walmart... most of them could apply to me too.

So... I no longer worry about it and I don't feel the need to look down on them or mock them. Their life, their choices in what is and isn't important enough (or even possible) to spend money on. It's not like it has the slightest effect on my well-being anyhow, right? Under the clothes, we're all the same.

Sorry, I didn't meant to get preachy on you. It just struck a nerve for some reason.
Ralph!
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

Here, here, Ralph, You have said what should have been said a long time ago to all those that mock and judge. When it all comes down to it we will answer for our own actions and not those of others. When you pass judgement on others based on your own standards you are in the end passing judgement on your standards. As Ralph so aptly point out, it is very possible that these folks are simply wearing the best that they have and are doing the best that they can, and even in more than a few cases are simply enjoying a treat that they cannot normally afford. Yes we may pity them but then the question must be asked if any of those that have mocked have held out their own hand and offered any assistance to the one they are mocking.

Then we come here and ask the world not to mock but accept us while we are mocking others. "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.....and all the assembled dropped their stones and departed." We should keep in mind that if you wish to be treated with respect you must also treat others with that same respect that you wish.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

hoborob wrote: As Ralph so aptly point out, it is very possible that these folks are simply wearing the best that they have and are doing the best that they can, and even in more than a few cases are simply enjoying a treat that they cannot normally afford. Yes we may pity them but then the question must be asked if any of those that have mocked have held out their own hand and offered any assistance to the one they are mocking.

Then we come here and ask the world not to mock but accept us while we are mocking others. "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.....and all the assembled dropped their stones and departed." We should keep in mind that if you wish to be treated with respect you must also treat others with that same respect that you wish.
Hoborob, indeed we all should treat the other with respect. Help them if they require such and are willing to accept the hand stretched out.
I do hope, that many not living nor born in the US who might see these pictures of the wallmart fashion, will realise that these are just a few of the many Americans. But still if you look at these pictures when living in a country where the US Army is active, wouldn't you start questioning matters? Having said that, shall we return to the item "Women's Tights'?
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

Agreed Gusto. And I will second your note about the US military bases on foreign soil, there are a lot of the younger military folks that have not learned what it takes to respect the locals so that they can get the respect they work so hard for.

Not as to the real topic of this thread I have noted that many of those that wear 'tights' often complain about the durability of those same 'tights' especially that they tend to tear in the gusset area. I once struggled with that as well and after many observations I noted that the tearing usually occurred when the legs of the 'tights' felt tight around the upper thigh when they were put on. After a while I noted that when this occurred that the fabric near the top appeared to be going around the upper thigh rather than going straight down the leg. On other occasions when the fabric was going straight down the tearing problem was not evident. So I started to actually work the legs of the tights back around so that they were straight on the leg and lo and behold the tearing at the gusset began to go away. I am now of the opinion that if you are experiencing this issue it may very well be that when you are donning the 'tights' what is happening is that a twist is being introduced which is adding addition strain on that seam which leads to the seam tearing apart. Pay attention to how the tights feel as you put them on and if they feel tight around the upper leg you may have a twist in the leg which should be corrected before you continue getting dressed.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

hoborob wrote:[...] I have noted that many of those that wear 'tights' often complain about the durability of those same 'tights' especially that they tend to tear in the gusset area. I once struggled with that as well and after many observations I noted that the tearing usually occurred when the legs of the 'tights' felt tight around the upper thigh when they were put on. After a while I noted that when this occurred that the fabric near the top appeared to be going around the upper thigh rather than going straight down the leg.
Having any sort of twist in the leg area is not only uncomfortable (some notice it more than others) it also puts added stress on the garments. So, paying close attention to the construction of the garments -- in this case specifically the way the toe seams line up with the upper portion -- can yield large benefits in not just longevity but also comfort.

Another thing to not do, and which many men do -- myself included until relatively recently -- is to toss them into the clothes-dryer. Don't do it. Instead, gently shake them out, making sure the waistband is completely unrolled, when they're out of the wash (you do wash them in "lingerie bags" and at a low energy level) so they straighten out (i.e the toe seams line up with the upper portion) properly. Then, gently hang them on plastic hangers (don't use wire; the bend is too narrow), let them air dry, and then fold them up for storage. Nowadays, I routinely get 10+ wearings out of sheers and have some heavy opaques that are years old with lots of mileage on them.

Failure mode for me is either getting clumsy and laddering them or when the inevitable wear and tear of wearing and washing results in the fabric developing pills which are both unsightly and uncomfortable. Failure in the gusset area for me hasn't happened in ages.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

crfriend wrote:
hoborob wrote:[...] I have noted that many of those that wear 'tights' often complain about the durability of those same 'tights' especially that they tend to tear in the gusset area. I once struggled with that as well and after many observations I noted that the tearing usually occurred when the legs of the 'tights' felt tight around the upper thigh when they were put on. After a while I noted that when this occurred that the fabric near the top appeared to be going around the upper thigh rather than going straight down the leg.
Having any sort of twist in the leg area is not only uncomfortable (some notice it more than others) it also puts added stress on the garments. So, paying close attention to the construction of the garments -- in this case specifically the way the toe seams line up with the upper portion -- can yield large benefits in not just longevity but also comfort.

Another thing to not do, and which many men do -- myself included until relatively recently -- is to toss them into the clothes-dryer. Don't do it. Instead, gently shake them out, making sure the waistband is completely unrolled, when they're out of the wash (you do wash them in "lingerie bags" and at a low energy level) so they straighten out (i.e the toe seams line up with the upper portion) properly. Then, gently hang them on plastic hangers (don't use wire; the bend is too narrow), let them air dry, and then fold them up for storage. Nowadays, I routinely get 10+ wearings out of sheers and have some heavy opaques that are years old with lots of mileage on them.

Failure mode for me is either getting clumsy and laddering them or when the inevitable wear and tear of wearing and washing results in the fabric developing pills which are both unsightly and uncomfortable. Failure in the gusset area for me hasn't happened in ages.

Always handwash an rack dry, including those of moh. And yes that does give "more milage".
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

Yes any thing with stretch and/or elastic should never be put in the dryer.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Gordon wrote:Yes any thing with stretch and/or elastic should never be put in the dryer.
Ya ----- can't stand the heat keep it out of the dryer and the hot sun's rays - best to let it dry on its own terms
someplace dark and cool. You weren't planning on wearing THAT right out of the wash were you ?
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?