Dresses

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Dresses

Post by crfriend »

Thanks for that work, Stevie; it's a delightful image.

It looks a bit like Kirbstone in a parallel universe standing next to his bridge.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

And he's wearing actual breeches!

The damned bloody precursor to those tyrannical trousers we loathe so! :!:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Meanwhile, I had an early Sunday morning computer tech call today. Client needed the internet at their rental place repaired. Place was empty, and no one was to be there while I worked on it. Threw a cardigan over a dress and headed out the door. Got everything fixed. If anyone saw me doing the work, they didn't seem to notice.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I've bought close to a dozen dresses over the last couple of months and I'm just dying to wear them on future outings!
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Dresses have their problems too for us men mainly, but not exclusively, confined to the frontal area. Low cut bodice, mesh panels in that area, space for breasts that most of us don't have. That sort of thing. Sleeves that are too tight or too short or frilly. Patterns that we may not wear. Sigh, for every thing I suggest that is wrong with a dress I can see one or mare of you disagreeing with me and producing an example to support your view. I am always looking at dresses now but I see lots that I just couldn't see me wearing. Mind you, a year ago I didn't even consider dresses as men's wear at all. So some progress I suppose but I still probably have a long way to go. MOH certainly has some that I would wear - she just doesn't know it. And I have the photos to prove it.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I am trying to create an improvised shirt-dress. Taking a short sleeved shirt sized for a larger man (which I mention in an earlier post), and sewing a band of cloth to the bottom.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Sinned wrote:Dresses have their problems too for us men mainly, but not exclusively, confined to the frontal area. Low cut bodice, mesh panels in that area, space for breasts that most of us don't have. That sort of thing. Sleeves that are too tight or too short or frilly. Patterns that we may not wear. Sigh, for every thing I suggest that is wrong with a dress I can see one or mare of you disagreeing with me and producing an example to support your view. I am always looking at dresses now but I see lots that I just couldn't see me wearing. Mind you, a year ago I didn't even consider dresses as men's wear at all. So some progress I suppose but I still probably have a long way to go. MOH certainly has some that I would wear - she just doesn't know it. And I have the photos to prove it.
A pretty fair summing I would say. Regarding the low cut bodice, I can instantly think of a couple of ways that I deal with this. The first is to wear a tight fitting t-shirt of crop-top underneath - this can be in a contrasting colour for instance. The second is to use the space as a show-case and to accesorize heavily. I often wear three necklaces of differing lengths, one of which will usually be either chunky or broad like an egyptian styled collar: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0c/b8/50 ... d8b995.jpg

One of the easiest dresses to pull off in the winter must be the jumper dress. Providing it is a loose or chunky knit it should be stretchy and therefore sleeves tightness is less likely to be an issue. Here's my latest jumper dress:
P1120765sc.jpg
Yes, some are much longer ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

SkirtsDad wrote:The first is to wear a tight fitting t-shirt of crop-top underneath
I believe that's why I tend to favor jumper dresses. In fact, I believe all of my dresses are such a style, as I'm able to pair them with a top under the dress top section. This also helps you tame otherwise "overly feminine" (puffy) shoulders that I know some members here would rather not wear. I like to wear my jumpers with a simple "plain Jane" tee shirt underneath. The little light pink Cato one seems to pair nicely with a lot of my dresses.

And Dennis, I've found from experience that jumper dresses tend to not have exaggerated breast areas for the most part and can actually lay quite flat on a mans chest. Those type of dresses tend to be worn by a more "traditional" and maybe even "puritan" type of woman, who are not exactly known for boasting their cleavage. The only downside is they (the dresses [0]) can be a little bland for the same reason....

Although once in a while you pick up a festive little gem...

[0]... Okay... maybe the women too... :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yeah, Moon I like that type of dress without fancy sleeves. If you look at the ones in my Pics and Looks post most are of that type. That's a nice dress you're wearing and goes with the sort of colours you wear.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Sinned wrote:Dresses have their problems too for us men mainly, but not exclusively, confined to the frontal area. Low cut bodice, mesh panels in that area, space for breasts that most of us don't have. That sort of thing. Sleeves that are too tight or too short or frilly. Patterns that we may not wear. Sigh, for every thing I suggest that is wrong with a dress I can see one or mare of you disagreeing with me and producing an example to support your view. I am always looking at dresses now but I see lots that I just couldn't see me wearing. Mind you, a year ago I didn't even consider dresses as men's wear at all. So some progress I suppose but I still probably have a long way to go. MOH certainly has some that I would wear - she just doesn't know it. And I have the photos to prove it.
My wife got rid of her one dress that I really coveted, a very straight fuscia number with long sleeves that closed like a jacket but was definitely a dress. It fit me well and I looked plausible in it to my eyes. That's the last time I ever try on anything of hers and like it but don't tell her before it's too late!

What made it work for me was the cut which sort of denied female breasts, butt and hips. Other than the colour and somewhat ornate buttons, it had no girly elements, and even had pockets. It was a tad short but not too mini. I could have managed it.
Daryl...
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Sinned wrote:Dresses have their problems too for us men mainly, but not exclusively, confined to the frontal area. Low cut bodice, mesh panels in that area, space for breasts that most of us don't have. That sort of thing. Sleeves that are too tight or too short or frilly. Patterns that we may not wear...
I agree, for all these reasons and more, finding a dress with a correct fit is much harder than finding a skirt with one.

The other for me is hesitation. I've bought a couple of dresses and tried them on but never worn them all day or gone out. I guess it's just another mental barrier to overcome.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

MOH has a wardrobe of dresses that she hasn't touched in a while and some of them are in my Pics and Looks thread. If she ever thinks about sorting them out then I will lay claim to some. She doesn't know that I've tried them on and covet them - I have to wait for the right opportunity to do so. I don't need to buy any - I've a ready supply.
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

not a dress as such but I do like my Caftans and Monks Robes
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Caultron wrote: I agree, for all these reasons and more, finding a dress with a correct fit is much harder than finding a skirt with one.
A guide for sizing.
https://www.asicentral.com/html/open/ed ... gguide.pdf
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Grok wrote:
Caultron wrote: I agree, for all these reasons and more, finding a dress with a correct fit is much harder than finding a skirt with one.
A guide for sizing.
https://www.asicentral.com/html/open/ed ... gguide.pdf
At least in my experience, a dress has a narrower chest, smaller shoulders, and thinner arms than a man's shirt with the same waist.

So it seems to me that to find a dress that fits, I'd need to know the arm length, wrist, upper arm, shoulder, bust, chest, waist, hip, and overall length measurements, at least.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron