Hurricane Ophelia

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hurricane Ophelia

Post by Kirbstone »

Hi Pleated,

The Irish Times caption was Center Park Road and it seems to be in Cork. The Google maps street view shows them all standing. Shame !

My little lake and surrounding woodland lies three miles due North of the bridge at Newbridge, Co. Kildare. We're in bogland, so the soil is soft.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

Kirbstone wrote:Hi Pleated,

The Irish Times caption was Center Park Road and it seems to be in Cork. The Google maps street view shows them all standing. Shame !

My little lake and surrounding woodland lies three miles due North of the bridge at Newbridge, Co. Kildare. We're in bogland, so the soil is soft.

Tom
That looked impressive (before the storm got at it). Over here on the north side of Dublin we have another very long and impressive tree-lined avenue, Griffith Avenue. I will have a walk there tomorrow to see what condition it has been left in.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Too icy to walk dogs on the road yesterday, so had a prowl round the grounds instead.

Nothing like a dusting of snow/frost to highlight the tasks ahead of us this year, certainly in the tree surgery dept.

Also, for those of you who collect eggs every morning, MOH just picked up this little basket which is cute.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I love that egg basket.
You will have plenty of fire wood for next winter - I expect that you have a wood heater.
I have had a few branches drop recently - from drought and heat - a vastly different scene - I think I prefer the icy snowy look, sitting here looking out at the hot wind.
weather100218.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Choking temps. & dryness, Denimini.

My only experience of that was in Seville, Spain one September when for our Masters Doubles race at 1.40PM the temp. stood at 45deg. and very dry with it. Not a great photo, taken by a friend down off a bridge over the course. (Ignore the date in the pic.)

After our race I just couldn't make any vocal sound for a good half-hour, so dry and rasping was my throat. Of eight boats we trailed in fifth. We Irish are not equipped to deal with such conditions. Our only success at that regatta was in an eights race run at 8AM in relatively cool 26 degree conditions.

Tom
Last edited by Kirbstone on Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Kirbstone wrote:Choking temps. & dryness, Denimi.

My only experience of that was in Seville, Spain one September when for our Masters Doubles race at 1.40PM the temp. stood at 45deg. and very dry with it. Not a great photo, taken by a friend down off a bridge over the course. (Ignore the date in the pic.)

After our race I just couldn't make any vocal sound for a good half-hour, so dry and rasping was my throat. Of eight boats we trailed in fifth. We Irish are not equipped to deal with such conditions. Our only success at that regatta was in an eights race run at 8AM in relatively cool 26 degree conditions.

Tom
Gee, I wouldn't like to be expending so much energy in that heat. Dehydration does terrible things to our bodies. Last month the "Tour Downunder" cycling race experienced in the 40'sC - and the tennis also about 40C - I don't know how they survive.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Tom, we have sold something similar to your egg basket without the tail piece and comb. I don't think that we have any in at the moment but we get them in from time to time.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

At the tennis outside temp was about 40C, on the centre court temp was over 50C, crazy!

John
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Just today, some eleven months after Hurricane Ophelia felled a 60-odd-foot tree across our little lake my younger son and I at last cleared the last branches blocking the lake. The horizontal stump remains and will be further truncated by chain saw when my son next visits. Living between Wells Somerset and the Avieron in C.Southern France, I value his rare appearances. We used the record low water table following our Summer-long drought to assist access to the tree. There is still some three feet depth of water there, even now.

He also erected a rustic carport with some felled small-diameter tree branches, using fine cabinet-maker's joinery courtesy of his chain saw and he adhered to an over-simplified design as illustrated :eye:

Tom
Last edited by Kirbstone on Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Is your son's middle name Flintstone by any chance? ;) But he put the wreckage to good use.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Right on the button, BL ! The son himself described his construction as straight out of the Flintstones :)

Tom
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:He also erected a rustic carport with some felled small-diameter tree branches, using fine cabinet-maker's joinery courtesy of his chain saw and he adhered to an over-simplified design as illustrated :eye:
Junior has a decent understanding of basic engineering I see. Good on him. I suspect he had good instruction as a wee one. If nothing else, you now have a place to hang laundry where it's out of the rain.

I don't know whether to be happy or sad that the Flintstones are well-known in places other than the US.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Yes Carl.
Said Junior has a civil engineering degree which he uses for his outdoor private commissions, childrens' playgrounds and very permanent outdoor garden furnishings &c., so chopping a few logs for his Mamma is child's play to him. He also has a hand in the construction of the Glastonbury festival structures each year, living where he is. He's also a very competent session guitarist/troubador, to boot.

Yes, I'm delighted with the wash-line shelter from the elements. I also now have an outdoor workshop in front of our barn/garage. Very useful.

They made a large-screen film of the Flintstones some years ago and a very close friend, godmother to one of our children was commissioned to make the costumes for the chosen actors, so we've heard a lot about the making of the film from her.

Tom