Disadvantages of Different Kinds of Skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: gender neutral uniforms for school.

Post by Grok »

If the powers that be are particularly clever, they will allow students to wear shorts. That way boys won't protest by wearing skirts. :idea:

And, of course, the transgender thing won't be an issue for clothing if skirts are banned.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Disadvantages of Different Kinds of Skirts

Post by Sinned »

Carl, maturity .... in teenagers .... you expecting miracles. I know many adults that haven't shown any evidence of maturity yet. And I'm not sure about myself either in this respect in some ways.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I needed to forsake 'The Kingdom' of Kerry today in the face of inclement weather and changed before locking up. The 215 mi. journey would take some 4 hours without delays so this time I chose my very swingy full-circle short number, which drops down between my legs and allows me grip a Fanta bottle there for 'in flight refreshment'

This would not have been at all possible had I worn a kilt, for instance.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Found an opinion online, "5 Reasons To Wear Short Skirts" by Simone Haruko Smith. I have been having trouble posting a link. The author is enthusiastic about the mobility that a short skirt may allow.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Ah, I see that somebody else has discovered the joy of velvet! Well done! (I adore velvet.)

I'm guessing the outer band of numbers on the velocity indicator is calibrated in "miles" per hour instead of the more normal kilometres per hour. What gives? I thought the krauts were thoroughly in the pockets of the French in that regard? (Unless, of course, they're nautical miles, in which case you were making a princely speed indeed!)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

crfriend wrote:Ah, I see that somebody else has discovered the joy of velvet! Well done! (I adore velvet.)

I'm guessing the outer band of numbers on the velocity indicator is calibrated in "miles" per hour instead of the more normal kilometres per hour. What gives? I thought the krauts were thoroughly in the pockets of the French in that regard? (Unless, of course, they're nautical miles, in which case you were making a princely speed indeed!)
I'm not entirely sure about Eire, but for the UK all speedometers indicate miles per hour as the primary/main unit with kilometres as the secondary/minor unit.

I am, however, concerned by the apparent "photography" whilst driving; although it was likely on a clear stretch of dual carriageway/motorway :eye:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Disaffected.citizen wrote:I am, however, concerned by the apparent "photography" whilst driving; although it was likely on a clear stretch of dual carriageway/motorway :eye:
This can be done in relative safety if there's nothing else in the immediate vicinity that merits prompt attention. I recall taking a snap of when my last minivan crested the 300,000 mile mark on Rt. 9 in Framingham, MA in a very congested and confusing stretch of highway when I happened to get a moment of calm. It's not really recommended, however, as things can evolve very quickly whilst driving and one must remain alert at all times.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Grok wrote:Found an opinion online, "5 Reasons To Wear Short Skirts" by Simone Haruko Smith. I have been having trouble posting a link. The author is enthusiastic about the mobility that a short skirt may allow.
Whilst running copper tubing under the house last week, I was wearing my ankle length denim dress, when it was determined I'd have to snake around in the narrow part of the crawl space. Not wanting to get my longer dress all dirty, nor be constantly getting it wrapped up in different binds further restricting my ease of movement in an already "tight spot" I opted to wear the shortest skirt I have, the little grey number.

It was a good choice though I will admit, many times due to the gymnastics I had to perform in the crawl space, it wore more like a belt and found myself more or less just exposing my underwear at all angles. But hey... it's a crawl space... who's looking anyway? :mrgreen:

That said... sitting bare legged with crawl space dirt touching your lower butt cheek... is an odd feeling. But I got it done.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I am not sure about the reasoning behind this particular shot but I figured I put my 2 cents in
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

And, then a previously posted pic in one of the threads here...

Wearing the flared above-knee denim skirt that I have on an early spring day...

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Gee guys, what a response! :)
Carl, I adore that little shiny velvet number and I can stuff it hidden away in a bag before just pulling it on (elastic) and it needs no ironing. My Beemer is an English import, re-registered here, hence MPH on the odometer.

Diss. Citizen, Over here with our sparse population outside the Dublin area we have hundreds of miles of nearly empty, albeit just two-lane M-ways, populated mainly by gleeful Northerners tonning it to the other extremes of the island, knowing that the chances of getting pulled are minimal, so the odd snap like that underway is perfectly OK.
85mph on cruise won't attract unwanted attention, but crank it up to 130+ and the bends and drainage slopes built into the road become very apparent The sinuous keep-drivers-awake routes built into the design of these rural M-ways is really for 75-80mph comfort.

OS1, A Subaru ! Nice wheels and lots of leg, of course :)

K. John, Old Faithful still going strong, I see. I also note that you have your defibrillator plugged into your cigar lighter :idea: 8)

Tom
Last edited by Kirbstone on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

How about something on the advantages of skirts.

I was on my way to see some of my other clients . These I still have to wear pants . Nature called and I had to make a pit stop.

I stopped at a MC Donalds and went in to use the rest room Taking care of business required dropping pants and sitting.

The bathroom was clean but I was still concerned about my lowered pants touching the floor It sure would have been great to be wearing a skirt that I could just hike up and go about what had to be done
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Well said, OS1. That very thought has occurred to me many times. Even in Winter, wearing tights under a skirt, these wouldn't get anywhere near the loo floor while making way for holding tank voiding (nautical term, sorry.)

I do think however, that that advantage only applies to shorter skirts, not floor sweepers. Correct me if I am wrong, Carl

Tom
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Actually, what I do with my longer dresses is to gather up the hem and toss that handful over my left shoulder, sort of looking like a sash. and take care of matters just as I would pulling my skirt hems up to my armpits to attend to things. :shock:
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Kirbstone wrote:....I do think however, that that advantage only applies to shorter skirts, not floor sweepers.
No problem, just gather them up and hold them above waist level until you have sat down; then bundle them onto your lap. It soon becomes second nature.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.