Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by phathack »

Caultron wrote:I too was hesitant about going to church skirted. But in the end, it was no different than going anywhere else skirted.

Why should it be? It's just people.
Clothing doesn't have a gender, thought it may be cut in such as way as to not properly fit my body.
We are all just people wearing clothing.

The biggest hurdle is within our own minds, as social creatures we want to be accepted in society.

Once I learned to not be concerned about what strangers might think about me or what I might be wearing I was free to dress however I felt like for that day, Skirt, Kilt, Dress, Leggings, Heels, Tights, etc.

I dress for the occasion, sometimes I have to conform the traditional male dress, other times I can dress however I feel like.

:ugeek:
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Fred in Skirts wrote:Were you skirted at the time?? :?: :?:
When I went to meet the church people I was wearing the outfit in the picture
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

oldsalt1 wrote:When I went to meet the church people I was wearing the outfit in the picture
Fantastic :!: :!: :!: Keep up the good work :!: I haven't worn to a church yet, but that is because I do not belong to any. But I just might go to church one of these Sundays (Skirted of course :lol: ).
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Mrs C and I went to the Sidmouth Folk Festival for the contra dancing. I chose to wear a purple skirt which is quite heavy and flares nicely during twirls.
One girl I danced with said she like my skirt. She was wearing a similar one and we agreed they flowed beautifully. A lady I danced with said that several women fancied my skirt and wanted it off me, and that she was first in the queue :wink:
It was just so nice to put on a skirt after showering in the morning, wear it all day and take it off before showering before bed (contra dancing makes you rather sweaty).
We also met Pelmut who was also skirted - of course :D
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

I was at Sidmouth for the whole week and was amazed at the number of young lads in skirts or dresses this year; during one of the 'Late Night Extras' there were so many that I thought they might have been an organised group (they weren't). I wore knee-length denim during the day and a variety of long 'full' skirts at the evening dances. It was great fun having 'twirling competitions' with some of the girls.

All the comments I received were positive and I was able to point several men in the direction of this forum.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

pelmut wrote:I was at Sidmouth for the whole week and was amazed at the number of young lads in skirts or dresses this year; during one of the 'Late Night Extras' there were so many that I thought they might have been an organised group (they weren't). I wore knee-length denim during the day and a variety of long 'full' skirts at the evening dances. It was great fun having 'twirling competitions' with some of the girls.

All the comments I received were positive and I was able to point several men in the direction of this forum.
...makes note to attend Sidmouth Folk Festival next year!!1
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Running some errands today The first is my second trip to the VA clinic No problems Going to the VA was one of my hardest trips. WE are all brothers there and acceptance by this group is very important to me.

After the clinic I went to Costco which is a big box store. again no problems When I wear my Vietnam Veteran hat I get a lot of :"thank you for your service "nods which i greatly appreciate it seems that about every third one stutters a little when they notice the skirt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

oldsalt1 wrote: The first is my second trip to the VA clinic No problems Going to the VA was one of my hardest trips.
I notice that among my outings, people who fall in the age of those who've most likely served tend to be at least polite (even if it's just leaving me alone) regarding how I dress. As the draft ended in 1973, past that point military service was voluntary, thus anyone today who is under 60 years old may or may not have served. [0] Such is the case that many men who are still old enough to be my father haven't served at all. I find it interesting that many of those trouble makers I've run into a work haven't served a lick, and likewise those who have tend to be more sympathetic to my plight. I'd venture a guess those who haven't served probably have seldom left the confines of their home county for their entire life and have no Earthly idea how good they have it, and further can not fully appreciate the true cost of the freedom they take for granted.

I spoke once to a veteran from the Iraqi conflict, his response to my choice in dress (after a discussion of some of his war stories) "Man, after some of the sh!t I've seen, what you wear doesn't bother me at all!"

Another interesting note: Of all the neighbors around our new home, only one has really reached out to us and made us feel welcome, even after I was seen dressed the way I do, John, who lives across the street, is in his 70's and served in Cold War from the late 50's to '63. He's a good man, always talks to us and says we can borrow anything he has if we need it... Meanwhile the other neighbors are well under 50 (looks to be upper 30's through 40's mostly) and for the most part completely ignore us... 'magine that.... :roll:

So, to all the veterans on this board, thanks for your service and thanks for being cool upon discharge. By holding onto your kindness and integrity you help make the home land more pleasant for everyone who lives here, as after all, it does no good to defend freedom abroad only to come home and harass people back into tyranny and oppression.

[0] As a man born in 1980 growing up I was accustomed to Vietnam era veterans being in their 30's and 40's respectively (my age today). To this day I still have the image of the 35 year old Vietnam vet in my head and am briefly taken back when I realize they're well in their 60's today! :shock: To think... I'm the same age as the "Old Hippie"! :bom:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:I notice that among my outings, people who fall in the age of those who've most likely served tend to be at least polite (even if it's just leaving me alone) regarding how I dress.
I've noticed this as well and have found that as a class ex-servicemen (and, to a slightly lesser extent) service-women) tend to be more polite and to have slightly more open minds than the typical civilian, though this must be tempered through all the other lenses that may be in play (PTSD, Alzheimers, &c.) which can warp things. It's something of a rarity to meet a "vet" who is, from the start, "trouble" -- and that may be down to other causes/reasons.

I am thankful to those have served, and tend to make that known. It's a pity that it's the service folks who take the brunt of sometimes-idiotic foreign policy. In this regard, it is critically important to not "blame the soldier" as he had no say in the matter.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

To Moonshadow:

As a veteran myself even though I served during "peacetime" I will thank you for your thoughts and will also express my own thanks to all the men and women who serve and have served our nation. For many that have been there have suffered greatly in ways that those that have not cannot appreciate or understand. That is why the vast majority of those that served during wartime will not speak of the atrocities that they have seen simply because they do not wish to relive those events. For those that have also suffered that they understand and don't even ask. Those that do ask, do so simply because they do not understand and sadly cannot be made to understand, it's an issue of you had to be there to wish you had not been.

The cost of freedom is one that is very high and many have paid for it with everything they have and others have paid for it with the images that they live with. The end result is that those who have been there understand the costs of giving others the right to be and live how they wish. and further they would not even think about even trying to take those rights away from another. To truly understand I will simply make this statement as to why they do. To serve you willingly give up all of your rights in order to be on call for action 24/7/365, when you have gone that far you will defend those rights to the full extent of everything you have simply because of the fact that you appreciate them that much more when those rights are returned to you when you exit your term of service.

I may not have communicated the full extent of how service affects those that have done it to those that have not. But I will ask that you consider those that gave their lives so that you can be alive, and those that gave their sanity so that you could live in sanity. I will also state that it greatly offends me to so those that live with the freedom to do as they wish who then squander it on selfishness and/or taking away those freedoms from others. Have a great day and may the creator you worship grant you the peace to live as who you are in the face of the enemies that you may face.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

TO: Old Salt

First of all, you look real sharp in your skirt. It looks a lot like the ones I prefer. I always wear a skirt for hiking, which I like to do in national and state parks, etc. I like nature and wildlife photography. I am in public quite often such as stores, restaurants, gas stations, hiking trails, ranger stations. No one has noticed my skirts or made any comments. I started wearing skirts over three years ago and should have sooner. I had some serious surgery and wearing pants was painful. Skirts are more comfortable, especially for hiking, sitting, and driving. I wear them around the house.

I can't say much about the Vietnam war because I wasn't there. I missed that one and am glad I did. I sympathize with anyone who was sucked up in it. Too many friends and classmates didn't come back or were forever changed from the experience. I also knew some Agent Orange casualties.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Hoborob Thank You for your service. I served in the Air Force (1960 t0 1964) I got out before the big push in Vietnam. But a lot of my friends did not come back from that fiasco and cluster fluk thanks to the politicians. Who were running our country then. Some of those that did return were so messed up they either committed suicide or died in mental hospitals. I was so glad that I did not have to go over there. To all of the military veterans on this forum Thank you for all you have done to help keep this country free. :salut:

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Old salt, we don't often see you in a casual outfit! That one is very good, I like it.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I know that there are a lot of Veterans active on, and just reading, the cafe.
I am sure that they would agree with me when I say that we greatly appreciate
the consideration that we receive from the members.
Thank You
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Just a follow up to a post from july My son who lives in New York City is going away for a few days in October. He is going to let me use his apt while he is away I am hoping to spend a couple of nights there .

It may sound strange but I am already planning my wardrobe. It will be for about 3 days and I don't plan on taking any pants with Me .

I have kind of devided the day into 3 parts

The first is for my trip in and maybe running out for breakfast For that I am planning on my normal denim skirts sneakers socks and a polo shirt.

After that I plan on going sightseeing I plan to go to the 9/11 world trade center museum one day and the Natural history museum the next. It may be a little colder so I put together a couple of outfits with Tights and skirts.

I am still working on my plans for the evenings

These outfits come close to Skirt dads do you think it is ok for a 72 year old to be running around the city in a micro mini :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.