Need Suggestions/Recommendations

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Need Suggestions/Recommendations

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Thanks to MicroSnot I have been locked out of my Acer tablet it has Win10 on it. It ran an update and lost my password to open it. Then it tells me to go to some MicroSnot web page and fix the problem. Since I don't use most of the MicroSnot crap I did not have an account and have not bought any of their stuff so that was a fail. Now I need help to get into my tablet so I can use it. Any suggestions?????
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

First suggestion: have a full system backup.
First suggestion part B: Restore from the backup.
First suggestion part C: Sit back, relax and be satisfied that you backed your system up properly.

What? you didn't back it up?

If that is the case then Oops!

Second suggestion, recovery mode and reset your machine to it's as bought configuration from the recovery partition or DVD images.
Re-install all additional software (If you can find licences as required), backups of data etc.

Third suggestion (The final solution?) Sit back, have a drink, weep gently!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

None of these will work as I can't even get pass the first sign in screen after hitting the switch. Also the tablet did not come with any disks (no place to put them) so the only thing left is the third solution and say farewell to a brand new tablet and go buy another when the funds become available. [Probably 5 years from now]. :(
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Sorry Fred, I missed the word Tablet.

For my PCs I bought a third party backup programme which can boot off a memory stick or DVD to restore a dissk, no good to you I realise.

My tablet is an iPad, again, iTunes is supposed to be able to restore when necessary, again no good to you.

Can you take it back to the dealer who supplied it for a restore? Or isn't there a way to do a factory reset?

Alternatively, contact the manufacturer and ask for recovery media, which will wipe it and reload the OS, i.e. a factory reset. They will probably charge a little bit for the media and you will lose anything that was on it.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

It's cold consolation now, but in spite of the common advice of never writing passwords down I do it all the time and keep the file-full of them in several locations with several different decryption keys that I can remember. This is important as many of my passwords are 30+ characters in length and resemble line noise (remember that?). That's also one of the things are listed in the "Special Instructions" paper that's kept in a sealed envelope with my will so my executor will have full access to all my systems when the time comes. (The boilerplate is typed and the passwords are hand-written in indelible ink. I can regenerate the list at any time merely by giving the decryption key and hand-writing that.)

Contact Mickey$loth and see what they'll do to fix the problem. Offer to sue for the value of the tablet plus the data thereon if they say they can't do anything. Contact a lawyer. However, do not expect any response or satisfaction.

Do not use Mickey$loth products going forward.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Eventhough it's based on android, the start-up is the same:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ6Wyjt7Lag
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Fred in Skirts wrote:None of these will work as I can't even get pass the first sign in screen after hitting the switch. Also the tablet did not come with any disks (no place to put them) so the only thing left is the third solution and say farewell to a brand new tablet and go buy another when the funds become available. [Probably 5 years from now]. :(
It should still be possible to do a full factory reset. I had to do this once for a client who had forgotten the password to his Surface. I forget the procedure but it should be easy enough to find. Unless it's broken the installer is on the internal drive and you don't need any CDs or memory sticks. If it's not broken, there's always a way.
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Fred in Skirts wrote:Thanks to MicroSnot I have been locked out of my Acer tablet it has Win10 on it. It ran an update and lost my password to open it. Then it tells me to go to some MicroSnot web page and fix the problem. Since I don't use most of the MicroSnot crap I did not have an account and have not bought any of their stuff so that was a fail. Now I need help to get into my tablet so I can use it. Any suggestions?????
Oh I forgot to mention that you can do it all without a Microsoft account, it's just not very obvious how. When setting up a username you have to click something else. I forget what. I have set up several Win10 machines from scratch without ever using a Microsoft account, so I know it's possible.
Daryl...
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Well I now have my tablet back! :cheers: However it is now a virgin machine. :( I will have to go about setting it up to suit my tastes. I was able to find out how to reset to factory settings and did so. It was not pretty at all. It took about 3.5 hours to complete and I had to baby sit it the whole time as it was asking questions that had to be answered before it would proceed with the reset. :evil: Then I had to reload Fire Fox and that took forever to DL since I am on the end of the phone line in my neighborhood and it can get so slow that you can't even send a small text file in less than 10 min. :cry:
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Fred in Skirts wrote:Well I now have my tablet back! :cheers: However it is now a virgin machine. :( I will have to go about setting it up to suit my tastes. I was able to find out how to reset to factory settings and did so. It was not pretty at all. It took about 3.5 hours to complete and I had to baby sit it the whole time as it was asking questions that had to be answered before it would proceed with the reset. :evil: Then I had to reload Fire Fox and that took forever to DL since I am on the end of the phone line in my neighborhood and it can get so slow that you can't even send a small text file in less than 10 min. :cry:
YAY! :D

Now, post your password here so there's always someplace you can find it. :wink:
Daryl...
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Daryl wrote:
Fred in Skirts wrote:Well I now have my tablet back! :cheers: However it is now a virgin machine. :( I will have to go about setting it up to suit my tastes. I was able to find out how to reset to factory settings and did so. It was not pretty at all. It took about 3.5 hours to complete and I had to baby sit it the whole time as it was asking questions that had to be answered before it would proceed with the reset. :evil: Then I had to reload Fire Fox and that took forever to DL since I am on the end of the phone line in my neighborhood and it can get so slow that you can't even send a small text file in less than 10 min. :cry:
YAY! :D

Now, post your password here so there's always someplace you can find it. :wink:
Password what password :?: :?: :lol: Since I am the only one using it I decided not to password protect it. That way I can't forget. :D I do not keep anything personal on it, just use it to access SK and one other site, and play games.
WesleyN
Member Extraordinaire

Post by WesleyN »

Usually I use Chrome. It works fine and I don't know every function. But with the short cuts I can do what I need. IExplorer and the new browser from Microsoft, they only ask stupid questions. "Don't ask any more stupid questions.
You already know the answers to....lalala" Oh that's a song of New Model Army. Sorry...
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Password what password :?: :?: :lol: Since I am the only one using it I decided not to password protect it. That way I can't forget. :D I do not keep anything personal on it, just use it to access SK and one other site, and play games.
Sadly enough if you have Windows 10 on it, it will eventually make you put in a password. It's part of the Windows 10 security system and when it decides you need it, you will have to set it up whether you want to or not. I don't think you have to have a Microsoft account if you have a student account at any school that you have attended.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

hoborob wrote:
Fred in Skirts wrote: Password what password :?: :?: :lol: Since I am the only one using it I decided not to password protect it. That way I can't forget. :D I do not keep anything personal on it, just use it to access SK and one other site, and play games.
Sadly enough if you have Windows 10 on it, it will eventually make you put in a password. It's part of the Windows 10 security system and when it decides you need it, you will have to set it up whether you want to or not. I don't think you have to have a Microsoft account if you have a student account at any school that you have attended.
There are certain conditions under which you need a password but unless you hit one of them, one is never needed. I have one Win10 machine that is basically the printer server and family walk-up kiosk and it runs and updates all the time with no password. Libre Office, Firefox, Chrome, VLC, Irfanview and Nero Video Platinum all work fine.

The machines I've set up that do require passwords require them for things like file sharing or remote desktop access. Also, if you do anything that needs a Microsoft account, a password-protected account on the machine itself may be necessary.

You can also set up a machine with a password protected account that is NOT a Microsoft account. Windows diverts you away from that during setup, but it is possible. You can even run Windows 10 without activating it, though a few features are inaccessible.
Daryl...