Polie stopped me AGAIN last night

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Polie stopped me AGAIN last night

Post by hairy »

A while ago I made a garment very much like a sarong so I can wear it in front of anyone, I go for evening walks while wearing it and don't need to worry about who see's me. It goes right from waist to ankle.
Three times so far this summer coppers have pulled up beside me and rudely asked what I'm wearing. Last night they even said that because I live close to a hospital they often get calls about people escaping. Honestly do we have to be head cases to wear skirts?
Last night when they asked me where I live I told them I did not wish to tell them. In the UK no one has to tell police their name or address which is something not too many people know about, but unless a person has committed a crime or suspected of having done so in which case they would get arrested. The police can not demand details. I did not give my details.
Anyway I'm just getting fed up with them stopping me because of what I'm wearing. If I was of different ethnic background the race card would be shouted at them. Think if the weather is warm tonight I'll go wearing a mini skirt long enough to cover everything, but a bright white mini and see what happens then.
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Polie stopped me AGAIN last night

Post by Mike »

Maybe it's not the skirt, but the automatic rifle over your shoulder that has em worried. :lol:
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

You ask them if you have done anything illegal. If they say no, then politely thank them and say goodbye.
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

I'd be more tempted to smile, introduce myself, extend a hand and see if they respond in kind. If they do, make a note of their name(s) for the smile/wave later. As for asking for address(es), I'll tell them, without hesitation an "Oh yeah, I live over on over on [honest answer] street". They can pull the street listing(s) if they get more curious than that. The important thing is doing it without hesitation (hesitation is a common liar's tell) and a friendly, personal tone. They spend 99% of the time looking for trouble and nearly all of the rest of the time dealing with people with a hostile attitude. A friendly approach defuses the expectation of hostile interaction. Remember, these drones are the first ones to show up should you find yourself in distress. Warming them up a little ahead of time can go a long way.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Police stopped me AGAIN last night

Post by Sinned »

Being friendly is all well and good, and you honestly don;t want to get ratty with police, but you just want to say politely, "I am not doing anything illegal, I am dressed well and this is the third time I have been stopped for no reason. Any more times and I will be entering a complaint about victimisation and want to know why I am being stopped. I will take your Police numbers now and on any future occasions. Now have a nice night and I hope NOT to see you again." Maybe it's the old bat causing trouble in which case see my post in I STILL can't ....

I was stopped by the police once late one night when cycling through the town centre, which isn't allowed, I was wearing a skirt and they politely told me to walk the bike but said nothing about the skirt.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

Stopped again tonight too, its every night now. They just asked me if I'm out for a stroll, I said just a bit of exercise. Then it was do you live locally? to which I just made a gentle grunt sound, Then off they went. I don't like coppers, been in trouble with them in my younger days, and my mum was one of them and even she didn't trust them. My sister worked with them too and she don't like them. I was again calm tonight and they were sort of OK too. I'll try and post a pic of what I was wearing tomorrow.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Hairy, Just take the bull by the horns and tell them straight away that it is none of their business what you are doing since walking down the street is not a crime. Do as Sinned says take their badge numbers and names tell them if the harassment continues you are going to the Commissioner with a complaint. Stand up to the bullies!!!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

As I said get their numbers and put in a complaint saying that you are being disturbed during natural and peaceful walks and want it stopped. Fred's right - it's none of their business. If you get stopped again tonight then there's another agenda going on and you have the right to know what it is - whether that old bat is making a complaint, it certainly has all the hallmarks of it, and if so then you seriously need to confront her, skirted , of course.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Hi,

I know that your profile is deliberately vague as to location and I understand that but could you at least let us know which police force this officer is attached to? Because if this officer hasn't got any reasons to believe you are about to commit crime then he is wasting his own time and police resources.
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

hairy wrote:Stopped again tonight too, its every night now. ...
Which U.K. police force has the resources to keep patrols on the streets night after night? I can't remember the last time I saw one in my area.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

pelmut wrote:
Which U.K. police force has the resources to keep patrols on the streets night after night? I can't remember the last time I saw one in my area.
Never see them on foot or where the druggies hang out near me, they just drive around in cars at night. If they were to take a walk with me for ten mins they would see loads of things that they SHOULD be acting upon.
I think that as my wife say's people are going to look when they see a man in a skirt, so its not really unexpected that police will want to ask questions when I'm out late at night skirted too. Just so long as they never ask if I'm a flasher or doing anything illegal. I'll be polite while they are.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

hairy wrote:...I think that as my wife say's people are going to look when they see a man in a skirt, so its not really unexpected that police will want to ask questions when I'm out late at night skirted too. Just so long as they never ask if I'm a flasher or doing anything illegal. I'll be polite while they are.
There may have been a flasher in your area recently, so the police could be on the alert for anyone who might meet their preconceived idea of what a flasher might look like when he's not actually flashing.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

hairy wrote:Stopped again tonight too, its every night now. They just asked me if I'm out for a stroll, I said just a bit of exercise. Then it was do you live locally? to which I just made a gentle grunt sound, Then off they went. I don't like coppers, been in trouble with them in my younger days, and my mum was one of them and even she didn't trust them. My sister worked with them too and she don't like them. I was again calm tonight and they were sort of OK too. I'll try and post a pic of what I was wearing tomorrow.
Why not write them a letter and ask for an explanation?
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

pelmut wrote:
None! Police numbers in the UK have fallen since 2010.
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

Definitely get their names and at least log the encounter. I'm mixed about reporting it to their higher-ups. Doing so will cause management to judge it and them, and then act on them accordingly. (In other words: positive, negative, or neutral, it WILL get back to them).