Man sent home from work for wearing shorts in 30C heat goes

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Man sent home from work for wearing shorts in 30C heat goes

Post by renesm1 »

Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Man sent home from work for wearing shorts in 30C heat g

Post by Sinned »

It's that time of year again. The thermometer gets above 25 and the cack-handed old fogie managers with their head stuck up their back orifices couldn't run the office sweep-stake never mind a load of staff decide that they are going to stick with the company rules that were written when Disraeli was Prime Minister. Instead of the lame now they can wear shorts that are two inches above the ankle they should fall on their swords - literally. Faced with the same situation I would look at what the women were wearing and copy them.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

And there has been the usual scenario of punishing the boys who wore shorts to school - mind you, these were their exercise shorts, but the average British teenager probably hasn't got anything else of that nature in his wardrobe. Apparently they were permitted to remove their ties!!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

I wonder how the Londoner's would handle 118 F on the original London Bridge imported to the USA years ago.
Maybe your Parliament should take up business on the shores of Lake Havasu.

Let's see 118 F converts to almost 48 C.

So your present 30 C =s 86 F of course with that nasty humidity bug you would be swimming and boiling in sweat instead of baking in it !

And then on this side of the pond we (USA) have political types ignoring Global Warming - not happening - doesn't exist - no sense in attending
meetings to discuss about it - surely you must be having a heated babble brain effect or some other malady.

Need to open an investigation into the Russkies playing games with mother nature's weather - they seem to be putting their noses into more things
than they should like keeping peace on the home front.

C - F and F - C LINK:

https://weather.dfrc.nasa.gov/ctof.pdf

Yo'all stay cool now ya hear !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

r.m.anderson wrote:I wonder how the Londoner's would handle 118 F on the original London Bridge imported to the USA years ago.
Maybe your Parliament should take up business on the shores of Lake Havasu.

Let's see 118 F converts to almost 48 C.

So your present 30 C =s 86 F of course with that nasty humidity bug you would be swimming and boiling in sweat instead of baking in it !

And then on this side of the pond we (USA) have political types ignoring Global Warming - not happening - doesn't exist - no sense in attending
meetings to discuss about it - surely you must be having a heated babble brain effect or some other malady.

Need to open an investigation into the Russkies playing games with mother nature's weather - they seem to be putting their noses into more things
than they should like keeping peace on the home front.

C - F and F - C LINK:

https://weather.dfrc.nasa.gov/ctof.pdf

Yo'all stay cool now ya hear !
Well, if quite a lot of your wealth depended on fossil fuels, course you'd be denying any link to climate change. It's straight from the big tobacco playbook!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

renesm1 wrote:Well, if quite a lot of your wealth depended on fossil fuels, course you'd be denying any link to climate change. It's straight from the big tobacco playbook!
Trust me, that is quite well understood here. Very few people put any credibility on the deniers here because the charade is so transparent that it's laughable. However, they do have the ears of those in power, and as such wield much sway. When Trump announced the withdrawal from the Paris Accord one could hear the salivating from the executives at Ford, GM, and Exxon/Mobil. It was quite disgusting.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

86 degrees? (30C)... shoot... that's a mild day!

Wait until August when it cranks up to about 98F (36.6C) and about 90% humidity...

And yes, our U.S. southern fat cats still expect their property (the workers) to sweat it out on roofs and parking lots in dark colored trousers! At least this guy gets an air conditioned office!
From the article wrote:He predicted he would be home again soon...
And if he had attempted such a stunt around here... he would have been [sent home again]....

But I have to admit, bellyaching about 86 degrees to me does put him squarely in "pansy" territory... Lets see him pop the hatch on some strip mall roof, poke his heat up and observe the heat waves, surrounded by condensers that are billowing out blistering hot air from their coils, or do any kind of involved work in any restaurant that's in full production while the air conditioner is down or froze up as the temperature exceeds 110 or higher degrees in some cases.

... yep, the more I think about it- he's a pansy.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Contrary to Carl's assertion that the North American auto industry is happy about the US leaving the Paris Accord, both the major US oil companies and all of the major US nameplate auto companies recommended against it.

Don't take Carl's or my word for it, read the US newspapers and business press.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

moonshadow wrote:86 degrees? (30C)... shoot... that's a mild day!

Wait until August when it cranks up to about 98F (36.6C) and about 90% humidity...

And yes, our U.S. southern fat cats still expect their property (the workers) to sweat it out on roofs and parking lots in dark colored trousers! At least this guy gets an air conditioned office!

And if he had attempted such a stunt around here... he would have been [sent home again]....

But I have to admit, bellyaching about 86 degrees to me does put him squarely in "pansy" territory... Lets see him pop the hatch on some strip mall roof, poke his heat up and observe the heat waves, surrounded by condensers that are billowing out blistering hot air from their coils, or do any kind of involved work in any restaurant that's in full production while the air conditioner is down or froze up as the temperature exceeds 110 or higher degrees in some cases.

... yep, the more I think about it- he's a pansy.
In where I live temperatures of 30C and above are normal everyday, especially in the dry season (temperatures get somewhat lower in the wet season). Today the temperature here is 34C.
らき☆
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yes, but Judah that's dry heat. I was in Egypt a couple of years ago in July and the temperature was between 35 and 40 for almost the whole time. And it was bearable, just, as long as there was a swimming pool nearby, because it was dry. This past week we've had temperatures of just over 30 but because the humidity was high, and let's be honest we just ain't used to it either, then the sweat couldn't evaporate and it was all sticky and awful. I had one night where I was up at 02:30 to go for a walk just to cool down in the mild evening air.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Todays high temperature in Phoenix is 113° F (45° C), a welcome cool-off from the 120° F (49° C) we've been having the last few days.

And in six months the northerners will be calling us weather wimps.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:And in six months the northerners will be calling us weather wimps.
Nah, we Northerners get the fact that you're dealing with a different set of issues than we get. If anything we regard you lot as fortunate in that you live in a dry climate -- we get the humidity, and if you want miserable try either hot or cold coupled with a high dew-point.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:Nah, we Northerners get the fact that you're dealing with a different set of issues than we get. If anything we regard you lot as fortunate in that you live in a dry climate -- we get the humidity, and if you want miserable try either hot or cold coupled with a high dew-point.
Actually, sometime in the next few weeks, our "monsoon" season will start and bring in extra humidity.

For most of the year, our air comes in from the Pacific Ocean and then passes up and over the mountains in California. The air cools with altitude and most of the moisture falls out before it gets to us. That's why it's so dry here.

But in mid- to late-summer, the winds shift and we get our air from the south. Then there are no mountains to pass over, and so the air comes to us a lot more humid. There's also more turbulence, resulting in wind, dust, and lightning storms. The moisture in the air does act as a partial barrier to the sun, though, and temperatures drop to the low 100's. (That means 100-105, BTW, and not 100-500.) That's the monsoon season.

I know it's crazy that the dry air comes from the Pacific and the humid air from Mexico but oh well, it's a crazy state.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:I know it's crazy that the dry air comes from the Pacific and the humid air from Mexico but oh well, it's a crazy state.
It's not crazy -- it's geography!

One thing that's incredible to watch is a time-lapse of the weather-satellite imagery from GOES-East and seeing how the mountains in Mexico "breathe" according to the time of day. They soak up moisture in the night-time and release it as clouds during the day, albeit with mostly insufficient moisture to cause precipitation. I'm not sure if those animations are routinely available from NOAA, but I've had processes running for years snap-shotting every east coast image (which looks west enough to catch most of the US and Mexico) and which I have other processes stitch those images into movies once a day and rotating by weeks. Want to see Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans? I've got that. "Superstorm Sandy" into New York City? That, too. What a magical planet we live on.