Mum lets boy wear dresses and skirts

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Mum lets boy wear dresses and skirts

Post by renesm1 »

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/02/mum-photo ... g-6677713/

Nice story, shame about some of the comments. The usual "he will be confused/bullied" etc. I hate reading the bottom half of the internet!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Mum lets boy wear dresses and skirts

Post by moonshadow »

Nice article and the photos are pretty cool! The kid's got style!

The only thing I hate about these type of articles is they always make my computer VERY laggy. I mean really... does every freakin' story have to be 80% flash advertising?? I stumbled onto one last night that required a total shut down and reboot, it actually locked up my whole system. Switching over to Chrome helped a little (firefox really seems to choke on ad heavy pages), but now even Chrome is having a hard time. As it stands wikipedia and skirtcafe are about the only two sites left I can visit.

Okay, rant over. :)

Back to the story at hand, I couldn't read any comments, but based on what you said, I have to say, I'm not sure what it is about society that they think they have the epic wisdom to police eccentric behavior. Further complicated by the double standard of how nobody bats an eye when a girl wears cammo hunters garb.

I'm also not sure he's confused. I'm not confused, and I know growing up I had quite the urge to wear skirts and dresses, although not having any sisters of the same age there was nothing to experiment on. I do recall wearing mom's flats around when I was young until one day until I got scolded for acting like a sissy, and shamed into taking them off... :blue:

I'm sure many of us have at some point in our childhood at least thought about trying on those forbidden fruits....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

To get the comments you have to scroll down about 80% and then click a purple bar that says, "Comments (262)," or however many the are at the moment.

There's a lot of, "That's defenely against my religion," (spelled that way), "Poor kid," (even thought he kid looks very happy in all the photos), and, "He will be bullied at school and will have no friends." Daytime talk-show junkies, no doubt.

There are a few along the lines of, "He looks to me like a very happy, carefree child. Beautiful photographs," though. And there's one:
  • this child reminds me of my brother when he was that age. he has always been androgynous, basically came out of the womb that way! we were so lucky to have parents as accepting as we do. my brother has always been accepted by family and friends, yeah you get the occasional bully but you ignore them because you know that's down to their closed minded parents. nice one for letting your kid express themselves freely.
I have to tell you, there seems to be a lot of, "Just do whatever makes your child happy," thinking going on with millennial parents, almost to the point of wondering who's in charge of those relationships. But I certainly support letting kids wear what they want.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

moonshadow wrote:
I'm sure many of us have at some point in our childhood at least thought about trying on those forbidden fruits....
Indeed. Thought about it, but kept it to oneself.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

moonshadow wrote:...The only thing I hate about these type of articles is they always make my computer VERY laggy. I mean really... does every freakin' story have to be 80% flash advertising?? I stumbled onto one last night that required a total shut down and reboot, it actually locked up my whole system. Switching over to Chrome helped a little (firefox really seems to choke on ad heavy pages), but now even Chrome is having a hard time. As it stands wikipedia and skirtcafe are about the only two sites left I can visit....
Try AdGuard, which can work with as many as 4 or 5 others. But try AdGuard by itself first and set your DNS to use AdGuard's public DNS servers which filters out ad sites and malware sites, etc. Worth a shot.

Then you can spend more time looking at the ladies...well, some of us who aren't...oh...waitaminnit....we're looking for fashion ideas, that's the ticket!! And, of course, look at skirts. :lol:
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

moonshadow wrote: The only thing I hate about these type of articles is they always make my computer VERY laggy. I mean really... does every freakin' story have to be 80% flash advertising?? I stumbled onto one last night that required a total shut down and reboot, it actually locked up my whole system. Switching over to Chrome helped a little (firefox really seems to choke on ad heavy pages), but now even Chrome is having a hard time. As it stands wikipedia and skirtcafe are about the only two sites left I can visit.
You can use the uBlock Origin add-on for Firefox to block the ads.
らき☆
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:I mean really... does every freakin' story have to be 80% flash advertising?? I stumbled onto one last night that required a total shut down and reboot, it actually locked up my whole system. Switching over to Chrome helped a little (firefox really seems to choke on ad heavy pages), but now even Chrome is having a hard time. As it stands wikipedia and skirtcafe are about the only two sites left I can visit.
As they've done to television and radio, the hucksters have poisoned the Internet as well. The only mechanism to buffer yourself from the onslaught (there's nothing that's 100%) is to use ad-blocking software and, if you have an advanced enough local environment, usurp in DNS as many of the advertising sites a possible so your browser never even reaches them. I had to do the latter where I used to live because in addition to highly-unwelcome visual (and sometimes aural) clutter, advertising sites tend to be places where viruses and the like are downloaded from; this caused my late partner much grief and me more in de-virusing her Windwoes box every couple of weeks. The DNS tactic worked so well that I left it in place when I moved away following her demise.

As far as reading the comments on the 'Net goes, I usually don't bother. Much of it is bilge and dreck, and a large portion of that it rather hateful. I have no use for that stuff in my life, which is complex and unpleasant enough at times.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

crfriend wrote:
moonshadow wrote:I mean really... does every freakin' story have to be 80% flash advertising?? I stumbled onto one last night that required a total shut down and reboot, it actually locked up my whole system. Switching over to Chrome helped a little (firefox really seems to choke on ad heavy pages), but now even Chrome is having a hard time. As it stands wikipedia and skirtcafe are about the only two sites left I can visit.
As they've done to television and radio, the hucksters have poisoned the Internet as well. The only mechanism to buffer yourself from the onslaught (there's nothing that's 100%) is to use ad-blocking software and, if you have an advanced enough local environment, usurp in DNS as many of the advertising sites a possible so your browser never even reaches them. I had to do the latter where I used to live because in addition to highly-unwelcome visual (and sometimes aural) clutter, advertising sites tend to be places where viruses and the like are downloaded from; this caused my late partner much grief and me more in de-virusing her Windwoes box every couple of weeks. The DNS tactic worked so well that I left it in place when I moved away following her demise.

As far as reading the comments on the 'Net goes, I usually don't bother. Much of it is bilge and dreck, and a large portion of that it rather hateful. I have no use for that stuff in my life, which is complex and unpleasant enough at times.
I good adblocker works well. I hate to endorse those kinds of things as I work in an industry that relies on advertising to support it, but it maybe beneficial to use them if your internet connection is very slow. A lot less to download!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Judah14 wrote:You can use the uBlock Origin add-on for Firefox to block the ads.
Thanks Judah! I loaded it, went back to the site, and HOLY CRAP! :shock: It loaded!

Now that I can read the article without waiting 5 minutes between scrolls for my computer to catch up, I have had a chance to view the comments.... and all I can say about that is....
crfriend wrote:As far as reading the comments on the 'Net goes, I usually don't bother. Much of it is bilge and dreck, and a large portion of that it rather hateful. I have no use for that stuff in my life, which is complex and unpleasant enough at times.
^ This.

I notice it seems to use the facebook plugin for comments, (evident by the "like" button). Facebook has a tendency to draw out the ugliest in humanity, everyone's got a damned opinion and they love to shove it down everyone else's throat. Which is the main reason I left the site, so they can take their opinions and shove them up their ass where they belong.... :lol: :twisted:

Still... I love that kid's style. I wouldn't mind finding some stuff like they myself... er uh... in a size 12 of course! :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I think this one is my favorite, definitely something I would wear... Love the see through nature of the outer skirt....

I like his strap shoes (Mary Jane's) too, still looking for a pair of those in my size.

-Andrea
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

moonshadow wrote:I think this one is my favorite, definitely something I would wear... Love the see through nature of the outer skirt....
I like his strap shoes (Mary Jane's) too, still looking for a pair of those in my size.
Those are ballet slippers made just for dancing. They are soft all of the way even the soles are really soft so that the foot can do what needs to be done.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

crfriend wrote:
moonshadow wrote: As they've done to television and radio, the hucksters have poisoned the Internet as well. The only mechanism to buffer yourself from the onslaught (there's nothing that's 100%) is to use ad-blocking software and, if you have an advanced enough local environment, usurp in DNS as many of the advertising sites a possible so your browser never even reaches them. .
My gaze has become highly selective; my gaze/brain has begun to filter out ads, and focus only on the material of interest to me.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:[Snipped another completely and incompetently mis-attributed quote.]
Grok (who clearly doesn't) wrote:My gaze has become highly selective; my gaze/brain has begun to filter out ads, and focus only on the material of interest to me.
That's fine if you have nearly unlimited download bandwidth, an obscenely fast machine that you sit in front of (as well as one that's immune to viruses, malware, and other advertising-related offal). However, if you don't have all of those, blockers of various sorts are virtually a necessity in this day and age. I gave up on commercial television years ago because of the rotten S/N ratio, and I've mainly given up on commercial radio (which includes NPR now). E-mail has become virtually useless because of the persistent and ever-present spam problem (and, more-so, the filters used to combat same), and the web is getting darned close to being useless. Even telephone-based spam (including mobiles) is rampant -- and that's because nobody's going to take action because there's money in it. (There's also forum spam -- which I take a very strong stance against -- which is why the S/N ratio here is pretty good.)

I feel for renesm1, but the pollution really needs to stop. At some point in time -- and that point is approaching -- the S/N ration will be so close to zero that the 'Net will become unusable (as commercial TV and radio have).

I have gotten to the point where I'm taking notes on the worst advertising offenders on the 'Net and will refuse to do business with them going forward. We shall see how long that tactic remains viable...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I have virtually given up on television (the TV I have I use for DVDs only); given up on e-mail; and filter text messages/voice mail rigorously.

As for the Internet, I expect the only viable forums will be ones that are heavily moderated.

BTW, I have come across comments about the "crapification" of television channels. Channels that once had worthwhile content began to cut costs by showing, for example, "reality shows" about hillbillies. So now one can describe a C/N ratio-that is, a Crap to Noise ration.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

With respect to the article, good to see that he's willing to think for himself. Hope he continues to do so.

With respect to Firefox choking on things, open up the Web Console (control-shift-J on Windows and Linux and command-shift-J on OS X), then click the small trashcan icon. Frequently, even when flickr is trying to do its usual "this file has timed out" stuff during an upload, it'll get things moving again.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo