Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Daryl »

john62 wrote:This was the today's clothing choice, I think it looks OK
John
It does look okay. Now what is it and where do I get one?
Daryl...
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Hi Daryl,
The skirt is an ankle length corduroy skirt from www.ShukrClothing.com, comes in different colours and is about $65 US dollars. The Company's sizing chart is accurate and very fast service and reasonable postage costs.

John
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

john62 wrote:Hi Daryl,
The skirt is an ankle length corduroy skirt from http://www.ShukrClothing.com, comes in different colours and is about $65 US dollars. The Company's sizing chart is accurate and very fast service and reasonable postage costs.
John
Wow, what a great site. Apparently everything comes from Jordan. The thobes and jubbas are pretty interesting too. Even though I can get those locally, the selection is not as wide and finding my size in a small shop is iffy. Still, I like to support local businesses, so I'm torn.

I picked two women's skirts (the "power walk" and "buttoned pleated" skirts) and discovered that I'll need to shed a couple more inches. :( Still, it's heartening because those skirts are almost the exact kind I would choose for myself, and at reasonable prices. I suspect most guys here could fit into them, and being Islamic fashions where the emphasis is on modesty, feminine cliches like frills and peakaboos are not present. The extra length could easily be removed and the material used for bags, purses or belt loops, with more to spare. Some of the jilbabs look like they could be adapted, too, but I suspect that sleeve and neck sizing could be stumbling blocks.
Daryl...
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Yes I have quite a few skirts from the Company.

John
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

Last Wednesday I was walking on a trail in a National Park. I was wearing a skirt from Dickie's, who are famous for making comfortable work clothes. I had it shortened to above the knees to resemble shorts. I encountered a young lady hiker coming the opposite direction and I began a conversation with her. She was asking me about points of interest in the park and surrounding area as she was from a distant state and was not familiar with certain sights and destinations. She didn't notice that I was wearing a skirt even though we were having a conversation about eight or ten feet apart. Finally I decided to ask her if she noticed what I was wearing. She looked puzzled and hadn't noticed until I showed her my skirt. She said she thought I was wearing khaki shorts and then said it looked nice and comfortable. I told her I had been wearing skirts when hiking for a few years because they are comfortable. We parted in opposite directions. It was a test to see how obvious my skirt was to other people. I already felt confident when wearing skirts, but this encountere reinforced it.

Happy-N-Skirts
Last edited by Happy-N-Skirts on Sat May 20, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Well, the above certainly points out that if one is confident enough one's attire really doesn't matter all that much and that it's the interaction that's memorable and fun. I suspect this is pretty universal, but it's very nice to see it in action in different places.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Khaki2.jpg
Interesting....

Wearing a black T with a flap...of sorts...of white around the neck and both short-sleeves to make it look like you've a white T on underneath the black T. Tucked into a khaki skirt with wide belt loops and a large thick brown belt, has a fly with 4 medium large buttons and two large side pockets....knee-length. Had on black knee socks and all black women's dress sneakers.

Went to Kroger to get some groceries after visiting Steak-n-Shake for a Frisco Melt, fries and a Coke Zero.

No stares, no double-takes, nothing.

Well, the waitress at Steak-n-Shake smiled a lot.

And a young black guy bagging my groceries excused himself to ask what the 'bottom' I was wearing was called. :o I replied "it just a skirt, it's cool."

He said "sure is." :shock:

Actually, I meant cool as in breezy, but I think he meant the other kind of cool. 8)

I'll likely wear it again tomorrow briefly so I'll try to get a photo. It was 10pm when I got home and I'd prefer using daylight rather than hand-held phone-flash.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Darryl on Mon May 22, 2017 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Darryl wrote:[...] women's dress sneakers.
Oxymoron alert :!: :twisted:

Some things cannot be dressed up, no matter how hard one tries. Sneakers (trainers) are one of those things.
[... T]he waitress at Steak-n-Shake smiled a lot.
Well, that's a win to put in your back pocket. Ditto with the chap at the grocer's.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote: It was a test to see how obvious my skirt was to other people.Happy-N-Skirts
I honestly think people are more absorbed in themselves, their phones, and their own world to worry about what a man is wearing. Women, on the other hand, check each other out constantly. I think our gender gives us a "pass." I've never had a bad experience in a skirt. Usually what gets noticed are the heels :lol: but I expect that. If I'm wearing mens shoes, the hosiery and the skirt are both often missed.
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Big and Bashful wrote:...Well yesterday he did it, stuck his kilt on and took his dog walkies, I am guessing for one of his 6 mile jaunts. His only regret was ordering a belt which is too heavy for hiking. I think this counts as a success! Oh, he also regrets getting a black kilt, shows all dog hairs.
Sound like a new convert! Hope he gets another kilt say in khaki or beige for his dog walking!
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

skirtingtoday wrote:
Big and Bashful wrote:...Well yesterday he did it, stuck his kilt on and took his dog walkies, I am guessing for one of his 6 mile jaunts. His only regret was ordering a belt which is too heavy for hiking. I think this counts as a success! Oh, he also regrets getting a black kilt, shows all dog hairs.
Sound like a new convert! Hope he gets another kilt say in khaki or beige for his dog walking!
He is certainly sticking to the walking in the kilt, was complaining about the kilt not being good after a few hours of heavy rain but I failed to convince him to buy a Rain Kilt from Amazon. They are too long, however, he did say one could be shortened as necessary. Yep, I reckon he is a convert, to modern kilts anyway.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I was at a Memorial Day Parade yesterday. There were the usual participants Bands veterans units cars fire trucks . and of course the normal bag pipe band with the members all kilted. The band had mostly men a few women and than I noticed one young boy I would say 12ish. seeing him in his kilt was very refreshing. .
I am sure he has caught his share of grief from his young friends. but it was just nice to see.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

oldsalt1 wrote:I was at a Memorial Day Parade yesterday. There were the usual participants Bands veterans units cars fire trucks . and of course the normal bag pipe band with the members all kilted. The band had mostly men a few women and than I noticed one young boy I would say 12ish. seeing him in his kilt was very refreshing. .
I am sure he has caught his share of grief from his young friends. but it was just nice to see.
I noticed one young boy I would say 12ish.

XXXXX

Brought back memories of a video clip I filed away years ago:

"Eyes Right!" Little Belgian Boy Saluting Canadian Troops

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=622_123 ... ePD4Lsy.99
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

That clip sure put a smile on my face.

The Belgians are still very grateful to the countries and soldiers who liberated their nation from the Nazis.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

My wife and I are on vacation!

We flew to Las Vegas and rented a car and are exploring the area of southern Utah and northern Arizona. Right now we are in Monument Valley and will be taking a tour there tomorrow morning. We've been to several beautiful parks and will be visiting Zion National Park on the way back to Las Vegas. I am full time skirting, even on the airplane. There has not been any problems or anything out of the ordinary (as most of you already knew); except for one small thing. I caught a lady taking a picture of me as I walked by her at a park. First time that has happened that I know of. No big deal really. It will be interesting to see if I get any reactions in Las Vegas, we'll be spending most of our time there around the Fremont area, as last time we were there a few years ago we spent on the strip and didn't see Fremont at all.

At this stage in life I really enjoy shaking up "the establishment" and "society". I also think that maybe some other men will see me and think, "If he can do it, so can I".
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon