Hi I am new

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
JoePublic

Hi I am new

Post by JoePublic »

I have been curious about skirts for some years, I saw a guy walking down my local street in a jeans skirt and I decided I might try one myself. So very nervous though. But I found this site and it is interesting to see I am not alone. I had an injury to my thigh that made shorts painful, but dont know what some will make of a skirt the same length and colour :blue:

I would like some advice. I live in London, UK.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hi I am new

Post by Caultron »

Welcome to the board, JoePublic! I'm sure it'll be great having you along.

As to wearing a skirt in public, this is something everyone here has been through. Before you do it, you'll probably have great anxiety over what other people will think and how they'll react. But once you've done it once or twice and calmed down enough to look at the world around you, you'll see that other people don't think it's a big deal at all. Believe it or not, most won't even notice, and among those who do, most will dismiss it with a shrug or an, "Oh well."

So my advice is to visit a thrift shop, buy yourself a denim skirt (probably knee length, and just where it somewhere. Two common first-time locations are gas stations and convenience stores some distance from home, but anywhere will do. It just depends on your comfort level.

The biggest challenge will be not to cringe or cower. People will react far worse to that than to your clothing, unconventional as it may be. Just carry yourself confidently, or at least give the appearance.

Do you have a wife, relative, or friend you're particularly concerned about seeing you in a skirt?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Welcome! :D Good luck with your first outing.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Don't know if this will help, but if you have any Renaissance Fairs nearby, I found that to be a great venue for first-time wearing. Especially good if you've something at or just below the knees, high socks, moccasins and can otherwise look just a little bit medieval. I wore a business casual skirt-suit without the jacket and with a more relaxed shirt, open at the neck a few buttons.

Then on your way home, stop at a gas station, convenience store or restaurant (for dinner). If it is at or near the town hosting the event, people will be a little used to it. Then go back a couple times and you'll have some people thinking I've seen him before, he's okay. Breath, stay calm, and imagine everyone you speak with as naked. :shock: Just be yourself.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

JoePublic wrote:I have been curious about skirts for some years, I saw a guy walking down my local street in a jeans skirt and I decided I might try one myself. So very nervous though. But I found this site and it is interesting to see I am not alone. I had an injury to my thigh that made shorts painful, but dont know what some will make of a skirt the same length and colour :blue: I would like some advice. I live in London, UK.
Hi Joe,
:welcome:

Let me just say don't worry about what others will think or say. Do they buy your clothes or pay you to wear a certain uniform all of the time?? Probably not.. :)

I started to wear skirts because of a medical problem and have never stopped. Sure it was hard to go out in public the first couple of times but by the third time I was very comfortable in my skirts. Now they are all I wear. Every where I go I am skirted and not just denim skirts either. BUT they are a good way to start as most people will see shorts because they are too busy with their own problems to look closer than a quick glance. So be your self, walk with your head held high, and remember your are doing nothing wrong.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Darryl wrote:Don't know if this will help, but if you have any Renaissance Fairs nearby, I found that to be a great venue for first-time wearing. Especially good if you've something at or just below the knees, high socks, moccasins and can otherwise look just a little bit medieval. I wore a business casual skirt-suit without the jacket and with a more relaxed shirt, open at the neck a few buttons.

Then on your way home, stop at a gas station, convenience store or restaurant (for dinner). If it is at or near the town hosting the event, people will be a little used to it. Then go back a couple times and you'll have some people thinking I've seen him before, he's okay. Breath, stay calm, and imagine everyone you speak with as naked. Just be yourself.
Renaissance Fairs, Celtic fests, arts and crafts shows/districts, music festivals, rock concerts, comicons, tattoo shows -- they're all counter-cultural and all free spirited. If the size of the crowd (probably all strangers) doesn't put you off, they're great places to find easy acceptance.

I've been accepted everywhere from biker bars to pro hockey games to church on Sunday. Just assert yourself and do it.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

It helps to have a few witty quips prepared, ready to de-fuse any comments. Most people are curious about anything different, so a friendly light-hearted reply will usually set their mind at rest and can often lead to an interesting conversation.

Have a look through the archives, there are plenty of examples of positive interactions with the public.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Joe.

Believe it or not, most folk don't even notice a skirt on a man. Good advice above - my first time was at a petrol (ie gas) station i would not normally use, wearing a denim miniskirt (14" long). A couple of double-takes was all I saw. Heart was pounding I can tell you!

Go for it - just look confident!

Ross
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
JoePublic

Post by JoePublic »

skirtingtoday wrote:Joe.

Believe it or not, most folk don't even notice a skirt on a man. Good advice above - my first time was at a petrol (ie gas) station i would not normally use, wearing a denim miniskirt (14" long). A couple of double-takes was all I saw. Heart was pounding I can tell you!

Go for it - just look confident!

Ross
Thanks for the advice, Ross! I have several pairs of denim shorts, but I bought a denim skirt, a knee length one that could look like shorts, it was just one of the straight ones. I was scared as hell but Iwent to a petrol station in my skirt, and bought a pair of tights as my legs don't look too great because of eczema. A lady was behind me in the queue, but she didn't say anything. I wore the skirt with a T shirt, socks and trainers. I liked the feel of the skirt, but not the sick feeling of dread with this little trip. I tried to just look straight ahead and act like it was no big deal, as if I was in shorts. I live to tell the tale...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

JoePublic wrote:I liked the feel of the skirt, but not the sick feeling of dread with this little trip. I tried to just look straight ahead and act like it was no big deal, as if I was in shorts. I live to tell the tale...
The butterflies will pass as you gain more confidence in wearing skirts -- even if you think they might not. That said, as you noticed, the sky is still where it was the day before, you were not accosted in any way, and it generally went off uneventfully.

Go forth and gain confidence!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Great to hear your progress JP! Well done - further trips out skirted do become easier as you realise that you do survive the episode unscathed! And that nothing happens.

A utilitikilt is a good addition to your wardrobe. That is a man-skirt and is sold as such. These can be purchased from e-bay shops for around £40 or cheaper. Today for instance I was at my bridge group wearing one, had lunch at a local cafe then I took a bus into town and did a bit of shopping for holiday clothing (including get a new skirt from Primark - which was too small and will need to be exchanged) along the busiest main street in Edinburgh (Princes St) and took the bus home. All in all some 7 hours skirted with no comments or looks at all.

Ross
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
JoePublic

Post by JoePublic »

Thanks for the info. I have just ordered a utility kilt, plus some kilt socks to go with my DM boots, another denim skirt, and a leather skirt which looked nice. ebay is too addictive :roll:
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Welcome to the Cafe! I live near London and am up in town quite a lot (not skirted though, occasionally a kilt though).

It would be great if those of us that live in the area could meet up for a chat.
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews