Grocery Shopping

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
jjjjohanne

Grocery Shopping

Post by jjjjohanne »

I went grocery shopping in a skirt! I wore a black, knee-length business skirt with a red top. I had on off-black pantyhose and flats. Everyone treated me with respect (at least when I was present). I shopped on every aisle and bought my family's groceries. It was an excellent outing! I often saw the same few people aisle after aisle as we shopped together. I found what I needed and checked out. No one mentioned my outfit. I saw a few people take their glance down and up. But that is the extent of it. I did this in a small town, out in the country. This community, I believe, is rather conservatively minded. No issues skirting around them, however. It was a very nice day!

https://joeypress.files.wordpress.com/2 ... .jpg?w=497
Last edited by jjjjohanne on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
BorderXing

Re: Grocery Shopping

Post by BorderXing »

Sounds like a great outing and an understanding community. There is hope for this world.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

This, believe it or not (although I hope you do) is typical.

The problem is usually what you think others will think, and not what the actually think.

Which, for the most part, is that they basically don't give a damn.

Look around. People wear unusual clothing all the time. It's normal. Have fun with it.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

You look great!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

So you're the Joey press guy. I've got your web page bookmarked and look at it often.
Your look is good. Congrats.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
robert
Distinguished Member

Post by robert »

It’s so great to have you here on skirt café Jjjjohanne. I have been reading your blog for a long time. The blog and all your stories have been an inspiration for me, and I’m shore also for many other. Thank you for that. Please keep writing your stories.

I often do our grocery shopping in a skirt or a dress. It feels so natural go around getting my things from the list that my wife and I have written. I only go skirted when I am alone. When out shopping I really don’t care who sees me even if it is young or old people, kids, men or women. I just go around doing what everyone else in the shop is doing. It is so seldom I see any other reactions than the double looks. To be honest, I have to admit I do some extra looking when I see a man in a skirt too. That is maybe something else.
BorderXing

Post by BorderXing »

Caultron wrote: The problem is usually what you think others will think, and not what the actually think.
I have no problem interacting with strangers. I have had some unpleasant comments made to me but that has never really bothered me. I know who I am. I have challenges being out in skirts in my local community where lots of people know my wife and children. I ran into some neighbors on their mountain bikes while hiking in skirt about a month ago. No fallout yet. I almost ran into a friend of my wife's about 2 months ago in a grocery store while wearing a skirt. I'm reassessing my needs vs the rest of the family. Hmmm, it's complicated.
jjjjohanne

Post by jjjjohanne »

Wow, it is kind of cool to to hear you guys saying you have heard of me!
I started that blog just to record my stories so that I can go back and read them myself. I am not a blogger. I just record my stories when I have something to write down.
I have tried to resist the temptation to promote my blog when I post here or elsewhere. The only reason to promote it would be to see a neater bar graph. I choose not to do that.

Joey
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Hello Joey, You looked good in your photo. The skirt is definitely flattering, or as the manager of one of my favorite resale shops would put it, "It gives you some bootie action." Well done. I suggest you consider some Naturalizer heels.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
jjjjohanne

Post by jjjjohanne »

What?!? I cannot go do my grocery shopping in heels! That would be unusual!

:)

Thank you for the compliments.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Joe I just looked at the photo Please take this as a compliment . It doesn't look unusual or out of place.

One thing for sure you look a whole lot better than what's s at the end of the aisle . could use some more pictures on the cafe.

I agree with Dave a small heel would enhance the look
robert
Distinguished Member

Post by robert »

Joe, of course you can wear heels while doing grocery shopping. I see a lot of women wearing heels in the grocery store all the time.

I was thinking of skirtcafe today as I was out doing some shopping for groceries for the weekend. The shop is a 10 minutes drive from where we live. I was alone so I wore an A-line knee length denim skirt with tights, grey jacket and a brown leather purse. The snow has been melting from the pavements so I choose to wear my black high heel ankle boots. They make a lot of sound when I walk. Today it was a busy day in the store, and I spend about 45 minutes to get everything I needed. I only had some small talk with a grown woman as I was waiting in line for delivering empty cans. That was the only interaction I had with anybody. I didn’t even see anybody do any double looks. No laughing as has been a theme in another tread. It felt so nice getting everything I had planned. It was just a short outing, and I felt sad when I had to change my clothes before I parked the car outside our house. Anyway, it was a great outing.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

jjjjohanne wrote:What?!? I cannot go do my grocery shopping in heels! That would be unusual!

:)

Thank you for the compliments.
Wouldn't want to be unusual, eh? Especially not in a skirt and hose!

(calms down) Seriously, do you ever wear heels?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Just out of curiosity, jjjjjohanne, why do you blur out your face in photos after appearing bare-faced in public?

Like, how can you appear in public if you don't want anybody to know?

caultron
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Caultron wrote:Just out of curiosity, jjjjjohanne, why do you blur out your face in photos after appearing bare-faced in public?

Like, how can you appear in public if you don't want anybody to know?
having read some of the blog, I think there may be concerns about work colleagues as there are frequent skirted shopping trips during lunchtimes. It can be annoying changing out of trousers into a skirt, let alone having somewhere to keep my clothes. I'd take advantage of a dress down Friday to come out to my work colleagues - I'm sure some of them already know :roll: