hold up stockings

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Karl

hold up stockings

Post by Karl »

A little advise needed here
One day last week i was wearing my new denim skirt (knee length) with hold up stockings and a pair of 2" kitten heel pointed shoes all day long and my wife suggested going out for a walk that evening (i wanted to be in public in daylight but time went on and it was dark by the time we got to where we wanted to be) i had no problems at all in home all day my hold ups stayed up great :D it was a very cold day i'd say only 1c or 2c but as i got out of the car to walk through a village to a shop to buy some goods my hold ups instantly fell down so lifting my skirt to pull them up again then continue they fell down to my knees within 10 seconds
WHY !!!!!!!
was it because of the cold temp outside
need some advise on this before i wear hold ups out and about again
the other solution would be to wear suspenders as well but i can wear normal stockings in that case
any ideas
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Re: hold up stockings

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Suggestion: Wear pantyhose.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The only reason I have had hold ups fail is when the elastic band at the top has broken. This hasn't happened very often but if so I have just added them to the pile of stockings. Never had a problem with temperature.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

For me, hold-ups have been from the first try a total no-no. Irrespective of make they always sag and are therefore unsatisfactory and uncomfortable. for skirting in lower temps. I'm a tights person. They stay where they are put & don't sag.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I've got a pair of "stick-ups" which have a band of non-slip silicone around the inside of the upper cuff, and whilst they do work on my geometry they tend to feel a bit "insecure". True "hold-ups" (worn with suspenders) likely would not have this problem, but I do say there is a rather large amount of visual "kink" going on before the skirt (or underskirt(s)) go on.

I'm mostly a wearer of tights (be they opaque or sheer), knee-highs during the summer when my skirts are long enough to get away with that, or "footie socks" which don't show above the shoe. It's the utilitarian in me.

One large virtue of thigh-length stuff is that they make bio-breaks a breeze.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

Based on the conditions you listed Karl I would suspect that the type of Hold-ups you were wearing were of the silicon band type and the top had stretched out during the day of wear. When the Cold air got to them the silicon stiffened up and thus loosened its grip on your skin resulting in them falling and no long staying up. Two suggestions to prevent that from happening again, 1st. Put on a fresh pair just before going out so that the band has not stretched out and will grip the skin better when exposed to the cold air or put on a garter/suspender belt before going out, or 2nd. put on a pair of pantyhose before going out with out without the holdups underneath.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Similar situations can be found wearing the kilt - the calf high cable knit sox worn without flashes will not hold up to muster.
Therefore the solution is to wear at least the elastic band with or without the flashes.
Perhaps there might be the making of a solution to this problem wearing a very thin elastic band adding lacy effect optional.
Yes pretty much the same thing as a garter band - wear a contrasting color if you dare !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Reaper_Man
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Reaper_Man »

I have the same problem with hold ups, i've tried a few different types/brands but they always slide down very quickly, i think it's because the tops of my legs are quite chunky and thus produce a taper effect, once the hold ups start moving downwards they slide down very quickly because of the taper of my legs ... now i just wear tights, it's less bother
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I think you're leaving out another possibility, that in cold weather your
skin has a tendency to shrink, to keep the warmth inside the body.
With this shrinkage, the hose is not as tight as when you put them on,
on warm legs. I've noticed this with my over-the-calf support hose.
My tight compression P-hose wants to creep down in colder weather too.
(Just wish my waistline would shrink as well ;) )

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Uncle Al wrote:I think you're leaving out another possibility, that in cold weather your
skin has a tendency to shrink, to keep the warmth inside the body.
With this shrinkage, the hose is not as tight as when you put them on,
on warm legs. I've noticed this with my over-the-calf support hose.
My tight compression P-hose wants to creep down in colder weather too.
(Just wish my waistline would shrink as well ;) )

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
The dermatologist I go to has a procedure to shrink body fat - called "Cool Sculpting".
What it does is the opposite of a heating pad using a freezing pad placed over the
6 pak (No I mean 8-10 pack area of the anatomy - LOL) and the freeze machine cools
the area down so that the body kicks into high gear generating heat thus burning calories
in massive doses causing the reduction in body shape. Reports are that it is not as
damaging as lipo-suction and requires no surgical incision. Cost I did not ask !
No matter what insurance plan one has it is never enough to cover the results.

Back to falling under-unmentionable and all that sort of stuff - Yes when things get cold
and contract and shrink hold-ups and the alike are just not up to the job even the high
waist hosiery. Maybe that is why there isn't any tartans from the Artic or Antarctic and
unbifurcated is not in vogue - it is just not cool to wear hold-ups even thermal ones ! LOL !

And another thing wearing tourniquets to keep things up won't cut it either well maybe
it would solve the problem of future considerations of wearing the hold-ups.

Idea !
You could paint them or tattoo the hold-ups but the lacy frilly one may leave much to be desired !

Before closing I'll have a double shot of warming fortitude and I don't care if me sox are falling down !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I've not had that problem with the ones I use, but I got lucky finding a batch of these, and I think an equivalent would probably run me about $30. The name is Sarah Gorbhi, but I have no idea where to find more. They're fairly heavy material, I'd guess 80+ denier. very stretchy, most brands I'd have to go to size 4 or 5, but with these, the 4s are very nice, and even the 3s are pretty good. Some of it may be down to your particular anatomy, my legs are long, but with a fairly smooth curve at the top, and the place where they grip is about 23 " around, at about 26"-27" up. I have tried Hue stuff, and if they did something similar I'd expect them to work as well, also DIM. I will be buying some Oroblu as I have a good feeling about them. I'd like to try Wolford, but the price!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

I have tried the HUE line and the Queen (Plus) sizing leaves a lot to be desired - not enough length to stretch and hold at the waist - usually like low rise
only meeting the hips and a soon to be canyon (crack) between the legs (must be made by short legged people in China - ya the same ones that make the
shorter than short sleeve blouses and shirts).

As for the Wolford only comes out once a year for the Easter Sunday morning services - way too expensive to chance casual wear and an accidental snag -
or put another way certainly NOT Suitable wear for tossing the caber at an Scottish/Irish Renaissance Festival !

Strange when you turn over the PH package to see the sizing - there are these graphic design areas A_B_C_D_E with weights and in the boxes height factors.
You slide your mouse or finger along till you meet the intersection that coincides with your stats - well toss that asunder and go to the next increment of
magnitude - whoops you are off the chart already - but I would not recommend going back to square one ! I know when they are telling me that I am not
suitable to wear their product - and Omar the tent maker is not an economical option to consider !
Maybe I should be going to a body painting shop where one size fits ALL on the original canvas I may add !

Maybe I best consider wearing chain-mail and not sweat the small snags from the claymores and slings and arrows of outrageous fashion !

My que sera sera fighting windmills mission is to find PH that actually FITS ! And stays fitting for the duration of wear !

In the meantime back at the ranch it's back to wearing tights that do fit and chance finding of leggings !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

r.m.anderson wrote:My que sera sera fighting windmills mission is to find PH that actually FITS ! And stays fitting for the duration of wear !
I've had very good results from the Berkshire brand of pantyhose. I'm a big guy at 6' and 265 lbs, Their size 5x-6x and 7x ones fit me well and even stay up above my pot belly. http://www.essentialapparel.com/b/berkshire
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

r.m.anderson wrote:My que sera sera fighting windmills mission is to find PH that actually FITS ! And stays fitting for the duration of wear !
I might suggest that you might want to look at a line called ActivSkin. They are hosiery that is designed specifically to fit the male frame and they are very good quality versus the price. I have dealt with the owner for many years and they do have a good product line. Specifically you may want to look at this page, http://www.glieberman.com/stockings/ , unfortunate the Thigh Highs/Hold Ups are currently out of stock as they have had some supplier issues but most of the rest of the line is available for purchase.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I was talking specifically about hold ups, otherwise known as "stay-ups" or "thigh highs"

I haven't tried ones specifically designed for men, but women's pantyhose or tights generally don't work for me.