Foot wear suggestion

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Foot wear suggestion

Post by photoguy207 »

In a few weeks I will be out of town and plan on spending a lot of time skirted.

I have a few skirts that I plan on wearing out for dinner etc.

Especially:
http://skhoopoutlet.us/products/randy-k ... 7399295937

And both black and khaki from skirt craft :
https://skirtcraft.com/

And possibly, depending on the weather:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/92700?fe ... argo-skirt
Or
https://www.google.com/search?q=merrell ... Y7odvgM%3A

What should I be wearing on my feet? It must be a male shoe or boot. Nothing feminine.

Tights, no tights??

Suggestions??? Thank You!!!

P.s. I have worn skirts in public before, but pretty much disguised them with a shirt tied around my waist since they looked like shorts or cargo shorts, I just had on sneakers.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Foot wear suggestion

Post by Caultron »

photoguy207 wrote:...What should I be wearing on my feet?...
Climate permitting, sandals always go well with a skirt.

I'm not really into combat boots, galoshes, calf-length, or knee-length socks, but some guys are.

In any event, go thin and lightweight, not thick and wide.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

Although there is nothing to stop you or anybody else from looking across the aisle for footwear to go with those skirts, it is, of course, your choice and prerogative to stick to "male" styles.

It seems that that these styles would work quite well as follows:
If the skirt is black, then most men's boots, such as a "Chelsea" boot, Dr Martens, or a work/hiking boot should work; the Chelsea boot is likely the most "formal".
And both black and khaki from skirt craft :
https://skirtcraft.com/
Again, boots would work, but depending upon the formality of the situation, perhaps also consider something like Converse Allstars Hi Tops, classic Vans skate shoes, or similar; there's wide options on colours; or maybe deck/boat shoes?
And possibly, depending on the weather:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/92700?fe ... argo-skirt
Unfortunately, the link doesn't seem to work.
Possibly steer away from boots for this one, so more towards the deck/boat or skate types of shoe.
What should I be wearing on my feet? It must be a male shoe or boot. Nothing feminine.
Now, depending upon the actual style, and your size, an equestrian "riding" boot style (many knee boots are just that) or a "biker" boot might also work. You'll have to experiment here and as it likely does involve going across the aisle to get reasonably priced items for experimentation (the genuine men's equestrian boots are expensive) possible not for now.
Tights, no tights??
These are really a matter of personal choice, although weather and warmth might have some bearing on the decision. If you choose to do so, then consider flesh colour will be mostly unobtrusive, otherwise try to match the colour to the shoes or the skirt; if shoes and skirt are the same colour, then a bold contrast might work (you get to choose some colour!)
Suggestions??? Thank You!!!
That's all these are; nothing prescriptive or proscriptive, just options that you might consider. Of course, other than the links to the skirts and your "nothing feminine" stipulation, I have little point of reference for your personal style. Your budget might also be a factor.
P.s. I have worn skirts in public before, but pretty much disguised them with a shirt tied around my waist since they looked like shorts or cargo shorts, I just had on sneakers.
If sneakers work, they are an option, too. As many attest here, there's no need to hide; be bold and confident in your style. And good luck.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

I've been wearing an all-black Brooks "Addiction Walker" for years in "business casual" which is (I'm an IT guy) basically the "Gibbs look" from NCIS. Pretty much wear the same thing, just trade out the trousers for a skirt (generally knee-length, and black and a few white, khaki, blue ones). I've got a pair of inside-zip ankle boots I really like, but I need to find a half-size smaller and perhaps reduce the heel from 1.75" to .85" or something (it all depends on the fit of the shoe and whether I can walk in it for very long). But I'd say just wear whatever you normally wear, as adjusted for the occasion and what you will be doing.

Ask mother, sister, wife, brother, close friends that you're comfortable with for good combinations as they know you and your style and possibly have an idea of what you will be doing and the environment you'll be doing it in on your trip. A "skirt-suit" look may be good if you have a shortish jacket/blazer that matches, dress shirt and maybe a tie or a turtle-neck or....?

If you take after your mom or sister(s) (if any) what do they wear and can you approximate it and still be comfortable?

I've worn (at doctor's advice) support hose since 2007. Beige, nude, suntan, black, blue, green, red, white. I consider the last four to be "special occasion" colors that go with limited outfits and venues. But that's me. With cold weather I add tights, leggings, fleece-lined tights, fleece-lined leggings as appropriate to the temperature. This is my 3rd wintering in skirts.

I also have been known to wear leggings that have a sort of shiny "leather pants" look to them. You may not like that. Or you may.

Give yourself plenty of time to change your mind. I've found it is very easy to understand why the ladies take as long as they do getting dressed. :D
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I have some black calf-high Doc Martins, but don't wear them often. They take forever to lace, lol. I think I will change that for my next outing and give them another go.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
DonP

Post by DonP »

Sandals are good. I like to wear boots with tall socks or hiking shoes or sneakers with short socks.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

On the outside of a large footware warehouse store in Germany was the slogan; 'Barfuss ist billiger', which translates: Barefoot is cheaper!

I well remember in the '40s in my home village seeing lots of country schoolchildren arrive barefoot daily to school. These children would have walked miles in some instances to get there. That was then, this is now.

I'm a sandals and slip-ons type myself for leisure activities which is the only time I would consider skirting. As my skirts seldom reach beyond the knees, a pair of inner zip-closure knee-highs (I hate tall lace-ups) would be a desireable option, not high heeled, but I haven't ventured down that route ....Yet!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Kirbstone wrote:As my skirts seldom reach beyond the knees, a pair of inner zip-closure knee-highs (I hate tall lace-ups) would be a desireable option, not high heeled, but I haven't ventured down that route ....Yet!

Tom
I'd say, find a pair in a style you like and take the plunge. Depending upon colour black/brown/tan, you can easily wear them with (the dreaded) trousers; they are virtually unnoticeable. I do!

There are low (ankle) zip up men's boots so, unless the trousers fly at half mast (think Michael Jackson) they'll be mostly hidden and might pass as a Chelsea boot until you're comfortable. Then again, you might have taken up riding! :D
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

D,C.,

As it happens, I do wear almost knee-highs for rough-weather sailing, but they are miles away from street friendly in that they are just rather fancy wellie-type waterproof jobs. A pair of leather zip-ups would appeal and as you say, could be worn with trews &c as well.

As a boy of 14, visiting an uncle's horse racing stables, a stable hand invited me to sit up on a champion steeplechaser, just in from being exercised by a professional jockey and the saddle & stirrups were still on him. An injudicious stroke on his rear quarter by that hand sent my mount off like a rocket once again with me on board! I had observed racing jockeys holding tight reins and with the backside high on near-straight legs making the body horizontal and allowing the horse total freedom to gallop. I got very quickly into this position and observed one stone wall fly by underneath and after another few strides, another stone wall sped beneath.

Fortunately the animal came to a halt on his own in paddock No three, as he was tired out and my Aunt plus that hand had come running and took the horse by the bridle, so I didn't fall off, but he was the equestrian equivalent of a Grand Prix Car. I've never been up on a horse since!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Kirbstone wrote:D,C.,

As it happens, I do wear almost knee-highs for rough-weather sailing, but they are miles away from street friendly in that they are just rather fancy wellie-type waterproof jobs. A pair of leather zip-ups would appeal and as you say, could be worn with trews &c as well.

As a boy of 14, visiting an uncle's horse racing stables, a stable hand invited me to sit up on a champion steeplechaser, just in from being exercised by a professional jockey and the saddle & stirrups were still on him. An injudicious stroke on his rear quarter by that hand sent my mount off like a rocket once again with me on board! I had observed racing jockeys holding tight reins and with the backside high on near-straight legs making the body horizontal and allowing the horse total freedom to gallop. I got very quickly into this position and observed one stone wall fly by underneath and after another few strides, another stone wall sped beneath.

Fortunately the animal came to a halt on his own in paddock No three, as he was tired out and my Aunt plus that hand had come running and took the horse by the bridle, so I didn't fall off, but he was the equestrian equivalent of a Grand Prix Car. I've never been up on a horse since!

Tom
That'd scare the bejesus out of anybody; but I didn't say you actually had to take up riding, just use it as the excuse if one's needed :wink:
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

Here is Skhoop skirt with tights and boots from Merrell.
IMG_4170-c.JPG
IMG_4178.JPG
IMG_4182.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GarethJW

Post by GarethJW »

not much of a boot guy myself. I wear leather sandals or hiking sandals, i tend to wear denim or cargo skirts though. So anything formal might require different footwear
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Not bad. I'd consider replacing the boot laces with something that more closely matches the boot.

As an example:

Carhartt tee over a Torrid LBD, vertically checkered OTK socks from Dream Stockings cuffed into knee-highs (store brand for sockdreams.com), and my 6 year old Asolo backpacking boots, which are pretty much the same color leather as your Merrell boots. Laces are the 72" long variety, sourced from REI. As you can see, it's a little less jarring than the bright blue laces that Merrell provided with your boots.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
DonP

Post by DonP »

I'very tried to take my cues from women. They've been wearing skirts for a long time and seem to have a good feel for what's appropriate. I WON'T ever wear women's shoes, but what I've noticed is that most any style of footwear works in the right situation. I wear hiking shoes mostly, sometimes hiking boots or motorcycle boots. And in the summer I frequently wear sandals. Of course, I only wear kilts and I try very hard to look like a man in a skirt and not give anyone the impression that I am trying to dress like a woman.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I did that for my first couple of years until it became monotonous. Now I wear more variety but by all means, proceed at your own pace.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron