Phones

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Phones

Post by Gregg1100 »

One of my other hobbies is messing about with phones and tablets. I have two Galaxy S3's- Gt i9300 International version. Both rooted, one with Android Marshmallow 6.0.1 and yippee, the other other one is running Nougat 7.1.1 quite happily. Samsung gave up on these phones at 4.3 because they reckoned anything higher would not run properly. It was only the stupid amount of bloatware that they pre loaded on the phone which would have naffed them up.
I have two tablets- both Android ( wouldn't have apple, can't do naff all with them, apart from jailbreak, and that is not as easy as rooting and romming )---a Tab 2, 7", ---one rooted with Marshmallow 6.0.1, the other a Tab 4, is looking a likely candidate for upgrading.
The bikes can stay in freezing cold shed for a while longer. :-)
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Phones

Post by Big and Bashful »

Don't know what you mean about not being able to do anything with Apple products, with my iPhone and iPad I tune my guitar, navigate my boat, identify tunes, play music, navigate my car, find it in parking lots, wake myself up, skype, farcebook, shop, email, message, check the weather, even make phone calls. They do all of these things and many more, very reliably. OK you have the Apple IOS interface which is less flexible than Android, however, it works so well I don't understand why you aren't happy with the way it works.
I have had an Android, until it got bent in a pocket. I liked the phone, I liked quite a lot of what the Android interface gave me, it worked nearly as well as IOS and had a couple of nice features, it wasn't better, just a bit different. I hated they way you had to jump through several steps to sync with your PC, there was nothing as effective as iTunes, which may have it's problems but has been my choice since 2005 for music management (First iPod purchase) and with 22500 tunes and a huge amount of video to administer I will not be moving away from iTunes.

I like fiddling with Tech, convince me that jailbreaking one of my phones will give me something I haven't already got and I might even try it out on a spare iPhone, I am curious as to what it will bring me and am lucky enough to have a phone spare (It's locked to a network in the UK (EE), I have yet to find anywhere with useable EE coverage but am stuck with the phone until the contract ends, seems like a good time to experiment with it! I'm not too old to learn!

Yet!

Or am I?
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

I had an iphone 4 when it came out- reliable phone, but totally boring. Apple have locked their OS down hard, so you can't customise YOUR property the way YOU want. I have a Note 4- first thing I did with it when I first had it was install Nova Launcher. Apart from the normal customisation offered by Samsung, Nova opened up another world for you to chop/change until you get one very personalised phone. When you get fed up with how it looks, change it again.
Nothing easier than drag and drop from a pc or lappie to phone. When I had the iphone, I thought itunes was a pile of poo. It may be better now, but I doubt it on hearing others views on it. Not that much free or cheap in app store either. Apple grabbing as much money as they can- greedy gits.
The only thing in apples favour for me, is the updates. Android is very slow, with so many manufacturers who want to put their UI changes on, and carriers wanting to daub their UI stuff on too. The wife has a Moto G4- 2016, which come as stock with nigh on pure Android. You can get ios 10+ to go on most apple stuff, back to 5 or 5S - at same time. I don't know if 3Gs would accept ios 10 if jailbroken- not heard if that is so.
There is a wealth of developers out there for Android- getting the latest OS on a four year + old phone is not only good fun to do, but it gives a perfectly good phone another lease of life. Whereas an iphone 4 or 4S now becomes a paperweight, especially as the battery is sealed in and likely to be knackered after 4 years use. Plenty of Youtube vids about changing iphone 4, 4S batteries, but few people will attempt it.
The S3, S4, S5 and Note range all had removable batteries- go from flat to 100% in under 30 seconds- the time it takes for shutdown, change battery and restart.
When the Note 4 is out of contract next month, I may root and put Android N on it and get rid of any Samsung bloat. Just like Stocks and one or two others(from memory) on the iphones, lol.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

You make some good points there, I understand what you means about customisation, however I happen to think that Apple have got IOS about right and there is nothing I want to change on it. It works and works well.
ITunes, I have had problems, I used to like how Media player would check the folders in the library and update it's listings of music, whereas iTunes doesn't keep track of music if it gets moved. These days however I get so annoyed by various indexing services stealing my computer time to update themselves, I now prefer ITunes method, now that I have stopped other software from moving my music and it is years since I have had a problem with ITunes which looks after about 240 GB of music, video and apps.
One thing I like a about the Apple world is that an app I bought for my first iPhone is still there, automatically installed on every iphone and ipad I have owned, I buy a navigation app, there it is on everything from an old iPhone 4 (If I want) it is on my 6+ and it is also on my iPad pro big thing. no re-buying. Switching to android was expensive as I had to buy a fresh set of apps. Prices were about the same but there seemed to be more choice on IOS.
I haven't got a problem with fixed batteries, my 2005 iPod still gives me over a day of use, my iPhone 4 was still giving me over a day of use on a charge when the home button packed in. I was very impressed with the back up service from Apple, I took the broken phone to an Apple store Even though the iPhone 4 was well obsolete, they took the old phone and sold me a brand new iPhone 4 for half the retail price. I hadn't bought the phone from Apple, it came from Vodafone.
I currently get between 2 and 3 days on a charge with my IPhone 6+, with bluetooth enabled, can't grumble!
I will never buy an iPhone 7, or any other phone I can't plug into an amp, not every music maker I own has bluetooth and I like headphones which don't need to be charged, so a little plughole is important to me!
As I currently have two 160GB iPod classics, one older 60 GB iPod, two iPhone 6+ and the big iPad pro I think I am stuck with Apple for a while yet!
I think I might root or jailbreak one of the iPhones, to see what happens and what it adds, as long as there is a way to restore it.

Final thought, Much as I like the iPad pro, I like the idea of the Microshaft Surface, looks like a good blend of tablet and laptop, although with the clamp on case/keyboard my iPad does a pretty good laptop impression.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Can't comment on these things, but from what you write, B&B all you have to do is relax in the cockpit with your G&T and your I-phone 7 will drive your 'wee boat' over to Bushmills & back this coming Summer.

I just read an interesting article in Sailing Today (I think) by a guy who describes 'his' ideal approach to the Clyde, starting in Ballycastle at low tide and using all the favourable currents to help speed him Eastwards. This presupposes of course that he managed the Westward journey first, as he was a Brit.

I've arranged a four-day canoe trip down the Bann to Coleraine and for that we won't be using I-pads, paddles instead!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Kirbstone wrote:Can't comment on these things, but from what you write, B&B all you have to do is relax in the cockpit with your G&T and your I-phone 7 will drive your 'wee boat' over to Bushmills & back this coming Summer.

I just read an interesting article in Sailing Today (I think) by a guy who describes 'his' ideal approach to the Clyde, starting in Ballycastle at low tide and using all the favourable currents to help speed him Eastwards. This presupposes of course that he managed the Westward journey first, as he was a Brit.

I've arranged a four-day canoe trip down the Bann to Coleraine and for that we won't be using I-pads, paddles instead!

Tom
Eh up Tom!
I don't see my plans for any more cruising happening, due to lack of money and working for a Government who no longer believe in paying their slaves anything resembling payrises, I will be selling the boat this Spring, as long as I can get the engine to start. This decision was also brought on because of knee related problems, if I move my left leg in the wrong direction it is remarkably painful, not good in a small wobbling boat in a seaway. I think I will have to stick to falling off motorbikes instead. I do miss being away on the boat, even in a storm I am more relaxed onboard, on the bike I find relaxing is hard to do, lots of power, too many dodgy road surfaces around here and too many bad drivers. It's great when you find a good road in good weather and can zip past other traffic instead of being stuck in queues but I didn't get enough of that last year. This year I will give it another go and see if I still want to bike after the year is done. Also you just can't ride motorbikes in skirts, that's just asking to have layers of leg removed if you come off!
Oh, Enjoy your sailing!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Ive got an older android phone; Motorola with the slide-out extra keyboard. I love that feature, as my fingers are quite large and I don't want an encyclopedia-sized phone just to be able to efficiently use a touch screen keypad. The model is no longer made, so I am not sure how far I can go with this phone and upgrades. Another plus is that it also fits well in my pocket and in the pouches of my shoulder bags, unlike my wife's enormous iPhone, which seems to be a very problematic device...something is always messing up in it. The phone also holds a charge well and has been very reliable, if not totally user-friendly.

But have my eye on a Kyocera phone that is the most physically durable phone Ive ever seen. My plumber introduced it to me. They throw it against the wall in the demos with no screen or internal damage, and it's submersible to like 50 feet. Having lost a phone which fell from my dashboard directly into a cup of iced tea (*plunk* - oh s--t!!) the waterproof feature is a big plus. I lost my entire phone list in that accident because we didn't have a sync feature with the PCs, which were being changed out at that time, as we do now. I had several IT people work on that damaged phone but the data was not salvageable, despite my attempts to dry it out quickly.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Modern phones are a mystery to me. I know enough to make a call and send a text message. I have a Samsung thingy that runs some OS or other. It's a hand-me-down from MOH who has a hand-me-down from my daughter and we now both have the same model. I have no apps on it and it's used for texting MOH and for emergencies. I have an old tariff that acts as a PAYG so no monthly charges but any accrued costs appear on the monthly bill of MOH's phone. I know that this tariff was obsoleted 10 or 12 years ago. If I have a problem with the phone I ask my grand-daughters about it. I am definitely in the equivalent prehistoric era for phones these days. But then I want a phone to communicate in a simplistic way and not be the equivalent of Deep Thought in my pocket. Bah, humbug. 8)
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Luddite here: the only phone I have sits on the end table and has two cord coming out of it. One goes to the wall wort that powers it, the other to the VOIP port on my fiber interface box. I'm not a total luddite. :lol:
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

dillon wrote:Ive got an older android phone; Motorola with the slide-out extra keyboard. I love that feature, as my fingers are quite large and I don't want an encyclopedia-sized phone just to be able to efficiently use a touch screen keypad. The model is no longer made, so I am not sure how far I can go with this phone and upgrades. Another plus is that it also fits well in my pocket and in the pouches of my shoulder bags, unlike my wife's enormous iPhone, which seems to be a very problematic device...something is always messing up in it. The phone also holds a charge well and has been very reliable, if not totally user-friendly.

But have my eye on a Kyocera phone that is the most physically durable phone Ive ever seen. My plumber introduced it to me. They throw it against the wall in the demos with no screen or internal damage, and it's submersible to like 50 feet. Having lost a phone which fell from my dashboard directly into a cup of iced tea (*plunk* - oh s--t!!) the waterproof feature is a big plus. I lost my entire phone list in that accident because we didn't have a sync feature with the PCs, which were being changed out at that time, as we do now. I had several IT people work on that damaged phone but the data was not salvageable, despite my attempts to dry it out quickly.
I have found iPhones to be very reliable, less trouble prone than the android I tried. Only problems I have had was a button failure, could happen to any over-used phone. That was the last failure, the first failure wasn't really the phone's fault, it couldn't really help being in my pocket when I fell off my boat into tidal salt water, that didn't help it at all!
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi B & B,
In case you were wondering, I am not one of those " my phone is better than your phone", wallahs, lol
I have had iphone 4, as said- but would not have any other apple product for the main reason is that the ecosystem is locked down tight- no customization. Plus I hate itunes and the expensive apps.
The iphone 4 worked ok for 27 months, then I got my Galaxy S3. A whole new world opened up then. My phone looked like NO other galaxy s3, especially after I installed Nova Launcher- another level of customisation again. All iphones look the same. That's why I said they were boring. Not because they work better or worse than android.
Apple + no customisation + no expansion card + no wireless charging + fast charging = no easy drag and drop file transfer + a few other things I can't think of at the mo = no thanks. lol. :mrgreen:
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

B&B,
Sad to hear your news about your knee and your decision to sell the boat.

A close rowing friend, 6'5" and with enough medals to form body armour, chose to commute by bike daily for speed and economy, but alas suffered an accident which nearly lost him his right leg and left him with a right arm permanently bent right angles at the destroyed elbow. To get a pint to his mouth he has to use his left hand.

I forbade all four of my offsprings to indulge in motorbikes. 4-wheeled Metal crumples better. I also forbade both my boys to play Rugby, thus eliminating two very frequent sources of serious injury.

Knees can be treated and some are very successful indeed. An old Aussie rowing friend visited Ireland in 2015 and one day we climbed the steps to the top of the Skellig (700ft). He did it despite a knee he had sustained doing something else. He has since had some job or other done to it (not replacement) and latest reports are that he is back doing galley slaving in a boat on the Yarra (Melbourne)

Since 2012 I have been yotless, in that I was bought out of the Moody 40 I had shared with others since '03, so all my sailing, apart from dinghy-ing round our bay in Kerry, has been by invitation and I get more of those than I can avail of, so the sale of a boat isn't the End of the World.

Tom
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

I still ride motorcycles, but certainly agree that you are very very vulnerable on two wheels. A part of which is certain car drivers seem intent on taking bikers out- usually driving certain German makes of car- no names, but starting with V, A, M B and BM. :mrgreen:
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Gregg,

It's not the cars. It's the drivers. A Kalashnikov won't do any harm except in the hands of a killer. I've been driving MBs for more than 20 years now and my injured biker count remains at Zero. Long may it stay there.

Tom
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Gregg1100 wrote:Hi B & B,
In case you were wondering, I am not one of those " my phone is better than your phone", wallahs, lol
I have had iphone 4, as said- but would not have any other apple product for the main reason is that the ecosystem is locked down tight- no customization. Plus I hate itunes and the expensive apps.
The iphone 4 worked ok for 27 months, then I got my Galaxy S3. A whole new world opened up then. My phone looked like NO other galaxy s3, especially after I installed Nova Launcher- another level of customisation again. All iphones look the same. That's why I said they were boring. Not because they work better or worse than android.
Apple + no customisation + no expansion card + no wireless charging + fast charging = no easy drag and drop file transfer + a few other things I can't think of at the mo = no thanks. lol. :mrgreen:
Ah! some good points there, Customisation, not interested, it works well, don't see the need to change it. However, expansion cards, true, however 128 gig is enough for me (Well, within reason, if I didn't have my iPods I would want more). Wireless charging, I have wires, they work, but I liked the magnetic charging lead on the Sony. Drag and drop file transfer, YES, that is a pain. Moving files on and off and having them useable is a pain on the iPhone, not impossible but certainly not easy. Dropbox helps but things could be easier. Fast charging, it would be nice but hurts the batteries, that is just the science of lithium batteries, although that would be less of a pain if battery replacement was easy.
End of the day, if Apple stick with the no hole to plug headphones and leads into, I won't be buying another, just keeping what I have then having to make the big leap once I can't keep them going any longer.