Slow progression

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Slow progression

Post by Caultron »

Blackpassage wrote:Thanks guys, the solution is likely in both those suggestions. It means everything to me to get this right. Already yesterday, my wife mentioned my skirt affinity to a friend of hers. Apparently, this friends husband is into it as well. Go figure. There must be an awefull lot of guys out there thinking about this if I can stumble on another so quickly. It's like there's a deep reservoir of wishful thinking out there, and we're chipping away at the base of the wall. At any rate, if I don't hear from you before tomorrow, have a great Christmas.
I'd love for there to be a large army of men out there all on hair trigger to start wearing skirts. But more likely you just got incredibly lucky.

Any more information on this? Like, do you know what your wife's friend's husband is into? Just skirts, or full drag, or some other article of clothing? Does he go out or just dress at home? Do you know the guy personally or are the two wives just girl friends? Have their been any further developments?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Blackpassage wrote:Hey thanks for the support and encouragement! My wife is also becoming very supportive of me as well. In answer to your question, we went to a busy bottle depot, and mall for christmas shopping. Then, that evening, we went to see a movie. I was focusing hard on acting normal, and my wife was enjoying watching the reactions. And you are right, as the day progressed, I gradually became more relaxed. I wore a denim skirt and black tights..The skirt came to just above the knee.
What did your wife have to say about other people's reactions? Like, what were they? Did people give you no more than a passing glance and then rubbernecked once you were past? Or were the goings-on behind you no different from the ones before?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I work retail, sometimes I will catch a look, or looks, from customers, but rarely get comments. Maybe it's a Canadian politeness thing. When there are children from say 5-8 years old, I get a lot more looks, lots of puzzled frowns. Not sure if it's because they are lower down, and the skirt is more obvious, or just that they are less skilled or concerned with hiding expressions that can be considered rude. Maybe both. This last month I have definitely been ramping up the colour factor and noticeability, getting more looks and more compliments. I think it's partly to do with more people seeing the skirt, and partly that they feel more comfortable saying something as I'm obviously "dressing up" and thus more likely to welcome comments. Once, while walking through a mall, I heard a young boy behind me say something to his mother, I didn't catch or notice what he said, but I definitely heard his mother's reply. "No, that's not how it works, anybody can wear whatever they want" turned to walk backward a few steps and gave her big grin. :D

Anyway, back to the thread, on the subject of kids, sometimes when I catch a girl looking with a puzzled frown, I will sometimes pull out the edge of the skirt and say "Do you like it?" So far, I've always got an instant big grin and a happy nod. I think that most kids will just accept it and go on with life, if you make a big thing of it, they might take an attitude of this being something wrong.

Congratulations Blackpassage on the continuing pushing of boundaries. I have been fortunate in that I've so far had no significant negativity, but even so, there have been some crisis of nerve. If it happens, just step back for a moment, take a deep breath and then set forth again.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Blackpassage wrote:Already yesterday, my wife mentioned my skirt affinity to a friend of hers. Apparently, this friends husband is into it as well. Go figure. There must be an awefull lot of guys out there thinking about this if I can stumble on another so quickly. It's like there's a deep reservoir of wishful thinking out there, and we're chipping away at the base of the wall. At any rate, if I don't hear from you before tomorrow, have a great Christmas .

Cheers
Hasn't happened lately, but in the first few months, I had several conversations at work with ladies who said their husbands would wear skirts sometimes, usually around the house. Sometimes they would ask where I got a particular skirt as they thought it something their husbands would find easy to wear.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

What you should do is try to get to meet these husbands and get them on SK. Or at least get their wives to tell them about us here. It would be great for all of us and them.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Blackpassage

Post by Blackpassage »

You know, re. the" silent majority", I read a statistic somewhere that about one in thirty-five or so men have a desire to wear womens clothes. Be that as presenting as a women or not , I'm not sure. I started out by dressing once or twice as a women at Halloween, but it very quickly it evolved into creating my own style with it. I know I'm preaching to the choir when I say it was an epiphany for me when I realized that I could be both masculine and wear a skirt at the same time. It makes me wonder how many of those men out there have yet to make the connection.
Blackpassage

Post by Blackpassage »

I know that in that same artical, it was also stated how difficult it is to get accurate statistics on "crossdressers". There is such a stigma attached to showing any sort of femininity, perceived or otherwise. Men have become experts at hiding their true feelings on the matter, and likely as not answer truthfully if asked about it. Just holding their wives handbag for a moment, you'd think some guys had just been passed a live snake. It has taken me years to get this far. And, most of my most constructive learning has happened in the last couple of months....here.
Blackpassage

Post by Blackpassage »

Way back Caultron asked if I knew much about my wife's friends husband. ( Sorry it took awhile to respond) As I said before, he enjoys wearing his wife's dresses. Well, the other night we were all together for new year's. And, I was wondering if the conversation might be struck up. Armed as I was about his affinity, I simply watched and waited. Nothing about it was brought up. I didn't want to strike up the conversation and potentially embarrass him. This kinda ties into my last post in that, there's no way you could peg this guy for it. Couples talk, I'm sure she told him about me. I'm sure, one night over beers , this is all gonna come out. Can't wait.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Next time, you might think about asking an open-ended question like, "Did you ever wonder what it feels like to wear a skirt?"

Then, if he doesn't respond, continue with, "Because I've been trying it a few times lately."

Or, since your wife and her friends already know about it, and he's unlikely to object, just show up in a skirt next time.

caultron
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

When I started to wear skirts I was afraid that My friends would ridicule me if I showed up in a skirt. Then as I became more accustom to wearing my skirts I just started to show up wearing a skirt even if they had never seen me in a skirt or heard I was now a skirt wearer. Now I don't even have to think about it, I get up get dressed and go about my business as usual in a skirt. :lol: I wear skirts seven days a week and love them.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Blackpassage

Post by Blackpassage »

We all seem to experience very similar anxieties when we first get going. I'm still in that initial stage of laying the groundwork for everybody finding out. That is, letting it slip before they see me! I'm probably over analyzing the whole thing, but it's probably also helping my comfort level before I get to many face to face encounters with friends. Today I was in a thrift store with my wife, and we found a camoflouged colored skirt. Very cool! She really liked it. This and the fact that it is as conservative as it comes will help me wear it with some confidence until I'm ready for riskier outfits. Of course, many of you have already alluded to this strategy in getting one's feet wet! This forum is very much a blueprint for all of us! :)
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

Blackpassage wrote:We all seem to experience very similar anxieties when we first get going. I'm still in that initial stage of laying the groundwork for everybody finding out. That is, letting it slip before they see me! I'm probably over analyzing the whole thing, but it's probably also helping my comfort level before I get to many face to face encounters with friends. Today I was in a thrift store with my wife, and we found a camoflouged colored skirt. Very cool! She really liked it. This and the fact that it is as conservative as it comes will help me wear it with some confidence until I'm ready for riskier outfits. Of course, many of you have already alluded to this strategy in getting one's feet wet! This forum is very much a blueprint for all of us!:)
Having some support helps.
Detractors do affect us, but usually only if they are close associates or family.
Blackpassage

Post by Blackpassage »

Hey, as soon as I can figure out how to send pictures , I've got a couple for you guys to critique!
Blackpassage

Post by Blackpassage »

I'm an optimist, but I know there are some close family members that will never accept this. I suppose that I will just have to feel this one out. Brave words I know. Who knows, from my kids to my parents, at this point it seems a daunting sales job.
Blackpassage

Post by Blackpassage »

Well, long story short, around my kids it is now a non issue. I wore a sarong out for the day today. Neither of my kids batted an eye over it. The sarong is a dark olive green with some kind of dark pattern on it. Being a little cold I wore black tights under it with my runners. Black fleese jacket on top. We had a bunch of errands to do, so our destinations varied from auto parts to groceries. As usual, few people showed much interest. The best part of course, was that my kids took it in stride. My wife, always on the lookout for backglances, figured that this outfit generated less interest than others I have worn. All in all, a great family day out.