Skirtcraft Aqueous Skirt - Feedback?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirtcraft Aqueous Skirt - Feedback?

Post by Tackleberry »

I've got to admit I do like that!!!
I'd just want the zip at the front though...
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:Personally, I have very little problems working stuff behind my back, so the notion of a rear zip doesn't bother me one whit...
One of the great things about a skirt is that you can zip it up wherever you want and then just rotate it into position.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I really don't understand the objections.

The skirt didn't particularly appeal to me, but most of my skirts are rear zip for just the reason Carl gave and as Caultron pointed out, the easiest way to zip them up is zip them on the side and rotate around.

Exposed zippers have become a thing, but frankly I prefer the look of invisible zippers.

As far as acceptance of men in what are clearly skirts or dresses from the women's department, it's been a non-issue. Except I get a lot more compliments for my dresses than for my khakis. The dresses also initiate a lot more conversations.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
johnb
Member Extraordinaire

Post by johnb »

I've had a read through most of the comments, personally I don't have a problem with the zip at the rear so long as it is fairly well concealed and doesn't snag when its used. I think the spirals seams help give it a more interesting look, without it being too feminine. The skirt is knee length on the model, and that suits me. So overall if it does go into production I'd buy one, unless the the £ sinks a lot further against the $.

Picking up on one of Ian's comment regarding alternative designs Whilst I wouldn't rule out being interested in a longer version of original unaligned skirt, I do quite like his idea of a wrap around design with a flexible waist.

John
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

finrod wrote:

My thoughts on the curved seams:
  • They make the skirt unique. Products need to distinguish themselves from others in the market in order to succeed. In particular, with a tiny brand like Skirtcraft that's asking for pre-manufacturing crowdfunding (Kickstarter) support, people won't be as likely to back it if it just offers a slight variation on products already available for purchase from established brands, and for a lower price due to overseas mass production. Skirtcraft's three distinguishing factors among skirts in the market, in my mind: large pockets + belt loops, unisex sizing/marketing, and unique style.
  • c)
  • About it being easier for men to accept a more plain skirt before venturing into one like this with the unusual curved seams -- personally, I feel the opposite. For me, at least, when I wear a skirt with unusual features (like asymmetrical, angled, and/or curved seams), I imagine that it challenges people's assumptions about skirts even further than encountering a man in a skirt does generally. By looking different from other skirts they've seen, it gently prods the observer (I hope) to wondering if what they're seeing is not in fact a "women's" skirt, but might be a "men's" skirt or a unisex skirt. And thus implicitly introduces the idea that skirt-wearing by men isn't always intended as crossdressing. I want to say: I unequivocally support crossdressing, and want intolerance for crossdressing to be eliminated. But establishing that men's skirt-wearing is not necessarily crossdressing, I think, is essential to growing skirt-wearing by men as a phenomenon. And, I think that fear of being on the receiving end of stupid, hateful reactions to perceived crossdressing could be one of the central factors preventing many men from wearing skirts.
Regarding designs that are specifically intended as mens wear....
I think that the most likely candidates will be imported garments. Garments that are traditional mens wear in other countries. Which might help sell these garments to the public, the argument being that the designs are traditional mens wear in the countries of origin, therefore they must be mens wear.

You can still look at the old Bravehearts kilt forum. Which has a display of such traditional garments.

DIY projects are another possibility for mens wear.

Interesting idea, giving a unisex skirt a distinctive design. The Macabi skirt could be considered an example of this. Based on comments online, I think there is one area of over lap for men and women-a desire for excellent pockets.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I just had a thought, some day in May was declared International Men Can Wear Skirts Day a few years ago. It took place a couple of times and disappeared.

Maybe it could be revived as a charity benefit event. A guy would get sponsors to wear a skirt to work and into the evening. The sponsors would sign up to give so much per hour's wearing in public. With the cover of "I'm just doing it for breast cancer or whatever." No one would have to out himself, we'd have lots more men on the street in skirts and a few would decide, "Why not?"

I'm not sure how to launch this and get it on the radar, but first things first, is this an idea that sounds great when sketched out on the bar napkin and not so hot in the light of day or does it have legs?
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

There is an organization, not sure where it is based, which encourages men to wear a school dress to collect funds with the aim of getting girls in third-world countries into education (probably the most important way of modernizing society and getting rid of ancient prejudices).
It is as good an idea as another, but any one-off, special event, sponsored wearing of open garments, has little bearing on men's adoption of skirts as day-to-day wear.

Martin
Regular Guy

Post by Regular Guy »

There is nothing that is really a "deal breaker" with the new design for me. Although some colors other than drab would be nice. What colors would be nice? Well, a forest green, wine, lighter shade of brown. Just my 2 cents.

BUT.....Sadly, unless you offer a SMALLER size, I Still can't be a customer. 28-30 waist here.

RG
Just a ......‘Regular Guy’ .......Kilted or Skirted
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Regular Guy wrote: .Sadly, unless you offer a SMALLER size, I Still can't be a customer. 28-30 waist here.

RG
Finding clothing that fits has always been a problem for me, and as obesity becomes the norm, it will be harder still to find small sizes. I have been wondering whether I should try to fatten up, but I don't want to, as I have no wish to throw out all my 28-inch garments, nor have extra weight on my feet.

Martin
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

This is not the length of skirt I would wear but being a designer myself I would like to offer some comments.
The 2 major curved seams look good; they make it look a bit like a wrap type garment and certainly adds interest to what would be a very plain skirt. I think the good sized pockets could be better integrated into these seams, at least one seam becoming the pocket edge. I do not like the curved seam continuation from the rear zip, it looks like the skirt is twisted. I can understand why you don't want a front zip and I think it looks good without. I suggest trying to work the zip into the area where one pocket can not be integrated with the seam - there is a area where the top of the pocket could be continued to create the flap for the hook fastener at the waist band and perhaps part of the pocket edge covering the zip .... errrr I would have to draw it. I have a Ted Baker mini skirt that has fastener atop both pockets and enough of a split hidden in the pocket to accommodate getting over the hips, no zips the pockets a deep enough that you small change will not fall out. The fastener could be velcro as you have belt loops for security.

You mention linen as a layer; why not all linen? It is a great material, hangs well, feels good, cool in summer. I have been searching for a linen skirt of a style that I would wear.

A commendable challenge to be sure; good luck.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Couya wrote: {{{Skip the quote - message to Couya}}}
Martin
That avatar of yours intrigues me - that light sort of pastel colored tartan kilt or mini-kilted skirt.
Is there more to it ? What tartan clan ?
And commenting further that apron folding between the legs perfect degree of modesty and those
WHITE kilt sox making a bold statement (color is usually cream or an off-white).
Certainly could pass for parochial school wear - but then none of us are still going to school to notice
- BUT then some of us were schooled to notice the subtle differences in clothing.
Getting my degree here at SkirtCafe University ! LOL !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Scarlet O'Hara in 'Gone with the Wind' boasted of her 17 inch waist! Couya's 28" is perfectly believable as he was built for speed and he is noticeably shorter than Tor ! The orange legs are tinted by the Spanish Sun.

Rail networks throughout Europe & Brexitland have a gauge 4ft 8 &1/2 inch in Imperial, but just to be cussed the rail gauge throughout the island of Ireland is 5ft 3 inches.
This must explain why I was born into a wider skellington and my waist is 33-4 inches, or current UK size 16 misses.

Back on thread here, I welcome the increased range of colours apparently on offer, but the illustrations & description of the new skirt do not encourage me to invest.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

r.m.anderson wrote:
Couya wrote: {{{Skip the quote - message to Couya}}}
Martin
That avatar of yours intrigues me - that light sort of pastel colored tartan kilt or mini-kilted skirt.
Is there more to it ? What tartan clan ?
Kinloch Anderson's own tartan, lightweight kilt, worn very frequently over 12 years and going threadbare in places.
The kilt colours are red, blue and beige, and my socks are beige to match -- I don't wear white ones.
The colour of the knees is due more to photographic saturation than to the southern sun, whatever Tom may tell you.
KA kilt.png
No chance of taking me for a schoolgirl.
M
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Couya wrote:
Kinloch Anderson's own tartan, lightweight kilt, worn very frequently over 12 years and going threadbare in places.
The kilt colours are red, blue and beige, and my socks are beige to match -- I don't wear white ones.
The colour of the knees is due more to photographic saturation than to the southern sun, whatever Tom may tell you.
KA kilt.png
No chance of taking me for a schoolgirl.
M
I'm assuming the photo was taken with a film camera? If so, probably Kodak film... Seems to always have some red saturation compared to other brands of film and also real life.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

The Skirtcraft Aqueous Skirt is not my "cup of tea"; there's nothing inherently wrong with it, just that it does not appeal.

I have no problem with a rear zip. The spiral design is quite unusual, and nice. The material appears hardy. Length, not a problem. Colours are OK, depending upon the setting and situation. Yet, together they just don't work for me. It might be the flare and drape of the garment, as they're at odds with my preferred styles yet, again, nothing wrong.

So, to sum up, not for me, thanks.