The supermarket

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

The supermarket

Post by Tackleberry »

I've just been to the supermarket, Waitrose, in my new black denim mini and nobody noticed apart from one woman standing at the exit who gave me a quick up and down look :shock:
So I think it's a success wearing a skirt in public!!!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The supermarket

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Tackleberry wrote:I've just been to the supermarket, Waitrose, in my new black denim mini and nobody noticed apart from one woman standing at the exit who gave me a quick up and down look :shock:
It is always a success when you wear a skirt!! :lol: Since I decided to wear skirts as my normal dress I have received only one bad reaction and that was from a woman wearing a pair of mens pants (not pants made for a woman but actual men's pants). Some nerve! I just ignored her and kept on as though I did not hear her. But the day was not all bad I also got 3 complements 2 from women and one from a thirty something guy in his company uniform.

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tackleberry »

Franinskirts wrote:
Tackleberry wrote:I've just been to the supermarket, Waitrose, in my new black denim mini and nobody noticed apart from one woman standing at the exit who gave me a quick up and down look :shock:
It is always a success when you wear a skirt!! :lol: Since I decided to wear skirts as my normal dress I have received only one bad reaction and that was from a woman wearing a pair of mens pants (not pants made for a woman but actual men's pants). Some nerve! I just ignored her and kept on as though I did not hear her. But the day was not all bad I also got 3 complements 2 from women and one from a thirty something guy in his company uniform.

I'm tempted to wear a skirt driving a bus if I get back to work after my suspension...
I don't know anybody at work, or have any friends there so wouldn't bother me either way if I wore a skirt, got the ideal skirt for it :wink:
And in colder weather the blue tights to go with the skirt...
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tackleberry »

I think it might be down to the fact I was on a mission and looked like I "belonged", if I looked nervous about being there I would have not looked natural and got the looks?
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Last Saturday I went for the first time to my "normal" supermarket Redner's. I was in a kilt with knee high socks (cold and windy) so it was not really daring. Groceries shopping is not a hobby of me so I went through my shopping list as if it was a military operation as usual. I noticed a few women having more than a normal amount of attention for the nearby shelves. Besides two register ladies, no other member of the crew paid any attention.
I usually go shopping when it is dark so next time I will try it in the daylight. I like to build up confidence. Then I will be ready for skirts when it gets warmer.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Tackleberry wrote:I think it might be down to the fact I was on a mission and looked like I "belonged", if I looked nervous about being there I would have not looked natural and got the looks?
I'm sure of that.

If you act like a creep they're going to think you're a creep. And if you don't they won't.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

Go into a buzy Sainsburry's like I did with my wife in a mini skirt, no one looked or at least I don't think anyone did, Then wife took my pic outside at the entrance. I've had people shake their heads as they go past but even that is rare, no one has ever made a negative comment to my face and ALL my skirts are a bit on the short side.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Love to see the picture your wife took. Was she wearing a skirt. Since she is ok with you wearing skirts what would be great would be matching outfits.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

oldsalt1 wrote:Love to see the picture your wife took. Was she wearing a skirt. Since she is ok with you wearing skirts what would be great would be matching outfits.
That's the thing, my wife never wears a skirt and my daughter mostly wears jeans. So I'm the one who wears the skirts in our house. Think I posted a pic somewhere on here before.
emills

Post by emills »

My 1st outing in my kilt was to the market. I got exactly one reaction, from a vendor (who happened to be Pacific Islander, if it matters). The look in his eyes, and the grin on his face said, "I get it, and I dig it,". I've since then decided to push anyone's judgement (aside from my wife's, of course) to the side and do as I please.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Now we're talking!

Bravo!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I've gone to the supermarket in skirts, long and short. No big deal whatsoever. I simply go about my business like what I'm wearing is as natural to me like with any female. That's the only way to go.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I've been to the supermarket in skirts and dresses so often I felt self-conscious this weekend in the supermarket because I was wearing pants! They were an essential part of my Halloween costume so I had little choice.

When I realized how I was feeling, I had to laugh.

Come to think of it, I've gotten some pretty nice compliments on my outfits at the grocery store.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I too have had some nice remarks at the supermarket. I wear my skirts with pride and am so comfortable in them that I don't even think about it any more.
Keep up the good works.

"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

This happens to me from time to time, odd one may giggle while at supermarkets. I get far more compliments or even staff and other shoppers talking to me and my wife when you ask or they ask for help than I do stares. Being 6' 6" I'm regularly used for the higher shelves especially if item is towards the back. Conversations are usually nothing about appearance but odd times one will say like the outfit.

Those that stare are in the minority, they have the problem and the one having a negative time in their life. They mostly are embracing male style clothing if not actual male clothing as well. The female double standards with regards freedom of choice and expression.

As already said, wearing a skirt in public is always a success.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.