Been going out more

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Been going out more

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Bamaskirting wrote:restaurants is the only place I don't go. I shop a lot. that's why I usually wear while shopping. usually it's hobby lobby and Home Depot. now the leggings I wear more places. it is super redneck down here. only places off limits to me is the mall and my Walmart that's a couple miles down the road. I just feel it's best to stay away from there. anywhere else is pretty much game to me.
but I'm a lot more comfortable going out for sure. and I don't hesitate as much to get out of car.
One of the first places I wore a skirt was to a restaurant. I did not have any trouble at all. Now I go every where in my skirts. I find that I don't have any trouble, except that which is in my imagination. :hide: People for the most part don't give a rats butt what you wear as long as you don't bother them as they have enough troubles of their own.

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

I agree, just don't worry about it. I'm currently on a 2 week vacation, spent 10 days in Canada ending up in Jasper, Banff and surrounding areas for our yearly motorcycle trip. Every year we go someplace we haven't been before. I've worn a denim knee length skirt in just about every local we visited without any problems at all. Currently spending last night and day in Missoula MT, and will be going to Helena MT for a few days visiting my daughter. Then westward to home (Seattle area). While in Missoula we went to a movie theater, a mall, and out to eat all whilst wearing a skirt. I'm sure I get some looks, but I don't notice them anymore, and don't care anyway. BTW I've gotten several comments on my manicured/polished fingernails too.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I've been in shopping malls, restaurants, big box stores, city parks and crowded downtown areas in skirts and heels and have been accepted for my appearance, or rather, ignored as most people are too wrapped up in their own lives and affairs to pay me much, if any appreciable attention. The important thing is to be calm, cool and comfortable while projecting an air that says you belong where you are, just like everyone else.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

As pretty much everyone else said. When I came out to my minister it was at a restaurant/cocktail lounge after which I went to a nice restaurant for a great steak dinner and a Jack Daniels. The maître d' held the door for me and the waitress wanted to know if I wanted a double of the Jack's. If I wasn't such a lightweight when it came to alcohol, I would have taken her up on that.
Yesterday, I put on my blue Jones NY pencil skirt and blazer with a white men's dress shirt with French cuffs and accessorized the outfit with a red Ascot, gold cufflinks and T-strap wing-tip pumps with, I guess, 3" heels. My first stop was my church so I could talk to the Bookkeeper about the church's finances. Between the parking lot and the front door to the offices an older neighbor lady who was walking her dog told me, "I like your look!" The Bookkeeper, who's also a friend, complimented me on my sense of style.
On my way to lunch I stopped at the dry cleaner's to pick up a tie. No comment on my outfit nor untoward look. Arrived downtown walked a block to the restaurant no notice by anyone that I could tell. One staff member held the door for me, the rest of the restaurant staff couldn't have been nicer or more appropriate, and again, it was a nice, popular, downtown restaurant at lunchtime, so it was busy. The woman I was meeting for lunch I assumed was married, to another woman as it turned out only wanted to know how I usually dressed for work because we were talking about setting transgender policy for the company I had just temped at.
We came to the conclusion that education and a little persuasion of the C-suite would probably be about all it's going to take to get some major company to say, "Sure, why not?" and in 5 or 10 years everyone will wonder what the hell were we thinking of to make a big deal of men coming to work in skirts.
After lunch I didn't have much else to do so I stopped at a coffee shop to collect my thoughts and answer some emails and text messages. There the only people who made anything of what I was wearing were women who gave me approving smiles and people who gave me compliments including a fellow who made a point of coming outside (I was at a sidewalk table near the front door) to apologize for interrupting me before he told me "(he) loved every bit of (my) outfit" and a woman who said, "Cute shoes Momma!" (When you get that kind of approval why quibble about the gender attribution.)
After spending time at the coffee shop I remembered I had some involved business at my credit union and had time to take care of it before I met my buddy for a beer. The teller who was helping me asked while we were waiting on the computer to do its work where I was going next. She was surprised when I told her meeting a friend for a drink; she felt as nicely turned out as I was I should be heading for a party.
With yet more time to kill, I cruised the shopping mall. At Marshall's I was told I was buying a cute purse and elsewhere was received quite cordially.
When he finally arrived at the bar my buddy, who's a construction superintendent, wanted to know what was with my outfit? He was mostly just taken by surprise and didn't quite know what to make of it. I related my history to him and didn't really give him an explanation beyond it was something I had always wanted to do. That seemed to suffice because we went on from there to talk about work, his latest construction project and most of the rest of the other typical guy topics.
In short Bamaskirting, and whoever else is struggling with going out in public -- and even I still get the butterflies -- treat your skirts like anything else you wear, except maybe take a little more pride in how the whole outfit comes together, and so will everyone you encounter.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I'm unemployed so I don't have to conform to a company dress code so I've been wearing skirts all summer long instead of shorts.
Restaurants, Grocery Store, Liquor Store, Home Depot, Post Office, Doctors Office. No one has said a thing about it, at least not to my face.

In the winter I will just wear Leggings with a sweater or big t-shirt quite a bit or wear tights/hose under a skirt to give give me legs more protection from the cold weather. I often choose colorful tights to accent the color scheme of the outfit since my skirts tend to be black or navy for the most part. I also wear longer heaver weight skirts in the winter than in the summer.

There is someone about being on the back since of your 50's that gives you a I just don't care what they think attitude about life, just live it the way I want and that includes dressing how I want.

:ugeek:
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

There is a long distance between trying on your first skirt.Which usually takes place locked away in your home with no one around and being able to go out in public wearing a skirt. I can remember my first trip to the gas station it was very early in the morning. at the farthest pump with the car doors hiding everything. I admit that I still have a ways to go. But I have come this far one step at a time.

I can remember my first contact with someone while wearing a skirt it was a berger king again very early in the morning >I went in with almost exact change so I would not have to wait too long.
When I first went into the supermarket. I grabbed a grocery cart and almost hid behind it.

Today I went into the same store didn't even worry about a cart. Once I got in I grabbed a cart because I had stuff to put in it. There were ladies shopping I went right up to the counter without worrying about being seen. I even helped a lady while she was trying to get a fruit bag.

My biggest fear is going to my VFW with a skirt on. I saw a member of my lodge in the store this morning . Awhile back I would have done my best to avoid him . But today I went right up to him and his wife.
I even got in the same checkout line.

I am not saying this to brag . I am just trying to let those who are just starting out know that it gets better and easier.
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

I worry less and less. like last night no hesitation going to Home Depot. the ultimate man store. I just don't usually go out to eat a lot by myself.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Bamaskirting wrote:I worry less and less. like last night no hesitation going to Home Depot. the ultimate man store.
They don't have a Home Depot here is SF, but I did go to Lowe's on the way home from the farmer's market on Saturday. Mid-calf length twill skirt because it was overcast and windy. :evil: It's supposed to be nice here in September.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I, too, have visited both Home Depot and Lowes skirted and survived.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I've also been to Home Depot numerous times in skirts and heels. No big deal.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I am working on my house so I am in both home depot and Lowe's quite a bit. My first time I tried to slip in and out had hide behind a cart. Now I just walk in I even use the cashiers in the building section
which is usually packed with construction types I wear mini skirts about 4 inches above my knees. I have never had a problem. Even had times where I had to get help with prices again never a problem. I am sure that some comments may have been passed after I left. but who cares they don't pay my mortgage
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:As pretty much everyone else said. When I came out to my minister it was at a restaurant/cocktail lounge after which I went to a nice restaurant for a great steak dinner and a Jack Daniels. The maître d' held the door for me and the waitress wanted to know if I wanted a double of the Jack's. If I wasn't such a lightweight when it came to alcohol, I would have taken her up on that.
Yesterday, I put on my blue Jones NY pencil skirt and blazer with a white men's dress shirt with French cuffs and accessorized the outfit with a red Ascot, gold cufflinks and T-strap wing-tip pumps with, I guess, 3" heels. My first stop was my church so I could talk to the Bookkeeper about the church's finances. Between the parking lot and the front door to the offices an older neighbor lady who was walking her dog told me, "I like your look!" The Bookkeeper, who's also a friend, complimented me on my sense of style.
On my way to lunch I stopped at the dry cleaner's to pick up a tie. No comment on my outfit nor untoward look. Arrived downtown walked a block to the restaurant no notice by anyone that I could tell. One staff member held the door for me, the rest of the restaurant staff couldn't have been nicer or more appropriate, and again, it was a nice, popular, downtown restaurant at lunchtime, so it was busy. The woman I was meeting for lunch I assumed was married, to another woman as it turned out only wanted to know how I usually dressed for work because we were talking about setting transgender policy for the company I had just temped at.
We came to the conclusion that education and a little persuasion of the C-suite would probably be about all it's going to take to get some major company to say, "Sure, why not?" and in 5 or 10 years everyone will wonder what the hell were we thinking of to make a big deal of men coming to work in skirts.
After lunch I didn't have much else to do so I stopped at a coffee shop to collect my thoughts and answer some emails and text messages. There the only people who made anything of what I was wearing were women who gave me approving smiles and people who gave me compliments including a fellow who made a point of coming outside (I was at a sidewalk table near the front door) to apologize for interrupting me before he told me "(he) loved every bit of (my) outfit" and a woman who said, "Cute shoes Momma!" (When you get that kind of approval why quibble about the gender attribution.)
After spending time at the coffee shop I remembered I had some involved business at my credit union and had time to take care of it before I met my buddy for a beer. The teller who was helping me asked while we were waiting on the computer to do its work where I was going next. She was surprised when I told her meeting a friend for a drink; she felt as nicely turned out as I was I should be heading for a party.
With yet more time to kill, I cruised the shopping mall. At Marshall's I was told I was buying a cute purse and elsewhere was received quite cordially.
When he finally arrived at the bar my buddy, who's a construction superintendent, wanted to know what was with my outfit? He was mostly just taken by surprise and didn't quite know what to make of it. I related my history to him and didn't really give him an explanation beyond it was something I had always wanted to do. That seemed to suffice because we went on from there to talk about work, his latest construction project and most of the rest of the other typical guy topics.
In short Bamaskirting, and whoever else is struggling with going out in public -- and even I still get the butterflies -- treat your skirts like anything else you wear, except maybe take a little more pride in how the whole outfit comes together, and so will everyone you encounter.
Sounds like a great outfit! I am looking for new fashion ideas and would like to see a pic so I could put a similar look together myself! Pls can you post a picture of the pencil skirt blazer and shirt? I'm looking for a way for my looks to be less 'half man, half woman' and more natural. Your outfit sounds great ♡♡♡
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Hi Kilty,

I'll keep your request in mind when I take the time to make up some photos.

One thing about this particular outfit, I had the jacket altered to put the button on the right side.

Btw, pencil skirts aren't the only style of skirt that flatter our gams. :wink:
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:Hi Kilty,

I'll keep your request in mind when I take the time to make up some photos.

One thing about this particular outfit, I had the jacket altered to put the button on the right side.

Btw, pencil skirts aren't the only style of skirt that flatter our gams. :wink:
True, but I like the way mine cling to my thighs and the general cut :mrgreen: bias cut ones are nice too :)