Kimonos?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Kimonos?

Post by pelmut »

Not sure if these count as skirts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd9EZe6RPEQ
(Sarah Willis was the first woman to join the horn section of the Berlin Philharmonic and pioneered a channel devoted to encouraging young musicians.)
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Kimonos?

Post by Grok »

I used to have a light weight version of a kimono, called, I believe, a yukata. Sort of like a light weight version of a bath robe. Which I used it as during the summer. Eventually the garment wore out.
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

Nice page on the differences http://blog.fromjapan.co.jp/en/fashion/ ... r-buy.html.

"A yukata is a casual kimono-like garment worn during the summer. It’s unlined and usually made of cotton to make the fabric more breathable. As such, yukata are popular for dressing up for summer events like firework festivals."

When I visited Japan we all, of both genders, were provided yukatas for dinner. I have a couple that I wear in the evening around the house.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Orange Apple wrote:"A yukata is a casual kimono-like garment worn during the summer. It’s unlined and usually made of cotton to make the fabric more breathable. As such, yukata are popular for dressing up for summer events like firework festivals."
Are these things available for purchase in the US? I have a need for something lightweight, yet slightly formal, to maintain dignity in the household I now dwell in. This sounds like the perfect option (although I would covet a nice short robe of satin or silk).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

crfriend wrote:
Orange Apple wrote:"A yukata is a casual kimono-like garment worn during the summer. It’s unlined and usually made of cotton to make the fabric more breathable. As such, yukata are popular for dressing up for summer events like firework festivals."
Are these things available for purchase in the US? I have a need for something lightweight, yet slightly formal, to maintain dignity in the household I now dwell in. This sounds like the perfect option (although I would covet a nice short robe of satin or silk).
I wish this thread had come up a couple of years ago. Back then I patronized a shop owned by a Vietnamese woman who imported lots of nice things from Vietnam and other South Asian countries. She had quite a collection of silk kimono style knee length robes she had brought in. But by that time I was wearing skirts around the house most of the time and didn't feel the need for a robe. Sadly, the store is closed now.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

Me wearing a yukata:
I guess I tied the obi improperly, but whatever :D
らき☆