First outing in public

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: First outing in public

Post by Caultron »

Karl wrote:Went out in my denim mini yesterday but disappointed not to be seen as this would have been good for my confidence
Where did you go?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Karl

Post by Karl »

Miniature railway. It had a kind of park at the side and as the railway was closed we decided to walk around the park
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Karl I can only repeat what I said to you in your introduction thread http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtop ... 99#p157999
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
Karl

Post by Karl »

I did that last night. I got home late but decide to shower and dress then go for a walk in a private housing estate a few miles from home in my skirt and top.
Altho I didn't bump into anyone walking by but was seen by many motorist passing by so decide to carry on and walk along the main road.
I really enjoyed it and wanted to carry on but it started raining heavy
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Karl wrote:I did that last night. I got home late but decide to shower and dress then go for a walk in a private housing estate a few miles from home in my skirt and top.
Altho I didn't bump into anyone walking by but was seen by many motorist passing by so decide to carry on and walk along the main road.
I really enjoyed it and wanted to carry on but it started raining heavy
Good for you! Keep trying and I'm sure you'll eventually have a face-to-face encounter with someone.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Karl

Post by Karl »

Face to face encounter
I'm thinking and hoping he or she will just look or glare but say nothing.
Last night it would not have bothered me a bit as when I walked down main road I also walked past a pub which had quiet a few peeps in
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Karl wrote:...Last night it would not have bothered me a bit as when I walked down main road I also walked past a pub which had quiet a few peeps in
Maybe you should've gone in. Spot of courage and all that.

caultron
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

Caultron wrote:
Karl wrote:...Last night it would not have bothered me a bit as when I walked down main road I also walked past a pub which had quiet a few peeps in
Maybe you should've gone in. Spot of courage and all that.
One of my first public outings in a skirt was a local restaurant that has an event once a month for members of their "beer club". The place was packed. I got no comments or observable looks.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Karl wrote:Face to face encounter
I'm thinking and hoping he or she will just look or glare but say nothing.
Last night it would not have bothered me a bit as when I walked down main road I also walked past a pub which had quiet a few peeps in
Karl

You are doing fine but you need to simply go out in your skirt as Karl, just as you would in trousers as Karl. Chilled and confident no concern about what he or she may say or glare. From my early days having such thoughts puts you on edge and in turn you will appear unconfident as Karl in a skirt. First sessions to most come with queries and concerns. It is natural to most on anything for the first time to be unsure but as always you will look back and ask why. Initially I always had someone with me, my wife or a friend, but very quickly you realise you are not with them. Quite often now when my wife and I shop and are looking in the womens clothing department we go off separately, meeting up to show what we had found.

Walking into a pub on your own in a skirt, especially if you have to yet experience direct people can be difficult but not impossible. Your wife supports you, walk in together. When I decided to go public I told friends first, no one was bothered and quite honestly they did not know before hand. None objected to go out and about with me. Try your friends. Going out with others who are not bothered helps confidence. My first outing was with my wife only. I wanted to break the ice without friends. We went into a shopping area we have been too many times before. No problem at all, yes we were aware one or two groups were talking about me, many looked as we past for a second like, yes I did see a man in a skirt, my eyes are not faulty. People always look at something that is odd in their eyes and a man in a skirt is not normal in society so it is odd. In 5 years of public outings I have yet to have any one have a go at me directly. Many looks, quite a few compliments, many start in promptu conversations and make no reference. I have had the question what religion are you in. I just say the one of freedom of choice and expression like everyone else. They always say, oh thats OK or similar thing, never derigatory. In my first outing to the shop, every member of staff passed and altered something on the shelf. A man in a skirt had to be seen. Once seen, that's it. So long as you are yourself, and your sppearance is similar to how "normal society" is i.e. man in a skirt similar to woman in a skirt/trousers, 99% of society carries on. The sky does not collapse. My wife and I always buy our skirts together but separbutly at the checkouts and 99% of the checkout staff will chat to me. Oh thats nice, or treating yourself today etc.

Don't walk in the dark. Do it in daylight. Believe in yourself and have fun. If you are just like in appearance and stature to everyday skirt wearers, those that find you odd will leave you alone and keep you at a distance.

Keep going. It is great fun and certainly gives me a boost even 5 years on.

Jeremy
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

My first outing in a skirt was to a gas station and then a busy hardware store. I figured "jump in with both feet" was better than sticking my toe in to feel the water. It went better than expected and after that I wasn't afraid to wear a skirt anywhere I needed or wanted to be.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Karl

Post by Karl »

Thanks. Skirtedman.
I don't think I have a problem going out in my denim but my femme girly skirts need some thought still.
With having kids still at home my time Skirted is limited so will need to go out then change and my wife has different days off to me so that's why we went out at night.
As in my other post I intend to open a new post called "my wardrobe " And take pics of my skirts hoping to get feedback from member on this site
Karl
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Karl wrote:?..I don't think I have a problem going out in my denim...
That's always a safe choice, and a great way to begin.

caultron
DTSA

Post by DTSA »

Hi Karl, I was very nervous like you when out but have worn my Macabi skirt out on a few occasions now with no problem at all. I have worn it to Sissinghurst Castle gardens, a vineyard and out and about and no comments or negative response at all.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

My wife and I belong to a 4WD club. Last weekend was an excursion to several landmarks and points of interest in a national park. In order to ensure that we reserved a camp site for our entire group, it was necessary to occupy it. Four of the members arrived Thursday to guard our camp area. I arrived in a camouflage above the knee skirt, calmly got out my folding chair and snacks and joined the group. No one noticed what I was wearing and we talked about trucks, Jeeps, guns, and everything else except politics. When it started to get dark we were reasonably certain our camp was secure, so I went home because my wife could not spend Thursday night camping. We packed our vehicle and left home early Friday and got to camp, and one by one our members began to arrive, set up camp, and joined the conversations. For the rest of the trip I wore shorts as an above the knee skirt would have been kind of awkward to sit in around the campfire and getting in and out of a vehicle. I didn't push it any further and no one discussed what I was wearing the previous day. We have a congenial group of couples, single women who love off road driving, and single guys. We have a large club and I knew that if anyone realized what I was wearing on Thursday, that it would get around the membership very quickly.

At the end of the trip when we got far enough away from the group, I changed back into a skirt for the drive home. We live about forty five miles from where we ere camping. Skirts are more comfortable for driving and walking, but not so much for sitting.

Happy-N-Skirts
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Sounds like a successful outing, Happy-N_Skirts! I'm glad it went well.

As for sitting, keep working on it, and start out with something knee-length or longer.

caultron