Guess I won't be wearing a skirt anymore

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Guess I won't be wearing a skirt anymore

Post by Bamaskirting »

Caultron wrote:
Bamaskirting wrote:Thanks to all the backlash in Alabama about the transcended bathroom issues, I don't think I'll be going out in a skirt anymore. I think that's setting us all back. We may not be transcender but society mostly sees skirts as attire for female. I don't know. Just will have to see. If I go out I'm carrying a very large knife.
The more I think about this, the harder it is for me to visualize someone becoming violent because someone else is wearing a skirt. A brief negative comment or frown is the worst I've experienced, and even those are pretty rare.

Then again, I live in Arizona and not in Alabama. And while Arizona can be quite conservative politically, it also favors rugged individualists.

Another avenue, if you're still uncomfortable, might be to wear your skirts in places considered counter-cultural already: comicons, tattoo conventions, art shows, art districts, rock concerts, and so forth. You might also try looking for Scottish or Celtic festivals in your area.
you're most likely right. I usually only wear them while shopping for art supplies and stuff. I don't go all over in them yet. places where there are more women than men.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Caultron wrote:
Bamaskirting wrote:Thanks to all the backlash in Alabama about the transcended bathroom issues, I don't think I'll be going out in a skirt anymore. I think that's setting us all back. We may not be transcender but society mostly sees skirts as attire for female. I don't know. Just will have to see. If I go out I'm carrying a very large knife.
The more I think about this, the harder it is for me to visualize someone becoming violent because someone else is wearing a skirt. A brief negative comment or frown is the worst I've experienced, and even those are pretty rare.

Then again, I live in Arizona and not in Alabama. And while Arizona can be quite conservative politically, it also favors rugged individualists.

Another avenue, if you're still uncomfortable, might be to wear your skirts in places considered counter-cultural already: comicons, tattoo conventions, art shows, art districts, rock concerts, and so forth. You might also try looking for Scottish or Celtic festivals in your area.
You are correct. Despite the nut-jobs in Kingman, AZ is NOT AL or even once-progressive NC. You don't know inbred prejudice as we do.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Bamaskirting wrote: there is but I don't go that way ever. I usually don't wear expensive shoes anyways. I'm just going to pick up some black vans and a cheaper pairs of nikes
Maybe worth heading out there and seeing what they have. I typically wear my stuff until it's completely worn out, just because I don't like spending money where I don't need to. I know I probably wouldn't have been able to afford two pairs of shoes if the aforementioned pair hadn't been cut down in price so severely. Now that I'm 40, I'm realizing that I need to take better care of my feet, so being able to get upper end US made footwear for cheap is great for my feet, since it lasts longer and actually has some support that I don't get with the low end stuff at Foot Locker, Sports Authority, etc. Yeah, it's last year's stuff and may have some blemishes, but...

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Disaffected.citizen wrote: "Immigrants" are taking our jobs; "Immigrants" come here and immediately get benefits;
http://newsthump.com/2015/09/07/donald- ... -your-job/
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

While I have little love for discussing politics, I read somewhere a week or two ago that the current campaign of harassment against transgenders regarding the bathroom issue is payback by conservatives and bible thumpers for SCOTUS (Supreme Court of the United States) giving the green light to gay marriage last year, so the legions of holier-than-thou haters moved on to a softer target to unload their prejudice. I don't know how much truth there is to that rumor, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. In any event, I can fully understand Bamaskirting's reticence to wear skirts, especially given all the religious mania and intolerance in the South.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

JeffB1959 wrote:While I have little love for discussing politics, I read somewhere a week or two ago that the current campaign of harassment against transgenders regarding the bathroom issue is payback by conservatives and bible thumpers for SCOTUS (Supreme Court of the United States) giving the green light to gay marriage last year, so the legions of holier-than-thou haters moved on to a softer target to unload their prejudice. I don't know how much truth there is to that rumor, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. In any event, I can fully understand Bamaskirting's reticence to wear skirts, especially given all the religious mania and intolerance in the South.
I would not call it payback as much as the death-rattle of the last dinosaurs... ~says with fingers crossed~
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

JeffB1959 wrote:While I have little love for discussing politics, I read somewhere a week or two ago that the current campaign of harassment against transgenders regarding the bathroom issue is payback by conservatives and bible thumpers for SCOTUS (Supreme Court of the United States) giving the green light to gay marriage last year, so the legions of holier-than-thou haters moved on to a softer target to unload their prejudice. I don't know how much truth there is to that rumor, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.
Nor I. If you're going to play holier-than-thou, you have to pick someone to play the part of thou.
JeffB1959 wrote:In any event, I can fully understand Bamaskirting's reticence to wear skirts, especially given all the religious mania and intolerance in the South.
That's hard to believe there's anywhere in the USA you can get beat up for wearing a skirt but, not having been there in the rural South for some time, I really have no personal insight.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

Caultron wrote:
JeffB1959 wrote:While I have little love for discussing politics, I read somewhere a week or two ago that the current campaign of harassment against transgenders regarding the bathroom issue is payback by conservatives and bible thumpers for SCOTUS (Supreme Court of the United States) giving the green light to gay marriage last year, so the legions of holier-than-thou haters moved on to a softer target to unload their prejudice. I don't know how much truth there is to that rumor, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.
Nor I. If you're going to play holier-than-thou, you have to pick someone to play the part of thou.
JeffB1959 wrote:In any event, I can fully understand Bamaskirting's reticence to wear skirts, especially given all the religious mania and intolerance in the South.
That's hard to believe there's anywhere in the USA you can get beat up for wearing a skirt but, not having been there in the rural South for some time, I really have no personal insight.
Put it this way, when I was younger my friends and I went downtown to queerbash. We didn't do it but we were willing. It happens sometimes here
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Bamaskirting wrote:Put it this way, when I was younger my friends and I went downtown to queerbash. We didn't do it but we were willing. It happens sometimes here
Here's where history gets interesting -- and when folks admit to things about it. There's nothing wrong with either being of an alternate persuasion or wearing skirts -- yet misplaced notions, suspicions, and prejudices conflate the two all the time. And, yes, in certain parts of the world it may well be possible to get one's lights punched out for dressing differently. Personally, I avoid such spots, not just for my own physical safety but also because I find such areas psychologically, intellectually, and emotionally stifling and repressive.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Bamaskirting wrote:Put it this way, when I was younger my friends and I went downtown to queerbash. We didn't do it but we were willing. It happens sometimes here
You always have the chance to make amends. Whether you believe in afterlife judgement or not, purging misdeed will help your own well-being here and now. There is much to be said for feeling at peace with the past. Note that "feeling at peace" is not the same as feeling superior. We all have regrets to purge.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I heard on CNN today that the US Justice Dept. sent a letter to the Governor of NC that their bathroom law violates federal law and warned the Governor to not enforce it. The letter also gave the Gov. a deadline by which to respond.

So while a lot more states than I would have ever imagined have passed such laws, it looks like they're going the way of the dinosaur.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

dillon wrote:You always have the chance to make amends. Whether you believe in afterlife judgement or not, purging misdeed will help your own well-being here and now.
Indeed, and the first step towards that is recognising the wrongs that one has perpetrated in the past. Almost certainly we all have, whether we realise it or not, and when we do recognise that we have wronged someone, we should take the opportunity to reflect on that and learn from it. This is not to say w should wallow in it, but that we should learn what led up to the problem then so we don't repeat the behaviour in the future.

History has a way of turning around and biting us -- especially if we ignore it. Sometimes we get the chance to make amends, and sometimes we don't. The saddest ones are where one would very much like to speak with someone one has known and had since passed. I know both. I've run into echoes of my former self a few times; some have been disgusting (not to put too fine a point on it) and some have been entirely bitter-sweet. I try to learn from these.
Jayce

Post by Jayce »

When I'm out "Kilted" the only restroom I use is "Mens", I've never had a problem. When visiting my daughters, one in Florida and the other in Ohio, where I generally wear a Sport or Utility kilt, and use men's restrooms, no problems. When visiting my son in Haleyville, Alabama, I wear men's jeans --> at his request, even though he wears kilts to many family functions here in Central New Jersey. Why an exception for Haleyville? --> My son claims there are some judgmental people who enjoy pointing out anything/anyone they consider "different" and he doesn't want me embarrassed. Yet, in Huntsville, just a few miles away he thinks it's safe to wear a black, denim or Tartan Kilt. The solution is to not quit wearing kilts/skirts, but adapt to location AND use Men's rooms.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jayce wrote:Yet, in Huntsville, just a few miles away he thinks it's safe to wear a black, denim or Tartan Kilt.
The last time I was in Huntsville, AL was back in the '80s -- and once you got outside City Limits it got pretty "red" really fast. Has it changed? (I'd imagine not all that much.)
The solution is to not quit wearing kilts/skirts, but adapt to location AND use Men's rooms.
Indeed. I've been doing just that for a decade and change and have never had a problem.
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

Jayce wrote:When I'm out "Kilted" the only restroom I use is "Mens", I've never had a problem. When visiting my daughters, one in Florida and the other in Ohio, where I generally wear a Sport or Utility kilt, and use men's restrooms, no problems. When visiting my son in Haleyville, Alabama, I wear men's jeans --> at his request, even though he wears kilts to many family functions here in Central New Jersey. Why an exception for Haleyville? --> My son claims there are some judgmental people who enjoy pointing out anything/anyone they consider "different" and he doesn't want me embarrassed. Yet, in Huntsville, just a few miles away he thinks it's safe to wear a black, denim or Tartan Kilt. The solution is to not quit wearing kilts/skirts, but adapt to location AND use Men's rooms.
that's why I pick and choose where to wear my skirts. although I've been going all over in yoga pants. I'd never go in a women's restroom. I just feel all that is hurting our cause. because we wear skirts, some more of a freestyle way, we will most likely be put in that category by the more conservative public.