New here!

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

New here!

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Hi I just joined Skirt Cafe and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Fred and I have been wearing skirts now for almost a year. I wear all of the time and just about everywhere I go from doctors offices to restaurants and grocery stores. I have a bunch of skirts from ankle length to knee length. :D I enjoy the comfort of a skirt. The skirts I wear in public mostly are denim and thats because they have "POCKETS" :ugeek: . I need pockets to carry all of the stuff I need to carry. I have worn my knit skirts in public as well but no pockets in them. I normally wear a sport shirt with the skirts. I have yet to encounter any bad reactions to my skirts, and hope that continues. I live in Aiken County South Carolina near the southeast corner. Anyone else living and breathing in SC :?: :?: :?: :?:

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: New here!

Post by dillon »

You must be near Savannah River, Fred. I'm in NC but a pretty good drive from North Augusta. I'm on the coast and two hours from the SC line, but maybe a Horry County meet-up? Little River or North Myrtle... How is the social atmosphere for a skirted man over there in western SC? And welcome, BTW!
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

dillon wrote:You must be near Savannah River, Fred. I'm in NC but a pretty good drive from North Augusta. I'm on the coast and two hours from the SC line, but maybe a Horry County meet-up? Little River or North Myrtle... How is the social atmosphere for a skirted man over there in western SC? And welcome, BTW!
Hi Dillon,
Yes I am not far from the Savannah River. I don't live in N. Augusta but a lot further East on HWY 78 out past Aiken. I have not had any problems yet and I have been public for about 7 months now. I have been wearing skirts for about a little over a year though.

Thanks for the welcome,
Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Welcome to Skirt Cafe, Fred. I used to live in Comer, GA (near Athens), about 80 miles away from you, but now am in northern Illinois.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

Many welcomes! You'll fit right in here.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Welcome to the site Fred - you will fit in just fine. 8)

I am from the other side of the "pond" but have visited the states on a number occasions - New York (several times), San Francoisco, Vegas (just the once) - as a base to see the Grand Canyon - Chicago (once) and Florida (twice)

I have worn skirts for about 6 years though I also have worn a kilt for several years before that (being Scottish helps!). My longest length is at knee-level (tartan kilt) though I prefer miniskirts. :shock:
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
owen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by owen »

Welcome Fred! Yes, pockets are a big issue with skirts. Why? Because skirts are aimed at women and women don't use/like pockets even on trousers and jackets since they all carry handbags. There's absolutely no other reason that I can see for a skirt to lack pockets. :)
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I have a couple of "messenger bags" that I carry when wearing skirts that don't have enough pockets. These typically have shoulder straps and are designed to accommodate a tablet or laptop PC. And they allow you the fiction of saying, "No, it's not a purse; it's a small brief case with a shoulder strap."

But let's face it; it's a prize. A bit more rectangular than most women carry but still...

I must say, though, that I've never had anyone react badly to it. And although it's a bit of a nuisance putting it on on when I get out of the car and taking it off when I get back in, it's really not that bad and you get used to it.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Thank you guys for the welcome that I have received. :cheers: I know I will enjoy talking with all of you and sharing my skirted travels.

Fred :kiltdance:
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Hi Fred and :welcome:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Caultron wrote:I have a couple of "messenger bags" that I carry when wearing skirts that don't have enough pockets. These typically have shoulder straps and are designed to accommodate a tablet or laptop PC. And they allow you the fiction of saying, "No, it's not a purse; it's a small brief case with a shoulder strap."

But let's face it; it's a prize. A bit more rectangular than most women carry but still...

I must say, though, that I've never had anyone react badly to it. And although it's a bit of a nuisance putting it on on when I get out of the car and taking it off when I get back in, it's really not that bad and you get used to it.
Usable pockets are a rarity in skirts, and only one or two of my yoga-type stretch pants have pockets at all. I doubt I have more than three skirts that I would characterize as having useful pockets, but (not trying to sound like Rubio here) I do have pretty big hands. I have some bags from Overland Equipment that are suitably masculine and excellent quality, sized from fairly small to tablet-fitting. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... v5fks61x_b (Amazon reference as the Overland company site currently being updated) You can often find sales on Overland bags, and probably will on last year's styles when their website is put back up.

And I also have one by Keen http://www.keenfootwear.com/products/bags . Keen bags are really way too expensive for the value, so you have to watch for them to show up on discount sites, or eBay. Sometimes Sierra TP has them.

I know some guys on here carry women's designer-type fashion handbags, but I won't. It's just too effeminate for my comfort. I really liked Jim's kilt creation, shown in another thread/forum, which incorporated a GI web belt; with attachments, that would be just the ticket, IMO.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Yes, a woodsy / outdoorsy travel bag is definitely a masculine alternative to a purse.

Even if both are cloth or leather bags with a shoulder straps...
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
RavenTao

Post by RavenTao »

Greetings to all. I am new here. I started out wearing a kilt, out of curiosity, and found I liked it, esspe cially in warm weather. But I also found kilts to be heavey, too much material goes into making one. So one day I took a pair of denim jeans, made a straight cut just above the crotch, then washed it. Let me tell you, I loved it. Where as the kilt felt heavy and scratchy on my legs, the denim mini skirt felt wonderful. It was soft and light, and even felt sensuous when I walked. I wore it over to my girlfriend's house. Her friend was there. They had a good laugh, but her friend said I looked good in it. Maybe because of my long hair. I have no desire, though, to wear skirts in public. I don't think I can handle the feeling of self-consciousness. So I only wear my skirts at home, when I'm relaxing. Oh, and I also found the denim miniskirts to be much more comfortable, when I work out.
On a silly/fun note, when I saw the person's name here "franinskirts", I thought it said "frankenskirts". Lol! :lol:
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

RavenTao wrote:On a silly/fun note, when I saw the person's name here "franinskirts", I thought it said "frankenskirts". Lol! :lol:
First of all Welcome to the Skirt Cafe :welcome:

And secondly I resemble that remark!! :laff: :laff: :laff:

Fred :kiltdance:
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

RavenTao wrote:Greetings to all. I am new here. I started out wearing a kilt, out of curiosity, and found I liked it, esspecially in warm weather. But I also found kilts to be heavey, too much material goes into making one. So one day I took a pair of denim jeans, made a straight cut just above the crotch, then washed it. Let me tell you, I loved it. Where as the kilt felt heavy and scratchy on my legs, the denim mini skirt felt wonderful. It was soft and light, and even felt sensuous when I walked. I wore it over to my girlfriend's house. Her friend was there. They had a good laugh, but her friend said I looked good in it. Maybe because of my long hair. I have no desire, though, to wear skirts in public. I don't think I can handle the feeling of self-consciousness. So I only wear my skirts at home, when I'm relaxing. Oh, and I also found the denim miniskirts to be much more comfortable, when I work out.
On a silly/fun note, when I saw the person's name here "franinskirts", I thought it said "frankenskirts". Lol!
So, if you could go out in public wearing a skirt and be fully accepted (not looked-down-upon) would you?

caultron