The Filipino Malong

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Filipino Malong

Post by Judah14 »

Found this article: http://www.philstar.com/fashion-and-bea ... aid-skirts. It mentions that a malong goes nice with the Barong Tagalog (the Filipino men's shirt that is usually worn with slacks), and I myself would want to try it out during formal events requiring a Barong Tagalog to look different. :D
EDIT: Found this picture which shows a man (rightmost) wearing a malong with a Barong Tagalog:
らき☆
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

A man in traditional Maranao attire, which includes a malong:
らき☆
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Simple, flexible, functional, non-constrictive, and weavable in an infinite variety of colors and patterns.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

Malong being worn in the Maranao "Kinakulangan" dance:
Edit: another picture:
らき☆
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

How to wear a malong (video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=limXJkQsOM8
らき☆
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

A man wearing a checkered malong and playing the Maranao version of sipa (picture from http://m.acmaly88.page.tl/MANGA-TULADAN/pic-624.htm):
らき☆
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

Maranao man and woman wearing malongs:
らき☆
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

Sambi sa Malong (a.k.a. Kapa Malong Malong) dance (picture from https://thechildrensark.wordpress.com/t ... -pampanga/):
らき☆
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

And yes, that is another malong in the background, just one of the many ways I can use a malong. I think tube-style garments such as the malong are better than wrap-around rectangles of cloth because they are "closed" so are more secure than "open" wrap-arounds and can be more easily used as a sash, baby sling, storage bag and "dressing room" for changing clothes in public. As for wearing a malong I find knotting it then further securing it with a belt the most comfortable and secure way, and I can put small pouches on the belt for use as "pockets".
らき☆
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

らき☆
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

One way you can use a malong as a shawl:
らき☆
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

A simple malong outfit, similar to what Muslim men wear at the mosque:
And unlike other similar garments worn by men in other Asian countries (such as the lungi, sarong, etc.), the malong is invariably sewn as a tube, never as an open garment.
らき☆
Potbelly MacKraken

Post by Potbelly MacKraken »

Judah,

I'm an American from California and I too love to wear sarongs/malongs/lavalavas as one of my options for my daily skirting attire, etc. Here's a pic of of one of the more recent wrap skirts I made from simple tartan cotton flannel material, 2.5 yards of it. (pics aren't the best as I have no mirror and have to rely on the window in the door)
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_0144.JPG
IMG_0145.JPG
Depending on the length of the material I have or buy, I usually make a pleat either on the inside portion or, like the tartan one above in the pics, I wrap then make an extra wide pleat in the front with the left portion of the material so that it resembles a kilt in the front. Simply roll to secure, as you know. For windy days, which there are plenty of here in my part of California on the beaches, I use a kilt pin to keep it from flying up in the wind. So it's kinda like a cross between a lavalava/malong, etc. and a kilt. Cheap, easy to make, keeps you cool, etc. Only downside is there are no pockets, as you know. For that, I've taken up wearing a side cross purse that has a masculine look to it tho it's a woman's purse, to keep my phone, wallet, keys and everything I need in it. It's just a small little thing, big enough for what I need.

However, if you like, there are more formal lavalavas/wraps that they make for Polynesians, called lavalavas/tupenus/faitaga/sulus, depending on the island/language they speak there, ones that wrap and attach with a belt like system and that have side pockets and a front pocket for money and credit cards and such. Links to those are here:

http://www.1worldsarongs.com/1wf-sulu-brown.html
http://www.tanoasamoa.com/catalog/index ... u475h2l077

Also, another great top to pair with a wrap skirt, whatever you choose to call it, is a guayabera, a shirt very similar to the barong tagalog; it's the Mexican/Hispanic Caribbean version, with a camp collar. comes with embroidery and 4 pockets, very comfortable with a lavalava/malong.

http://www.pennersinc.com/all-products/ ... leeve.html

Keep on skirting, especially in the tropical Philippines!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

For taking the pictures, you could use your camera's timer feature and put it on a surface (such as a table or cabinet) and use a small tripod (such as this one) or if you do not have one, use some objects such as books to stabilize your phone in an upright position to take pictures. Some of my pictures in this thread were taken using this method, and I had to do several takes to get it right.

As to tying a malong, I prefer knotting instead of rolling. As it does not have pockets, I use a laptop bag to put my stuff in. I am considering getting a Maranao-style shirt to go with my malongs, such as what this guy is wearing (which goes with pockets):
らき☆
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Potbelly MacKraken ... Sounds familiar! Are you by any chance related to the Departed Member formerly known as Potbelly MacKraken?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair