German busdrivers wear man skirts.

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Barefoot Joe

Re: German busdrivers wear man skirts.

Post by Barefoot Joe »

partlyscot wrote:I am wondering if the company had a skirt available as a part of the uniform for the ladies, and the lack of women making applications was down to the assumption that they would have to wear skirts?
They had a skirt as part of the uniform for the ladies, but 2011 they found that they need a new modern design and new colors. They made a design challenge in cooperation with Fahmoda academy and three students under lead of Thekla Ahrens made it. In 2013 they tested the new uniforms in all seasons, made some changes and started wearing the new uniforms in 2014. According to pictures here: http://www.haz.de/Hannover/Fotostrecken ... s#n5495260 woman can choose between skirts and trousers.

The male skirts were especially designed for the marketing campaign by the very same designers. They are offering two styles: a classic kilt-like and a modern one with sewed-on pockets: https://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/niedersa ... paltig.jpg

Of course they know that this campaign only is far from being sufficient to attract female drivers. It's just a funny campaign to raise curiosity and show as a cool and modern company. But they are working on other aspects too, to make their jobs more appealing to woman, like offering weekend-only jobs.
If you're always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be.
(Maya Angelou)
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtRevolution »

Maybe we should try contact this company and ask where these skirts can be purchased from. By showing that men are interested in wearing these skirts apart from their compain, they may look at this as a more permanent option for men in their company.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Interesting insight into a Scottish transwoman's fears when going to work as a bus driver for the first time in a skirt:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... al-stories

It begins at 27:30 and it is good to hear such positive reactions from her colleagues - there is no comment at all about the skirt, but they admire her legs.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

That documentary has to be fake. They went all over Scotland, all times of year, and it didn't rain or blow a gale once!

Makes me wonder though, is my desire to wear skirts part of my personality? I'd wanted to do it most of my life. Skirts are more comfortable than trousers, but I can't honestly say that is the only reason I wear them. Watching that programme, I can safely say I have no desire to do what those women have done. In the grand scheme of things, what you wear is not very important - trivial compared with your physical sex. But something made me want to break one of society's hard and fast rules, that men don't wear skirts, enough to put up with all the grief I get from my wife and children about it. I can't say what it is or why I feel this way.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

skirtyscot wrote:...Makes me wonder though, is my desire to wear skirts part of my personality? I'd wanted to do it most of my life...
Apparently so.

I thought about wearing skirts for 20-30 years before actually doing it. What made the difference? Some of it was the current acceptance of utility kilts and haute couture men's skirts which, despite being minuscule, is worlds ahead of ten or twenty years ago. Some of it was this board. Some of it is the freedom, as an old man, to be a crazy old man.

But regardless, it just seems to be part of me.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Couya wrote:With a second look at the original article, it appears that the transport company really did issue a certain number of kilts to the men, and it appears that they have begun wearing them as part of a new uniform.
The outfits were all designed by Thekla Ahrens (fashion designer?) and are part of a campaign to improve the company's image. Whether it will attract women drivers, who can tell? -- though it seems to me that since most women wear trousers, they will opt for the bifurcated version of the uniform, in which case the men drivers are quite likely to keep using their skirts -- to avoid looking like women !!!
A member of the staff claimed that the company was the first to allow men to wear skirts for work, but, to my knowledge, employees of a window-cleaning firm wear kilts, and someone recently started producing beer he calls "men skirt beer" in North America, and there are hotels where doormen wear non-traditional, non-tartan kilts in Scotland.

Martin
A few years agor there was a beerbrewery namend Welde where the employees were fitted with a kilt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn4N_P1UAcQ
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Caultron wrote:
skirtyscot wrote:...Makes me wonder though, is my desire to wear skirts part of my personality? I'd wanted to do it most of my life...
Apparently so.

I thought about wearing skirts for 20-30 years before actually doing it. What made the difference? Some of it was the current acceptance of utility kilts and haute couture men's skirts which, despite being minuscule, is worlds ahead of ten or twenty years ago. Some of it was this board. Some of it is the freedom, as an old man, to be a crazy old man.

But regardless, it just seems to be part of me.
Ironically, my interest in skirts developed over a pretty short time, like a year or so. Then I tried it and found out the universe didn't implode because of it. It took me considerably longer to go public, though. Then I found out that I wasn't to be burned at the stake for my fashion heresy. As Caultron suggested, freedom comes with age, and so does courage for some of us. And, like Caultron, it is now a part of me.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...