Interesting men's fashion fall/winter 2015

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Interesting men's fashion fall/winter 2015

Post by janrok »

Here is a youtube video that will open your eyes and mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFWC5St ... e=youtu.be
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Interesting men's fashion fall/winter 2015

Post by dillon »

Though I understand that runway fashion is about the artistic vision of the designer, it would sure be nice if, just once, a designer would challenge the fashion establishment with alternative (unbifurcated) menswear that was actually practical and designed to be marketed. As for this showing, I was not impressed with all the geometric design. It's really far from anything I would ever call stylish. Just my opinion.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

dillon wrote:Though I understand that runway fashion is about the artistic vision of the designer, it would sure be nice if, just once, a designer would challenge the fashion establishment with alternative (unbifurcated) menswear that was actually practical and designed to be marketed. ...
I don't know, I thought that was a pretty good effort; many of those dresses and skirts looked quite practical and smart. It was only a few years ago that the male models in skirts were deliberately made to look absolutely outrageous or utterly ridiculous, but some of the models in that show could walk straight out on the streets and barely attract a second glance.

Add some discrete but practical pockets, use reasonably hard-wearing material and publish a few positive articles in women's fashion magazines. It wouldn't be long before enough women persuaded their men to try it - and that would start the ball rolling.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Reaper_Man
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Reaper_Man »

dillon wrote:Though I understand that runway fashion is about the artistic vision of the designer, it would sure be nice if, just once, a designer would challenge the fashion establishment with alternative (unbifurcated) menswear that was actually practical and designed to be marketed. As for this showing, I was not impressed with all the geometric design. It's really far from anything I would ever call stylish. Just my opinion.
I have to agree ... i wouldn't even consider wearing any of that stuff, it's not stylish in any way shape or form
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

IMO, SOME of the coats and skirts would be very workable.
The long leather coat over a dress shirt and kilt would be
fantastic. The designer is trying to open peoples eyes to the
concept of Men in Skirts/Dresses. A couple of the dresses
weren't to bad. Just don't like the designers color pallet.
Kind of drab and dreary.

That's my $.02 worth ;)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

pelmut wrote:
dillon wrote:Though I understand that runway fashion is about the artistic vision of the designer, it would sure be nice if, just once, a designer would challenge the fashion establishment with alternative (unbifurcated) menswear that was actually practical and designed to be marketed. ...
I don't know, I thought that was a pretty good effort; many of those dresses and skirts looked quite practical and smart. It was only a few years ago that the male models in skirts were deliberately made to look absolutely outrageous or utterly ridiculous, but some of the models in that show could walk straight out on the streets and barely attract a second glance.

Add some discrete but practical pockets, use reasonably hard-wearing material and publish a few positive articles in women's fashion magazines. It wouldn't be long before enough women persuaded their men to try it - and that would start the ball rolling.
I agree with Pelmut. I thought many of them were pretty good too. We've seen various skirts and dresses for men paraded down the cat-walks over the last few years. Nearly all of them have been completely inappropriate for everyday street-wear by the moderately adventurous man. But many of these latest examples are sufficiently restrained and practical to be OK. I'd wear some of them. Hope they make it to the high street shops (but I'm not holding my breath!).
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Stevie - I agree on both points, mate. These are sensible and wearable garments (although for younger guys than us, I reckon), but I fear we'll only see them on the catwalk and never in the stores.

Stu
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I don't know how influential this guy Edmund Ooi is, but at least he's espousing skirts for men, and perhaps that will flow somehow and to some extent into the mainstream.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

To agree with a lot of what's been said, these outfits are definately more pratcial than others we've seen over the years. I'd say most of them could be wore in public without "frightening the horses".

My one point here is socks and shoes. Is that really the way forward? I think ditch the socks and have some different shoes to accessorise the outfits.
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

The dresses looked OK and I have to confess that I rather liked some of the jackets and coats. I even think that the shoes and socks looked OK but that may be a consequence of the poor lighting that made them virtually indistinguishable from tall boots.

What a shame that some of the models looked so uncomfortable (a couple seemed to be about to burst into tears and others could not wait to get off the cat walk).

Oh well, it's progress from the truly outlandish stuff we were seeing a few years ago. I havever e not heard of Edmund ooi before, but I'll keep half an eye open now; you never know, he may do something really good one day.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

Ooi is the Dutch word for a female sheep so I guess all his designs are made of pure wool :lol:
ooi1851-5560.jpg
Jan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I guess the point I failed to make is that we have had a number of links to runway fashion that prominently featured men's dresses and skirts, yet it really never seems to advance it as daily fashion. It frustrates me that a man in a skirt is still just some attention-getting curiosity of the runway, like a carnival sideshow. And I do agree that the dresses featured in this show, sans the bizarrely crafted jackets,etc., were among the more "wearable" that I have seen, though they weren't really my cup o' tea. When will a clothier of name take the male skirt to a level that isn't freakish or just some symbolic artpiece? That's all I'm asking... If it represents their vision, put it on the market.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Skirts have been shown on the mens runway fashions for many years now. Men are very conservative when it comes to fashion, they want to blend in with the crowd thus the men wear a standard uniform and a skirts are not part of that uniform. Hell you don't see women wearing them much anymore.

It cost money to create ready to wear and ship them to the stores, they just wont make that investment into a clothing item that they don't know will sell so you can forget ever seeing a skirt in a mens department or store.

Those of use that enjoy wearing skirts will have to continue to shop in the womens department and be the odd ball man wearing a skirt, such is our lot in life.

:ugeek:
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

phathack wrote:Skirts have been shown on the mens runway fashions for many years now. Men are very conservative when it comes to fashion, they want to blend in with the crowd thus the men wear a standard uniform and a skirts are not part of that uniform. Hell you don't see women wearing them much anymore.

It cost money to create ready to wear and ship them to the stores, they just wont make that investment into a clothing item that they don't know will sell so you can forget ever seeing a skirt in a mens department or store.

Those of use that enjoy wearing skirts will have to continue to shop in the womens department and be the odd ball man wearing a skirt, such is our lot in life.

:ugeek:
That's my gripe. If they aren't serious about dresses and skirts as men's fashion, then don't put stuff on show that by implication equates us men who are serious about skirts as daily wear with garish freaks. For all the good they do my goals, they might as well parade drag queens. They aren't doing me any favors by presenting stuff that was never intended to be taken seriously. That's generally why I don't care for runway fashion. Even if its interesting, it probably hurts us as much as helps us.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Here are several gripes about the show:

1. Why do the models have to have such dour sad expressions?
2. Why are the colors so drab?
3. As far as skirts are concerned, why not have coat and tie outfits with skirts and shortened jackets that would fit into the wardrobe of a businessman?
4. Why do the models wearing skirts have such clodhoppers for shoes? Ghillie shoes that go along with kilts have a lighter appearance than most men's dress shoes.
dillon wrote:. For all the good they do my goals, they might as well parade drag queens
The models would look a hell of a lot better if they paraded as drag queens. :D

John