design?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
jorgovan45

Re: design?

Post by jorgovan45 »

What about this, too feminine or no? http://www.reddressboutique.com/bottoms ... size-chart
Pal

Post by Pal »

I don't think you can use fabric like the one you suggest for a cone skirt. I believe the fabric is cut in an arc, like a circle skirt, so you need to use a plain fabric or a random pattern. A horizontal pattern would become vertical half way round the skirt.
jorgovan45

Post by jorgovan45 »

I dont need that exact pattern, just something similar...can be done right?
jorgovan45

Post by jorgovan45 »

I thought tyhat was a cone...so what pattern IS that?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

jorgovan45 wrote:I thought tyhat was a cone...so what pattern IS that?
It looks more like a modified cylinder than anything else with most of the "modification" being the taking in of the waistline to allow the thing to stay up on the wearer.

The problem with the illustration is that it doesn't reveal the construction technique of the skirt. Does it have gores to allow for a fuller cut closer to the hem than the waistline? Is it made of a very stretchy fabric so that if it is a cylinder (a "pencil" skirt) can it provide enough leg movement for actual walking? If it has gores, how many does it have (this affects the shape of the skirt and how well any print pattern will match up on the finished garment.

At this juncture I'd recommend picking up a book on elementary sewing and giving it a good read; that'll give you a foundation to build on. Recall that the tailor's (and the designer's) ultimate job is to create objects which are three-dimensional (just like people) which people can wear and which will look good and feel good to the wearer. Fabric, of course, is two-dimensional -- the genius is in making the jump from 2 to 3.

The number of types of skirts that can be constructed is literally only limited to the imagination of the designer and whether those ideas can be realized in the real world. You've got A-line skirts (so named because they flare like the namesake letter); full- and half-circle skirts (which have very different amounts of flare to them when in motion); there are "pencil skirts" which are largely cylindrical; and depending on how one wants to vary the cut of gores on an A-line skirt, one can produce very interesting constructions such as trumpet skirts (so named because they look like the output-end of a trumpet). "Tiered" (or "gypsy") skirts are a riff on A-lines save that instead of using gores to provide the flair they use differing lengths of fixed-width fabric comprising the tiers to provide the flair necessary for walking.

So, an assertion of, "I have a slate-grey nylon-rayon hybrid skirt on order" doesn't yield enough data to really make much commentary on. Is it an A-line, pencil, tiered, circle-, or semi- circle design? Each of those would need different treatment. (I must admit, I really like that highly-stylized embroidered eagle motif! If you have Welsh blood, an embroidered Welsh dragon might resonate with you; or, if English, perhaps a lion-rampant.)

Dream first, then think, then execute. Trust me, it's a lot easier that way!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
jorgovan45

Post by jorgovan45 »

oooh nw that you mention imagination...i'm gonna veer off the slate and go with a tiger skirt!!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

jorgovan45 wrote:Getting a custom tailolred skirt, tailor coming Sunday. I know I want slate but plain slate=boring...what kinda design can i put on the skirt without looking too feminine?
Probably should've asked early on, but:

1) What specifications do you have in mind? I know, slate nylon/rayon, but what else? Like, what length, what style?

2) It seems unusual for the tailor to come to your house on a Sunday. How did that come about? Why not visit him during the week at his shop?

3) On what occasions do you plan to wear this skirt? A wedding? Around town? At work? Only at home?

4) Is the tailor artistic and do you trust his judgement? How much leeway will you give him to finalize the design?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
jorgovan45

Post by jorgovan45 »

Caultron wrote:
jorgovan45 wrote:Getting a custom tailolred skirt, tailor coming Sunday. I know I want slate but plain slate=boring...what kinda design can i put on the skirt without looking too feminine?
Probably should've asked early on, but:

1) What specifications do you have in mind? I know, slate nylon/rayon, but what else? Like, what length, what style?

2) It seems unusual for the tailor to come to your house on a Sunday. How did that come about? Why not visit him during the week at his shop?

3) On what occasions do you plan to wear this skirt? A wedding? Around town? At work? Only at home?

4) Is the tailor artistic and do you trust his judgement? How much leeway will you give him to finalize the design?
1...I changed my mind, getting a tiger skirt, maxi like this...https://www.etsy.com/listing/109751103/ ... print-silk
2. I'm handicapped and can't drive if you must know. Sunday was the only day she was avail.
3. Just a home skirt until I get comfortable
4. *t's a she and yes...we will be working on the design together..so it's not her alone
jorgovan45

Post by jorgovan45 »

Ging no zip, tiger skirt and deep pockets! Can't wait till Sunday for the measurement, then I order the fabrics...nylon/rayon on my bottom...can't wait!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

jorgovan45 wrote:2. I'm handicapped and can't drive if you must know. Sunday was the only day she was avail.
Sorry, I didn't mean to be intrusive. You asked for advice and so I was just trying to understand the situation.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
jorgovan45

Post by jorgovan45 »

jorgovan45

Post by jorgovan45 »

Just looked at the skirt specs and it's wayyy tooo small...can tailor fix it?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

jorgovan45 wrote:Just looked at the skirt specs and it's wayyy tooo small...can tailor fix it?
If it's too large, then it can almost certainly be altered; however, if too small, all depends on how much fabric is left over at the seams so that it can be "let out". If it's "way too small", the odds are "no" unless identical fabric can be found to fill gaps.
jorgovan45

Post by jorgovan45 »

I can buy more fabric, no?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

jorgovan45 wrote:I can buy more fabric, no?
You might be able to, but you'd have to find it in the same colour (frequently dye-lot as those vary from lot to lot) and, if a print, in the same print. That, in a nutshell, will be a crap-shoot.

If buying something from afar when you don't have a chance to try it on it's best to "go large" (err on the side of caution) as that way alterations are fairly simple to bring it in to your size. Trying to "enlarge" a too-small garment is usually a non-starter given modern manufacturing techniques.

My usual suggestion tends to be to ignore the waist size in women's charts and -- for a guy -- focus on the hip measurement. Pick the smallest hip measurement that'll actually get over your hips -- especially for elastic-waist skirts -- and it'll usually work. At least it has for me, and even then I've found myself tightening waistband-elastics to make the things stay where I want them to.

Women's sizing is a black art at best, and a confusing morass at worst. As my wife once put it, "It's trial by fitting room."