Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by skirtyscot »

I was with the family, so shorts were the order of the day.

I did make a couple of skirted trips to local shops with Hazel during our Spanish holiday. According to her, the red skirt shown in your thread about our little get-together in Torremolinos attracted a fair amount of stares, comment, etc. Not surprising really - it is a very noticeable colour and shape.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Wim Jansma

Post by Wim Jansma »

skirtyscot wrote:Tangiers, Morocco, last Thursday. Bazillions of men in djellabas. It is perfectly normal.

Mind yo u, I'm not sure what they'd have made of a man in a skirt, if I had been wearing one.
A few years ago my wife and I were on our holydays in Libanon, Syria and Jordanie.
As you know, I always wear very short shorts. So I went in every new town to the reception of our hotel and asked them if I could go downtown with such few clothes. The answer was always: you are a man and you can go like this everywhere you like. Only if you visit a mosque, you have to ask for a piece of cloth to hide your naked legs !
And my wife, I asked again. Can she have such a short short and a little shirt?
Yes he said, but only when she stays close to you. Never let she walk alone.

And nobody ever give us any trouble. And so it was in Egypt, Maroc and Tunesia.
But I never had the courage to wear a skirt in those countrys.

Wim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Max Caswell

Post by Max Caswell »

Wim Jansma wrote:
skirtyscot wrote: Only if you visit a mosque, you have to ask for a piece of cloth to hide your naked legs !
And my wife, I asked again. Can she have such a short short and a little shirt?
Yes he said, but only when she stays close to you. Never let she walk alone.

Wim
Moses stated you needed a "breechcloth"under your robe when approaching the altar. That's what I tell anyone going to church kilted...undies.
Hello all from the highlands of the San Luis Valley, Colorado
Wim Jansma

Post by Wim Jansma »

Max Caswell wrote:........... "breechcloth"................
Difficult to find this word in my dictionairy, but finaly found !
In my language it's called "lendedoek".
Adam and Eve used a figleave ....!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

If a shot of a rather large sunburnt bloke with two heavy bags on the Boston "T" shows up on Farcebook or Twitter in the next couple of days that'll probably be me. I was wearing a red Macabi skirt and carrying two black/blue bags, one of which is a right proper "Indybag" from Silicon Graphics. It'll probably be posted with some sarcastic comments about a "guy in a skirt".

I was in the midst of my second transfer on the Boston Underground to the railhead where there would be a train to take me home following a calamitous sailing "adventure" and was I no mood to be approached, much less photographed. However, I spied at least one surreptitious flash from an iPhone with the lens pointed in my direction; I glared at the perpetrator and smiled. The hope is that I looked properly menacing.

Idiots. If they'd only asked.

On the other hand, I did get a plea from a professional photographer to have me sit for a portrait in one of my new(ish) ruffled shirts. Life is sometimes very queer indeed.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I've just read a report in 'Der Spiegel' on the opening of a 'Metalheads' festival in Wacken, a small village in Schlesweg Holstein in North Germany.

It would appear there that anything goes, as far a male apparel is concerned. Attached are three examples:

Tom.
Kilts in Hamburg heavy metal meet.jpg
Skirted male in supermarket.jpg
skirted males at metal festival.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
norstdresses
Member Extraordinaire

Post by norstdresses »

I know this festival in Wacken. It is opened by the local traditional band of the village. It is a very peaceful event and the population participate actively in hosting the heavy metal fans. lots of skirted men are there
JamieB

Post by JamieB »

Last Saturday was the World Pipe Band Chapionships in Glasgow. As well as over 1500 band members weaing their kilts in a large variety of tartans or plain colours, there were thousands of spectators, a large number of whom were wearing tartan kilts.
I did see a few non traditional kilts worn by quite a numbe of men as well as some women (who would normally be wearing skirts.)
Wee Scottie Dog
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Wim Jansma wrote: Adam and Eve used a figleave ....!
According to the French version, they wore vine leaves!

Martin
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Wim Jansma wrote:...As you know, I always wear very short shorts. So I went in every new town to the reception of our hotel and asked them if I could go downtown with such few clothes. The answer was always: you are a man and you can go like this everywhere you like. Only if you visit a mosque, you have to ask for a piece of cloth to hide your naked legs ! ...
Wim
I recall once many years ago (maybe 30+ years ago) on a holiday to Greece where we went on an organised tour round the island we were on. At the time I too wore short shorts and no-one was bothered as that was the fashion at the time.

... Until we came to the church we were visiting. At the entrance, I was given a wrap-round skirt to "hide my legs" before I could enter the place. It came down to about mid-shin but nobody was concerned or bothered. Others (women) already had long skirts and/or trousers whilst several other men were also required to wear a skirt (those who weren't already wearing trousers that is). So thinking back, perhaps that is my first public and only skirt-wearing outing with MOH.

Pity I didn't take it up further then but at the time, skirts on men were "taboo" due to social pressures and indeed not even on the radar.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Speaking of shorts, I came across this ebay entry today and just don't see much point in them. Cheap enough tough and look to have decent pockets but made of a material that stretches easily.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sapphire-Colo ... 51c2cbf477

The leg width is so great that they offer no advantage over wearing a simple skirt although they would appear to be a skirt to anyone seeing a person wearing them. If you'll forgive the mental image, legs apart and they would hide nothing.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

I do not know what strange risqué garment you found, Dennis, but I was told : "Unfortunately, access to this particular item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in some countries. We are blocking your viewing in an effort to prevent restricted items from being displayed."
What country do they think I am living in, Saudi Arabia?
Martin
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

19780_b3.jpg
Mrtn, This is the garment in question. Actually it doesn't look so bad here - looked worse in the main picture.

Dennis
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Thank you, Dennis.
Not really my style -- I don't think my legs can be quite as long as that lassie's !!!
but I wonder why the pics were blocked and by whom, as this is a very common style for those few young ladies that actually wear skirts (if that is a skirt).

Martin
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Mrtn, The garment is actually a pair of shorts with very wide leg holes - more culottes width. I must admit that from that view for a man wearing them it would be very difficult to tell whether he was wearing a skirt or shorts.