Do folks notice or not?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Do folks notice or not?

Post by dillon »

There is a difference between noticing and reacting. When I am skirted, I can see people look, even if no one says anything. After all, WE notice. This forum has an entire thread dedicated to the skirted men we observe. I agree with Martin on this question.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
norstdresses
Member Extraordinaire

Post by norstdresses »

yes dillon, there is definitively a difference between get noticed and receive reaction. Here in Botswana the people ask me after a while, if the dress what I am wearing my culture?. Than I respond that yes and nothing else happens.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

dillon wrote:... WE notice. This forum has an entire thread dedicated to the skirted men we observe.
Yes, but it doesn't tell us how many of the skirted men who are out there get noticed by us. For that we would also need a thread on skirted men we missed!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

norstdresses wrote:yes dillon, there is definitively a difference between get noticed and receive reaction. Here in Botswana the people ask me after a while, if the dress what I am wearing my culture?. Than I respond that yes ...
Liar liar, pants on fire!
norstdresses wrote:... and nothing else happens.
Because people know that in some cultures men wear skirts or dresses, and readily accept that there is nothing wrong with it. Or even if they think such a culture is odd, they don't want to show disrespect to you and your culture by saying so. Very few people, even among the most visceral opponents of men's skirts, would argue that it is wrong for a man to wear a sarong or a lavalava in a country where they are normal menswear.

An ankle-length skirt is unmissable. I sometimes wonder if people think a man in a long skirt must be a member of some religious order, i.e. a culture where men's skirts are normal, so they refrain from staring or asking about it. Have any of you ever been asked about that?

My choir is doing an exchange visit with a choir from Amersfoort, in the Netherlands. We were there last weekend and I wore my ankle-length brown cord skirt most of the time. Some members of the Dutch choir asked me about my skirt, including whether it was related to wearing a kilt or normal in Scotland for men to wear long skirts. I went for the honest approach - "no" - and gave the usual reasons of comfort, variety, if it's OK for women it's OK for men, etc. Why should I lie? Besides, by saying why I think men - all men - should wear skirts, I am more likely to get other men to try it than if I make out it is something for a particular group only.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

skirtyscot wrote:An ankle-length skirt is unmissable. I sometimes wonder if people think a man in a long skirt must be a member of some religious order, i.e. a culture where men's skirts are normal, so they refrain from staring or asking about it. Have any of you ever been asked about that?
Yes, while on a cruise in the Mediterranean. I wore sarongs all the time and a lady asked if it was for religious reasons. I gave the usual answer - comfort, cool etc. She was happy and agreed with me.

Charlie
Last edited by Charlie on Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

The local fruit and vegetable shop owner, who comes from Lebanon, asked if I wore a skirt for religious reasons, my answer was no I wore skirts for comfort and I believe men should have greater choice in what they can wear.

John
norstdresses
Member Extraordinaire

Post by norstdresses »

Especially when I am wearing long black dresses the people like to ask if this dress has something to do with my religion. Than I answer No its just for comfort
back from work wearing my black long dress.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jeanfor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jeanfor »

I think it is a good think that people notice so they can get accustomed to see men in skirts. I do wear kilts, kilt like skirts and pleated skirts. And often I get the famous "are you Scottish?", by which I respond "No, I am French!" I never get any negative comments and it seems that people have a very positive attitude about it, but I have yet to see a man in skirt in my area in PA.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

jeanfor wrote:?.. often I get the famous "are you Scottish?", by which I respond "No, I am French!"...
I used to reply, "No, but I drank some once," but lately I've just been telling them, "No," and watching their reaction.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
JoeBro

Post by JoeBro »

There was a time I was waiting to see someone else wearing a kilt before I'd wear mine. As that wasn't forthcoming I started to wear my kilts and was more comfortable for it. I wanted to get positive reaction for it. Sometimes they received reaction, sometimes not. I have come to the point that whether or not I get reaction doesn't matter, only my comfort. You can't be self concious about it. Most will notice but don't care. Some will comment, one way or the other. Comfort matters.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

I was paying for groceries in a local shop, wearing my 'invisible' denim skirt (the one that nobody seems to notice), when there was a shriek from behind me, followed by stifled giggles from two teenage girls. I pretended not to notice and the shop owner just looked slightly puzzled, probably because the counter prevented him from seeing my skirt and he had no idea why they had reacted that way.

The question is: had they reacted to the skirt itself, or had they assumed I was a woman and then been shocked to realise their mistake? From the way they reacted, I suspect the latter. Once again it shows that in most people's minds 'Skirt' automatically means 'Woman'.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

pelmut wrote: ... stifled giggles from two teenage girls ... had they assumed I was a woman and then been shocked to realise their mistake? From the way they reacted, I suspect the latter.
I would have said the opposite. Teenagers seem to have more firmly fixed ideas about people than their elders, and do not like to see anyone stepping out of line. Added to which, they have not learnt any self control and do not worry about hurting other people,s feelings with inconsiderate giggling. I am quite sure those girls were not shocked because of their mistake.

Martin
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

I live in a street with many schools. I thus encounter many teenagers, although it's best to take cover during the flood twice a day (schools in, schools out), but can't say any, from the girls' school oppisite me, or the boys' school further down the road that anyone takes the slightest notice as I waft by in my dresses. Other than greetings, which I am pleased to acknowledge.
I do get the impression, however, that an expanded view of society is taught in those schools.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

In fact teenagers are more likely to conform to the latest fad or fashion since they DON'T want to seem out of step with their peers. I was no different with my long hair, flowered shirts/ties. cowbells and so on - it was the sixties and flower power. Conformity and acceptance seemed overwhelmingly strong then - almost as strong as my desire NOT to conform now. Yet my non-conformity seems to have acceptance of those around me ( with the exception of the one that's closest to me ) and I have not come across any other form of ridicule or rejection.

I had a talk with my youngest son's partner yesterday ( I was wearing a pale blue above the knee skirt at the time ) and she offered lots of encouragement and told me that she has no problem with my skirt wearing but not to wear one at a job interview - not that I would anyway. With MOH she has said not to wear a skirt while she is around so I will respect that but I will wear one in and out of the house while she is not around as I see fit. She has not asked me not to do this so two negatives making a positive ...! Eventually, if everyone else knows then it knocks out a large part of her objection. I have to go shopping tomorrow to get a set of mudguards for my bike and I shall naturally go skirted. Anyway the weather is much too warm at the moment for anything else.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Reactions.
Normally, I get few stares and no comments in the street.
Yesterday as I was going out, a somewhat elderly Spanish couple asked if I was Scottish, to which I find it easier to answer "yes", since this is more likely to lead to conversation than an abrupt "no". And indeed, a friendly exchange ensued wherein I learned where their daughter lived and how she had married a Scot!

Later, as I returned to the town centre after a walk along the beach, a party of about 20 young men sitting on a café terrace (already quite noisy celebrating with lots of beer) raised a great hullabaloo as I approached, so noisy that I could not tell what language they used, or say whether it was approval or revilement, but they did not look aggressive at all. One got up and took my arm as if to accompany me home, but I just told him he was not my type, and walked on.
It would be interesting to work out how big a party has to be before anyone can pluck up the courage to make comments. with such an uproar, the rest of the street could hardly pretend not to notice me or my clothing (white t-shirt and short denim skirt), but that was the end of the story.
Nice to be noticed for once, and it could have been fun to join the party, but I did not feel up to facing such a crowd all at once.

Martin