How do you become skirt wearing

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: How do you become skirt wearing

Post by crfriend »

BBB wrote:It is a funny old world and I cannot wait to see us freed from restrictive dress code convention.
In practice no one notices and the few people who comment are very positive.
We may be closer to that point than anybody realizes. The only overtly negative reactions I've ever been on the receiving end of have been friends having a go at me (I give as good as I get, so that's not a worry.) or considered advice from my wife ("You look like a gorilla in a dress!").

I picked up a nice compliment the other evening when I was wearing my red velvet skirt, fancy black waistcoat, and burgundy silk sheer-sleeved blouse: "I like the way you're dressed!" from a young woman who was with a jeans-wearing boyfriend/husband, and whom looked so ordinary I cannot remember. The woman, however, is likely to remember her pleasant but quick interaction with a bloke in a skirt for some time to come.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Oops! I did it again!

http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtop ... 71#p136171

Also got a black swim-skirt to use when visiting my friend with the pool. Will likely wear a white t-shirt with it rather than subject the family to my waistline.

Wanted the light blue/turquoise one but they only had the black and a bright orange one in.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

My preliminary investigations came as a pre-teen when I developed a fascination with female undergarments, with slips and half-slips being my favorites. Over the years, the erotic quality of the sheer fabrics transformed into a desire to express a measure of femininity while being 100% happy being male. I have never had the slightest interest presenting as a woman and reject the label of cross-dresser. But I have a lot of women's shorts, jeans, and tops in my wardrobe, most not overtly feminine.

Skirting began thanks to two positive impulses. One was going on a hike a decade ago, in which one of the guys wore a short plaid skirt (an informal kilt, I guess); I was instantly envious. The following year, on a similar hike, I had a simple, very plain skirt on and that was my first time in public. The second positive impulse was [sound trumpet fanfare] Skirt Café! I found Skirtcafe looking at various websites about crossdresssing, skirt wearing, and mixing male and female clothes. I found all of you kindred spirits and was encouraged to go out and buy some skirts and kilts and get out there and enjoy life skirted. Three Mountain Hardwear offerings, one for men and two for women, were my first everyday skirts and provided a painless way to integrate skirts into what friends and family see me wear.

The tactile feeling of skirts and the high level of comfort are the primary benefits for me, but I also very much enjoy the counterculture aspect, the change-the-conventional-wisdom aspect, of skirting; and the fashion freedom statement ("it's OK for guys to wear things mostly associated with women", or "It's OK to wear whatever you want"). Now we just have to increase the momentum and help the movement grow.

And, NH Dan, I also wonder "what took me so long?"
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
mikel

Post by mikel »

Greeting from New Hampshire
It's good to find another skirt wearer up here where snow boots and ski pants have been the accepted dress code for the past five months. During the coldest weather, I wear my ankle length fleece skirt with ski tights underneath.
I started skirt wearing about 5 years ago wearing my Irish clan kilt that was a present from my wife. She fully accepted that the kilt was appropriate to wear at the Highland Games held in Lincoln, NH. However, I often go to Scottish Country Dances and Contra Dances with my kilt and her acceptance had broaden. Mostly, when she heard others complementing me on my looks. Over the past 2 years, I have acquired knee length skirts of various styles. These skirts I love to wear more often and enjoy pairing them with various tops. I have come to accept that she would rather that I wear pants but knows that I enjoy skirt wearing and has come grudgingly to accept my taste. It has been a long journey as most forum members will attest to. I still haven't found the acceptance from my grown children sigh!
So welcome to the forum and someday if you see a kilt wearer hiking in the White Mountains, ask for Mike. It might be me!
Danny

Post by Danny »

NH Dan wrote:As mentioned in my introduction, I am new here, trying to figure out the lay-of-the-land so to speak or, how to navigate this site. Another thing about me is that I am an observer (voyeur) of life and always trying to figure out why one does what they do. I am that person that will sit in a park or mall (clothed) and try to figure people out. When I am driving to an out of the way nudist gathering I imagine that mostly everyone on the road with me is going to the same place but that is never the case.
Okay, I am taking too long getting to the point. Again as I mentioned in my introduction, I have been doing a lot of sole searching recently and this site is tying it all together-what took me soo long. I couldn't figure out if I was a CD or bisexual or just to feminine because I like to wear skirts. Well, I just like to wear skirts and I still enjoy the beauty of women and can now admire or desire their skirts even more. So how did everybody else come to realize that they just liked to wear skirts ?
I can go on and on how during my life I have been accused of being gay or feminite and now I am starting to understand why people would think this. Many stories but I will try to stick to the question for today.
I kinda felt the same as you, although I knew I wasn't bi-sexual or anything like that, but I didn't know what was going on with me as to "why" i preferred skirts. Was something wrong with me? Was this some psychological issue I needed to figure out? At the end of the day, I realized that if I was to simply answer the question why.. my answer was-- I just felt more comfortable in them. They were simply more practical to wear while lounging around...and yes, I prefer to "feel the breeze" so-to-speak on a summer day. LOL.

I began to realize that the reason why I felt confused by it was because of social standards. Meaning, westernized society was telling me that skirts are for women, not for men. That's where my confusion began. Then I realized (and researched) that men have been wearing skirts for hundreds of years before women (Women wearing mostly dresses). The whole thing is ridiculous! What does it matter if a couple inches of material close the middle or not? It doesn't and it shouldn't.
Look at trousers and women. The same issue was women wanting to wear trousers and the social backlash they got at first. Now, women in trousers, is nothing. No one thinks anything of it.

I'm a married man and have no desire to look like a women or be one. I'm not speaking for others, just myself. It's not a sexual thing in my case, it's just simply an issue of comfort. I just prefer to wear skirts. The whole thing, in my opinion, is so silly. I definitely do not look like a women in a skirt, but people would still call it cross-dressing. Frustrates me, as I've expressed many times on this forum before.

Having said all this... I do not wear skirts in public. Only in doors. While I think social standards on this topic are ridiculous and silly, I just don't have the guts to go outside in a skirt. I'm kinda of an average joe and don't like attention, so the fear of looks, stares, social whippings and whatever else keeps me from stepping outside. (Those are fears in my head that I have to battle). That's one of the reason I joined this forum, to hear other stories, ideas and so forth. Many here have been very understanding, welcoming and encouraging. I did make a few "small" steps in this area, but nothing outright as bold as others here. Although, for me, it felt like big steps. lol
I'm lucky to have a wife who thinks as I do and supports my right to wear what I want.

Anyways, welcome to the forum and I hope your interactions are as positive as mine have been. :D
-Danny
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Danny wrote:...I do not wear skirts in public. Only in doors. While I think social standards on this topic are ridiculous and silly, I just don't have the guts to go outside in a skirt. I'm kinda of an average joe and don't like attention, so the fear of looks, stares, social whippings and whatever else keeps me from stepping outside. (Those are fears in my head that I have to battle). That's one of the reason I joined this forum, to hear other stories, ideas and so forth. Many here have been very understanding, welcoming and encouraging. I did make a few "small" steps in this area, but nothing outright as bold as others here. Although, for me, it felt like big steps. lol
As I'm sure others (or maybe even I) have told you, just do it. I promise there won't be any circles of laughing gawkers, fashion police, or black helicopters. Maybe a few disapproving looks, but you can't please everybody. Put up a good front. Be friendly and confident. Have a well-coordinated outfit. Start with something "masculine" like a utility kilt or a knee-length denim skirt that accommodates a men's belt. Travel enough distance from home that nobody knows you. Plan short stops so you can get out quickly if you lose your nerve. Or search for a crowded place to get lost in the crowd. Be yourself because, like, who else can you be?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Danny

Post by Danny »

Caultron wrote:
Danny wrote:...I do not wear skirts in public. Only in doors. While I think social standards on this topic are ridiculous and silly, I just don't have the guts to go outside in a skirt. I'm kinda of an average joe and don't like attention, so the fear of looks, stares, social whippings and whatever else keeps me from stepping outside. (Those are fears in my head that I have to battle). That's one of the reason I joined this forum, to hear other stories, ideas and so forth. Many here have been very understanding, welcoming and encouraging. I did make a few "small" steps in this area, but nothing outright as bold as others here. Although, for me, it felt like big steps. lol
As I'm sure others (or maybe even I) have told you, just do it. I promise there won't be any circles of laughing gawkers, fashion police, or black helicopters. Maybe a few disapproving looks, but you can't please everybody. Put up a good front. Be friendly and confident. Have a well-coordinated outfit. Start with something "masculine" like a utility kilt or a knee-length denim skirt that accommodates a men's belt. Travel enough distance from home that nobody knows you. Plan short stops so you can get out quickly if you lose your nerve. Or search for a crowded place to get lost in the crowd. Be yourself because, like, who else can you be?
Thanks for the encouraging words. Believe it or not, those few "small steps" felt like big accomplishments for me. I recognize it's more of a battle in my head than anything else as I'm sure others have come to recognize. Little steps here and there... At least it's still progress I suppose, but the battle wages on! lol

Thanks again, Caultron.
-Danny