Scottish Independence - to be or not to be?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Scottish Independence - to be or not to be?

Post by skirtingtoday »

Grok,
There have been for some years non-tartan kilts available in Scotland - generally tourist shops. Even more recently there are more available in main-stream kilt retailers such as http://www.heritageofscotland.com/Casua ... xhEx87WBvK have a few non-tartan (black, tan or camouflage) Utilitikilts.

Ebay has more, a quick search gives - http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat ... ilt&_rdc=1 and gives further colours such as red, white and leather. I know of a member here who has purchased the red one.

The "Nukilt" is a name coined by one member here and is still I believe unique and looks great.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Roll on the continuous disintegration.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Thanks for the links, skirting today. Noticed the use of the term "casual kilt." Actually, the most interesting kilt variation I have seen is the Nukilt. Very distinctive look for an individual.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

As for the other Celtic nations, I recall that a kilted gentleman in Wales was posting to X Marks. There was even a reference to a kilted gentleman in Britanny.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Did you know that Scottish Gaelic can be used in communication between Scottish ministers and EU officials? That power was granted in 2009 and is similar to that for Wales which was granted in 2008. 8)

As far as I am aware, they are not yet included in the "official" EU language list (currently stands at 23) but meetings can be held in Gaelic if desired and answers received in that language.

Not sure if that availability has been tried out yet but it is at least recognition of the language in Europe.

BTW Scottish Gaelic which is mainly spoken in the Highlands, is not to be confused with "Scots" (sometimes called "Lallands" or "Lowland Scots") which is the language of Rabbie Burns. That is a derivative of English and is of Germanic origin. And both are quite dissimilar to Doric, spoken in NE Scotland, and is more Scandinavian in origin.

And that's without all the local dialects... (thinking Glaswegian here particularly)... :D
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels