FOOD - is it the number 1 killer in the world?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Re: FOOD - is it the number 1 killer in the world?

Post by skirtingtoday »

Here is an article from the BBC on different types of fat. Basically brown fat is good for you, white fat is bad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18996076

Whilst this food or that food is better/healthier etc for you or how much/little exercise you take, there is another factor involved and that is genetic. Some people do all the “right” things but cannot lose weight.

That is likely to be due to the division between brown and white fat in our bodies. Brown fat is GOOD for you and keeps you slim as it burns off excess calories and keeps us warm. Babies are born with predominantly brown fat and over years through child and adulthood, this changes to white fat that stores any excess within the body. That’s the fat that is bad for you.

Developments are underway to find out how the body does this process and if possible reverse it. It may also be possible to take white fat from the body, convert it to brown fat and reinject it back into the body.

I am 59, height 5’ 11” and weigh (at the moment) 166lbs. I also seem to feel warm even on the coldest days so it looks like I have more brown fat keeping the middle-age spread away for longer. For exercise, I play golf a couple of times a week in the summer and curl in winter. I don’t go to any gym (I would find that really boring) but have cycled into work (about 9 miles each way) once or twice a week.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Tom, I love that weighing system! I rather fancy being one stone, (a big one!)
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Take your pick, B&B!
Stone walls Connemara, IRL..jpg
Tom.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !