Man wearing skirt set on fire

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Man wearing skirt set on fire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Just seen this disgraceful "prank" in the Oakland Tribune.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2013/1 ... et-on-fire

What is the world coming to?

Comments on this link:-

http://www.towleroad.com/2013/11/oaklan ... -fire.html

(from one of those comments - I didn't know it was dangerous to wear a shirt (sic) on the public transport system)
Other comments confirmed that it was travelling in a dangerous area and deserved it :shock: :shock: :shock: I am stunned at that comment! And blaming his mother!
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Man wearing skirt set on fire

Post by Sarongman »

Many comments were getting out of hand, with emotions on both sides getting heated. I have put a comment up under the pseudonym of "Da priest". I just gave a reasonable assertion as I saw it.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Update on Sasha showing support by fellow high school students & school staff.
Be sure to watch the video link in the article.
(there is a commercial prior to the news video)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

It's good to hear that the kid's on the mend, and even more impressive is the display of open support -- with even male school staff donning skirts.

At least they've got the perp, hopefully in custody, and with luck he'll get a good long stay behind bars. "Prank" my backside -- that was attempted murder, pure and simple. I don't care what your sexual/gender alignment is; people have a basic human right to go about their business and not get lit on fire.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

A pity that half of the boys and men went for the skirts over trousers option. And the other half, well maybe they chose skirt over shorts! But maybe a few decided to take the opportunity to discover the pleasures of wearing a skirt.

BTW what about that mother interviewed? She was proud of her daughter for wearing a skirt in support of the victim. Her daughter? WTF?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Thanks for the update Al. It's very heartening to see such support given to someone who is "different" and belies some of the stupid and ignorant comments that "he had it coming". I still, sadly, believe that the perpetrator will have a very small penalty applied, due to the fact that he was 16 and, consequently, a "minor", therefore unaware of the consequences of his actions.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
the_scott_meister

Post by the_scott_meister »

I read about this the other day and I feel for him deeply. It's quite sad when someone thinks that it's ok to do this, even if it was a "prank". Fire destroys, everything!

Hope that he can heal quickly but I know that it will be a long road for him.

I also read comments on a few other sites and I was appalled by the sheer hatred and stupidity of some people. They were no better than the crime itself.
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

Another related article-
'Teen whose skirt was set ablaze begins surgery'
http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Tee ... 961732.php
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pleated wrote:Another related article-
It's good that enough cash has come in that proper work can begin to repair the damage done, but that $20,000 is going to be gone in a couple of days; they'd better open that fund back up or it's going to be back to aspirin and bandage-changing (how 18th Century!) for the kid.

I'd still like to know what was going on in the head of the guy that committed the crime. I notice that the police are contemplating "assault" charges -- for what should be considered attempted murder, or, at the very least, mayhem. What are they thinking?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

crfriend wrote:
pleated wrote:Another related article-
It's good that enough cash has come in that proper work can begin to repair the damage done, but that $20,000 is going to be gone in a couple of days; they'd better open that fund back up or it's going to be back to aspirin and bandage-changing (how 18th Century!) for the kid.

I'd still like to know what was going on in the head of the guy that committed the crime. I notice that the police are contemplating "assault" charges -- for what should be considered attempted murder, or, at the very least, mayhem. What are they thinking?
I don't wish to get involved in the debate around medical costs in the USA. That would be like walking into a minefield, but surely there is some kind of arrangement to help victims of serious crimes?
That report is from Thursday and contains overcautious "legal-speak". I recall reading on one of the other later(?)* reports that they were going to charge the sixteen-year-old suspect as an adult. A name was also given, which I think does not happen in most jurisdictions if someone is being charged as a minor.

Edit- * See the update that Uncle Al posted
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Hospitals are required to treat anyone who comes to their facility, regardless of ability to pay. However, they only need to provide enough treatment to, "stabilize," the person. If, for example, an uninsured pregnant woman arrives in labor, the hospital has to deliver the child. But as soon as the mother and baby are capable of leaving the hospital they must, and they receive no further treatment.

Luke Fleischman, being 18, is probably covered under his parent's health insurance, but that coverage will almost certainly have limits. Physical therapy is probably limited to a certain number of treatments or days, for example, and there's generally little or no coverage for restorative or cosmetic surgery.

Fleischman or his parents could, of course, and probably will sue his attacker, the attacker's family, the bus company (for providing insufficient security), the maker of the cigarette lighter (or whatever was used) for selling a dangerous product, or the attacker's insurance company.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Tragic case indeed - when it comes to suing the lawyers go bonkers sue anybody-anything !
Several years ago I witnessed a fatal traffic accident - wound up I was sued just for being a bystander.
Little did they know I was formerly a Military Policeman and I furnished eye-witness detailed information
for the prosecution of the negligent driver and won a big time settlement for the decedents family.
But this skirt wearing person will have an awful time regardless of the legal redress to get his life back
in order and recover from the burn injuries. Poor soul !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
PatJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by PatJ »

Yes, Lawyers tend to go bonkers when it comes time to sue. They have to!

They usually only get one shot at a case like this, and they have to bring in everyone who is even remotely responsible for the damages. If someone is left out of the case - they are free and clear even if they were the one responsible, and the victim may not collect anything.

It is a sad state of affairs for the legal system, and I do believe that far too many people are of the mentality, "let's get rich from this", but I have no idea of how to improve or fix the system.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

r.m.anderson wrote:Several years ago I witnessed a fatal traffic accident - wound up I was sued just for being a bystander.

Were you wearing a skirt or kilt, thus distracting the driver? If not then - serious question - on what grounds?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

No this happened in October of '72 long before I had any idea of my skirted/kilted wearing interests.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !