Good day to everyone

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
DonDon

Good day to everyone

Post by DonDon »

Just wanted to introduce myself here and say hi. I have been interested in skirts and dresses all my life. I have looked deeply into my clothing choices in the last couple of years and have come to realize a lot of things about myself.
First, I have missed so much of what life has had to offer because I have been so scared that someone may find out my "secret". I have always felt ashamed and guilty about liking what I like. Scared to let anyone in for the fear that it would not be accepted.
Next, I have experimented with different dressing types (in secret mostly) to figure out exactly what is in my heart for me.
This year I finally ventured out in public fully dressed as a woman (thinking that I may be a full fledged crossdresser). Well to my surprise that is not the case. I remember thinking, "what the heck", where do I fit? Well I determined that I am a man, fully and completely, and happy that way. I just like different clothing that the main stream does not accept readily.
I am not into dresses, by that I mean I do not care for the "pretty" "frilly" womens clothing. I did not like the whole make up thing, nor the womens underclothing. I like skirts/kilts. I am hoping that I will have enough courage in the near future to start wearing them in public. I am just happy right now, that I have finally found something and some place that I feel more comfortable with.
Figuring "me" out
Milfmog

Re: Good day to everyone

Post by Milfmog »

Hello DonDon and welcome to our little corner of cyberspace.

I think a number of the folks here will identify with some aspects of the uncertainty you went through, but it seems you've found the right spot now. This is a space for guys who just like to have the option of wearing skirted garments instead of trousers some or all of the time.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

Hi & :welcome: to the site. try a kilt first just to see how you get on, you can get cheap ones on ebay to start you off
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

On one thread a term was proposed for those (both men and women) who like skirted garments - "skirtonians." Of course, a rigid dress code has imposed on the males a "trousers tyranny."
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

:welcome: Don, (it makes me uneasy calling a grown man DonDon, just a personal thing, nothing to do with you. I hope you don't mind me calling you Don.) I think you will find nearly all of us here have gone through the same progression you have to one point or less. At one time I actually spent 3 years in the South Pacific Island of Tonga so I could wear a Tupenu all the time. Terrific diving there, verrrry clear water but more than a few Tiger Sharks. Not a real problem unless you dive or swim in the evening or at night. The Tupenu is a wrap skirt that can be used as swimming trunks, above the knee or mid calf all depending on how it's folded.

Here's a pic of me at the 2006 World Series Of Poker. Some of us are skinny, some of us are not skinny. :faint:The fellow sucking his thumb had just lost the $1,000.00 buy-in to play in the H.O.R.S.E. Tournament. He was in and out in 7 minutes.
WSOP2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
DonDon

Post by DonDon »

Don is fine. It was a nick name of sorts given to me by some of my coworkers at my last job and it just kinda stuck.
I believe I would be sucking my thumb too if I lost a grand in 7 min. LOL.
I am thinking about getting a kilt. I have seen a couple of guys wearing them around here from time to time.
Figuring "me" out
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Don,

For a good, and economical, introduction to kilts I'ld suggest
stillwaterkilts.com. I have 3 of their 'standard' version kilts.
I suggest that you take your waist measurement, at the navel,
and go 1/2 to 1 full size smaller. You can always go up 1 & 1/2
sizes with the 3 holes in the buckles and straps. But you can't
go down below the smallest hole. If you need to, you'll have to
have the kilt straps and buckles moved if you lose weight.

They are extremely fast in shipping. I ordered 2 kilts on a
Saturday night, online, and had them in the mail the following
Tuesday. If there is a problem with the product, they will work
with you to correct it. Don't remove the X stitching around
the bottom of the kilt until you've tried it on. If the fit is good,
then remove the stitching. If not, they will take the kilt back
with no problems.

Uncle Al
(and his $.02 worth)

:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtRevolution »

Hey Don, welcome to a very large family of men that like skirted garments.I think I agree with other comments here. I have also loved skirts and dresses when growing up, I also struggled with crossdressing when growing up (this causes so much guilt and confussion). As a Christian now my views are very different concerning crossdressing and also educated concerning skirted garments (there is a huge difference). I think if society wasn't so restrictive (trouser tyranny as some say) many of us guy wouldn't have struggeled with crossdressing. My earliest memories of crosdressing wasn't to be "en femme" but simply to wear skirts and dresses, although grew into this as the only way to wear a skirt or dress was to pass as a woman in public. I think a lot of transgenderism today is cultured by the fact that men are not accepted in skirts and are not suppose to like them. I for one can say, that If i could have worn a skirt each day, I wouldn't have though much about crossdressing ever, if not at all. Skirts are a wonderful garments, and I hate that we are stigmatised if we like them. Our "mental professionals" today are quick to lables any guy in a skirt a transvestite or having gender disphoria. Well, thats just mental! any way, enough with the rant or I will wright a book. Welcome :)
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

I am quite horrified by the number of times the words "guilt" and "shame" come up when talking/writing about wearing skirts. How have we men allowed ourselves to be so tightly imprisoned in these sartorial conventions?
How come we (the stronger sex, able to think for ourselves and make decisions) have been unable to see that we are wearing strait-jakckets that inhibit us in so many ways?

Religion may explain a lot. I am similarly amazed at the way muslims impose all kind of restrictions on themselves that take all the joy out of every day living. Yet islam is the fastest groing religion. What is it in the human male brain that prefers prison bars to the open doors of freedom?

Martin
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

What is it in the human male brain that prefers prison bars to the open doors of freedom?
It has only one thing to do with the brain. The more rudimentary and unskilled the brain is, the more it is able to be controlled. All it takes is one loud mouth in White, and a million "open to anything, followers" and you have yet another "LOUD PERSON" to follow. They have many names for loud people, religious ones and political ones, they are all the same, Just loud. :faint:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

DonDon wrote:Just wanted to introduce myself here and say hi. I have been interested in skirts and dresses all my life. I have looked deeply into my clothing choices in the last couple of years and have come to realize a lot of things about myself.
First, I have missed so much of what life has had to offer because I have been so scared that someone may find out my "secret". I have always felt ashamed and guilty about liking what I like. Scared to let anyone in for the fear that it would not be accepted.
Next, I have experimented with different dressing types (in secret mostly) to figure out exactly what is in my heart for me.
This year I finally ventured out in public fully dressed as a woman (thinking that I may be a full fledged crossdresser). Well to my surprise that is not the case. I remember thinking, "what the heck", where do I fit? Well I determined that I am a man, fully and completely, and happy that way. I just like different clothing that the main stream does not accept readily.
I am not into dresses, by that I mean I do not care for the "pretty" "frilly" womens clothing. I did not like the whole make up thing, nor the womens underclothing. I like skirts/kilts. I am hoping that I will have enough courage in the near future to start wearing them in public. I am just happy right now, that I have finally found something and some place that I feel more comfortable with.
Don, welcome and thanks for the wonderful summary of your "journey". If they were to be honest with themselves I think most people have wondered what it's like to be, or at least appear as, a member of the opposite sex. Even simple curiosity can build if it's unanswered and I think the scenario you describe is probably a very common one, leading to all kinds of self-doubt, shame, and guilt depending on one's family and community culture. Self-hatred is such a poison. I'm so glad that you have risen above.

The whole politics of gender identity saddens me because it makes fetishes of normal things and normal things of fetishes. The fear we men feel of being seen as effeminate is the latter, a fetish arising from the idealisation of an archetype of masculinity. How did those ancient Roman men ever live with themselves, wearing those pretty white dresses and such?

I'll stop before I begin to rant or preach. Welcome again Don (from a newbie who already feels like a vet).
Daryl...