Newly Regestered

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
WyoProspector

Newly Regestered

Post by WyoProspector »

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I am 54, born in the US and I LOVE to explore. I don't have the luxury of time to hike and explore as much as I would like but get out every chance I get.
I visited this site, I guess it was about a year or so ago and I recall it was quite small. It is great to see its growth which, to me, indicates an ever growing acceptance of men wearing skirts.

I have been “sneaking” and wearing skirts, thrift store women’s wear, for many years because it was just not a man thing to do and, well, they didn’t make skirts and kilts for men.
I still wear these thrift store items at home, never in public. I don’t like to invite criticism. I don’t like “girlie” skirts or bright colors. I only wear neutral colors in non-pattern materials. I have my winter skirts and my summer ones. I have learned that nothing compares to the comfort of a skirt. They are warmer in the winter and “breezier” and much cooler- drier in the warmer months. Since I was a baby I have preferred to wear nothing but everybody knows that is not practical except on nude beaches ;-) A skirt gives the same freedom, in my opinion, as being naked but it won’t get you put in jail.

Now-a-days there are the new kilts which I am thrilled to see are being “sold out” at outdoor stores. I will be buying one for this summer. I am thrilled to be able to buy something of a skirt that I can defend as being made for a man. I feel I can wear this out hiking and prospecting and not be humiliated if I should meet someone.

I remarried five years ago to a Central American woman who is VERY traditional in thinking and it has been quite an effort to get her acceptance of me wearing skirts at home. Yesterday I was showing her the Elkommando Hiking Kilt and she thought it looked nice and is in favor of me buying one. I am very excited to say the least.

As one post that I read stated, I still need to be wary when out in the wilds here in Wyoming. People here are great and very independent but are not as fashion oriented as most places and my kilt can be viewed as lewd or unmanly by any one of the rugged fellow explorers/ prospectors I may encounter. However I feel I have a much better chance of getting by with a kilt which is traditionally a man’s garment than a modified women’s skirt.

I am happy to become a registered member of this site and I enjoy reading your views and opinions. Thank you to the moderator for keeping it clean and un-offensive.

I am as much of a man as any man. I am not afraid of much of anything except to give the opinion that I am a lesser man. I live here and I value what others in my small town think of me (to an extent). I was raised to think of men as the stereotypical “manly man” who wears denim jeans and burlap underwear and I still to this day and at my age “fear” ridicule due to my preference in what I wear. I am not alone, there are millions out there just like me.

Keep the forward momentum. I believe the old adage is not true “clothes makes the man”. Clothes are EXACTLY that, “CLOTHES”, nothing more. Don’t judge me by what I wear.

Glad to be here!
I can't think of anything to put here that won't offend SOMEONE.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Newly Regestered

Post by crfriend »

Greetings Prospector, and welcome to SkirtCafe!

Some bits of advice that you might find helpful as you venture forth into the world with "both legs down one pipe" is to first and foremost recall that confidence speaks volumes. If you are confident in your demeanour and in your chosen garb that will carry over to those around you; if you shrink, or are otherwise uncomfortable, that will show as well. Would-be detractors, like dogs, can smell fear and uncertainty.

I suspect you'll not find a more comfortable rig for hiking than a modern hiking kilt or a skirt of some form. However, depending on what you're prospecting for, you might consider the good old "lead BVDs" as espoused by Tom Lehrer. :D
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
WyoProspector

Re: Newly Regestered

Post by WyoProspector »

Appreciate the advice. One thing that helps me to be more confident is that hiking kilts are becoming more accepted and also to read that many who wear them write in reviews that most people are more intregued than anything by them.

Perhaps my usual complement of snake boots and side arm will temper the look :shock: .
I can't think of anything to put here that won't offend SOMEONE.